Print Story ``Only the mediocre are always at their best''
By lm (Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 11:23:36 AM EST) (all tags)
Would you trust someone who used that quotation (allegedly from Jean Giraudoux) in their .sig file?

Alternatively titled, this time of month always makes me cranky.

Yes, really.

We've got fifty some clients that use software designed in 1993 to run on Windows. Part of the design of this software was a `report' that does monthly accounting wrap ups. This report, though it takes no command line parameters, has to be run manually through a point and click interface for each client's database. Run time for the report can be everywhere from thirty seconds to fifteen minutes. All said and done, this is a tediously boring way to spend the morning.

On the bright side, I may have an interview lined up for a less stressful job that pays more money and offers better benefits. Benefits weren't all that much of a concern in the past as my children and I are generally in good health so health insurance is relatively cheap. My wife, however, is uninsurable. Presently she's on Medicare which has decent coverage (but getting worse) but she's making noises about maybe wanting to look for a job. If she gets a job, she'll lose her Medicare. This means (a) she's restricted to jobs that offer a group medical policy and (b) she has to commit for the long term. But if I could land a job with a group policy that covered the whole family, the twelve to eighteen months that it takes to get back on the Medicare wagon wouldn't be a factor as she'd have health coverage. She could try a job out and if she didn't like it, could quit without worrying whether or not a medical catastrophe was waiting in the winds.

On the financial side of things, we (as in my immediate family) do appear to be on the brink of sodomization. In hindsight, I suppose we couldn't really afford the vacation we took last month. On the other hand, I think the whole family really needed a vacation. And if the new tenants up at the Headache House keep paying rent, well have the vacation payed off before the end of the year. But what we don't have is cash on hand should we need another major card repair or means to pay tuition for fall quarter if I want to continue Greek studies. In fact, most of our newly acquired debt comes from tuition from last year's Greek classes. Well, either that or property taxes on Ye Olde House of Doome. We could have swung either/or. We ended up having to swing both.

Speaking of car repairs, it's a bit amusing to me how far cars have come quality wise. Our Eurovan hit 100k over our vacation. When I first started driving, it was a minor miracle that a car with 100k on it was still on the road. Today, I don't see any reason why we can't keep it going for another 100k.

This is all. For now.

< GenCon Adventures, Part 1 | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
``Only the mediocre are always at their best'' | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Yeah, I don't see any reason I can't hit 200k by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 11:30:23 AM EST
on my Tercel, just another 43k miles. It would do wonder for my cc debt, and I suppose I can live with 7 more years of freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer.

100k miles by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 11:30:40 AM EST
My 2000 Kia Sephia hit 115k and is still running.  Three years ago it developed a problem when  driving at  high speed (90mph).  Mechanics told  me I needed a new engine.  My solution was to  now drive above 80mph.  No problems for 25k miles.  We had a defective transmission, but other than that all repairs have been minimal.  All for a car that cost US$11,000 when  new.

If you think about that quote a bit by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 11:32:40 AM EST
it actually makes sense and means a handful of things. But no. I wouldn't trust them.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me by lm (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 12:09:01 PM EST
It  begs the question of whether or not a person can always be at his or her best. It essentially redefines mediocrity as consistancy. Anyone who is always at performance mode X is, according to this statement, mediocre. As mediocrity is now simply being consistant, it also implies that the same person cannot go into and come out of mediocrity.

Worse if it is true, it follows that a mediocre person is also always at their worst. So if you're hiring people and you hire a mediocre person, you know that this person will never perform below expectations whereas if you hire someone that is above mediocrity, you're knowing that at some point, he or she will fail.

The best spin I can put on it is that it is a mediocre attempt to be witty.

Cicero, The Republic
200k by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 05:40:23 PM EST
My Honda is 19 years old and has 167k miles on it. Looks like shit. Drives like almost new.

In high school, I drove a beater I inherited from grandparents. At 83k miles and at 8 years old, it was on death's door. Course, it *was* a Ford.

What I find shocking is the number of people who still replace cars every four years.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

lots of people round here by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 09:28:07 PM EST
4 years, what's taking so long? by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 05:20:08 AM EST
A friend of mine gets 24 month leases and he's itching to get a new SUV every 20 months.  He's currently driving an Escalade and will probably lease a Cayenne next.

Contrast that with me: gave away my 1994 civic with 170K on it to purchase a 2005 Vibe which already has 38K on it and is very close to being paid off.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
Leasing by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 06:03:30 AM EST
I gather he hates money.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman