Print Story WFC postmortem
By Merekat (Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 10:45:42 AM EST) (all tags)
The subject is definitely dead.

Another Way To Get Through The Day

This was not the story I wanted to write, only a simplified, compromised version. The original idea was more complex but gave me nightmares and in the end I did not have the skill to deliver it in the time I finally allotted (while waiting for a rabbit stew to cook on the evening of the deadline) and possibly don't have full stop.

The title is from a Stereophonics song. I can't remember which at the moment but they are one of the more underrated big acts from my college music habits.

Things I managed to pull off okay - I wanted three roads, three different atmospheres, three stages. I also wanted to undermine the idea of a road as a metaphor for freedom. Some of the descriptions I quite like. Rain. Suburbia. Sunburn. But ultimately, it was a compromise.

My biggest failure was my viewpoint. I wanted Allie to be unreliable. I wanted more ambiguity in their relationship. Is he really a controlling bastard or is she actually immature and selfish? Is she perhaps a little unstable and doesn't know it, while he confusedly keeps trying to make their relationship work, so that the 'shock' ending becomes properly tragic? I don't think I managed that at all.

Unpleasantly through trying to work out how to write it, I ended up projecting the unstable narrator thing onto myself in dreams in which I was mad and a spectator on my madness, doing horrible acts and unable to stop. Pretty yuk.

Oh, and if anyone is interested in the more successful act of creativity that evening, the rabbit stew was about 1/2 a rabbit chopped up (with bones), browned in a pan then put in an ovenproof dish with some fresh rosemary, garlic, pepper, a slug or two of white wine, some diced potatoes, shallots, lemon juice, lemons and some chicken stock. It was baked in the oven for about 45 mins, then another 15 with foil off the top.

< WFC post mortem. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
WFC postmortem | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I liked it, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 11:01:56 AM EST
but it needed more story.  It was a very, very fine start with a sketch, a sort of framework for an ending.  I really wanted more words.

I think you should pursue it once it's been set aside for a while.

Also, I do my rabbit braised, then pot-roasted.  Braised in oil, garlic, and mustard seed, then deglaze with white wine, add tarragon, yellow mustard, more crushed garlic, and port-roast until juice runs clear (normally served ironically with braised or grilled carrot).
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

yellow mustard by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 11:04:13 AM EST
What is that in european? English? Dijon?

American? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 11:30:29 AM EST
It wouldn't be Dijon.  It's a refined, no-seeds form of mustard made from white and yellow mustard seeds.

French's!

I dunno what the euro equivalent is.  You could use dijon with extra vinegar to achieve a similar flavor.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Nice. by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 11:03:21 AM EST
So d'you have any suggestions as to how to get more people to write and/or read? Or to write before the night before the deadline? I thought the moving target deadline helped some with my process, at least, but I get the impression that only 2 of us would have had something done by the original due date.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

WFC by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 01:52:28 PM EST
I really messed up this time around.

I was intending to write, but just as I was about to sit down and start, the voting appeared.

Then tonight I was going to read and vote...

IFI.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Not to worry by ana (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 02:18:06 PM EST
Another story or five would have been nice. I suppose voting goes til 256 cuts it off, and he's kinda busy right now, so. Not anonymous any more, but hey.

And I, for one, am still interested in comments.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Like blixco said by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 03:57:43 PM EST
There was potential, but it wanted more. There wasn't enough James, I think, for the ambiguity to come through.

One subtly creepy hint about Allie, though, is how she's considering "going back to him" at the beginning of the story; by the end you realize there isn't exactly a him to go back to, in any sane sense. A few more touches like that in the middle would have made the story.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM