Print Story Photo Fun Challenge 4: Friend
By fleece (Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 03:02:59 PM EST) photos, pfc (all tags)
sorry guys had a lot on and forgot about this. I was even too busy to write a WFC entry. I'm busy doing pre-production for a short film for this

BUT ON WITH THE PFC

The theme is "friend". Rules over the fold Update [2007-9-26 19:46:10 by fleece]: EXTENDING THIS TIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER SO I'VE GOT TIME TO TAKE A PHOTO FOR IT. THIS IS WHY TRADITIONALLY THEY DON'T LET EMPLOYEES ENTER COMPETITIONS BECAUSE THEY'LL DIDDLE THINGS TO ADVANTAGE THEMSELVES

The challenge is to get a photo of a friend - I'm defining friend loosely, so this could mean a wife, husband, sister, work colleague, etc.

However, it must show them engaged in some activity rather than a traditional staged portrait. Having said that, you don't have to "sneak up" on them with a camera - the shot can be set up to whatever extent you like, but they should be "doing" something.

The challenge is to capture the spirit of the person and convey a sense of what they're like through your photo.

Rules:

1. The photo must be taken and uploaded into this diary between now and 25th September. No old photos.
  2. One photo per user.
  3. NO post-processing allowed except for resizing.
  4. final image no larger than 1000x on any side
  5. a blurb for each image is encouraged
  6. The shot must be of a person, no animals
Now go take photos
< Happy Anniversary! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Photo Fun Challenge 4: Friend | 38 comments (38 topical, 1 hidden) | Trackback
Bah... by 606 (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 04:22:39 PM EST
all my friends moved away for school/work and I'm sore about and now you have to bring all that up? Bwaaaaaaaah!

Good idea, though. I'll see what I can do.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

I've got two words for ya' by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 03:11:03 AM EST
Web cam.

Living? by duxup (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 09:18:14 PM EST
Do these friends have to be living?

____

why u spending the weekend at bernie's again? by fleece (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Sep 03, 2007 at 11:22:27 PM EST

Ghost pictures by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 05:45:31 AM EST
would be sooo cool.

Do you have any ghost pictures?

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin

It does say by sgt york (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue Sep 04, 2007 at 07:56:21 AM EST
that you should "capture the spirit of the person".

Heh.

Two words:

1. Photoshop
  2. Ghostbusters
Ah, crap. "NO post-processing allowed except for resizing."

There is a reason for everything. Sometimes, that reason just sucks

will give it a shot by nullo (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 11:29:23 AM EST
although it will likely be a telephoto shot of my buddy attempting (and failing) to surf at pacifica

Interesting choice on post-processing by stark (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 11:21:39 PM EST
Dammit, I won't be able to digitally enhance my friend's assets :-)

Does "resizing" include cropping, or must it be exactly what you get straight off the camera (or at least in the same aspect ratio)?
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

sorry yes cropping is fine by fleece (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 06, 2007 at 01:05:46 AM EST
I just don't want it to come down to photoshop skillz. mainly because i don't have any :-p

no postprocessing? by komet (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 07:23:01 AM EST
or no digital postprocessing?

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
why does everyone always pick away the rules? by fleece (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Sep 07, 2007 at 04:13:57 PM EST
just don't fuck around with the picture after you've taken it alright. and if you do something that feels like loop-holing you're automatically disqualified.

My Entry by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #13 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 12:11:00 PM EST
Surfing, of course. A friend of mine last Saturday (8 Sept) in Ocean City MD.

Even resized it's too big to upload here.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Wait by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 01:01:36 PM EST
Do we post here or is there gonna be another submission diary?

Vive le Montréal libre.
i gues we just post in this one it's probably best by fleece (4.00 / 1) #16 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 01:31:29 PM EST
i'll make another linked-up diary later for the voting stage.

So what's the deadline for posting? by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 01:37:52 PM EST
I was kinda expecting a "Post your photos here, you have until ..." diary on the 25th.

Vive le Montréal libre.
deadline is the 25th by fleece (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:42:01 PM EST
so you got to have photos taken and uploaded by then

rules now updated to reflect this by fleece (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 02:43:37 PM EST

My entry by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 06:10:03 PM EST
Friend

This is a result of my aversion towards normal pictures of people. Facebook already has enough of those. It's a picture of a few of my friends doing what they do all day. I think it captures the spirit of what they're like better than any photo of their corporeal being could.

I started out trying to take a picture of #Husi, but it didn't really come out in any way that you could tell what it was, so I settled for the more distinctive Hole in the foreground with IRC and Adium in background windows.

Only post-processing was resizing. The only staging involved was hitting alt-tab, nudging the laptop to a different angle, and moving my subwoofer to a better location to be used as a tripod.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Different, but good. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 06:13:05 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

AAAGH THE BACKLIGHTING IT BURNS by discordia (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 02:05:58 PM EST

self portrait by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 06:03:23 PM EST

An attempt to capture the spirit of Clover Kicker.

big version

Methodology: 15 second exposure in a dimly lit room.  Click the shutter while standing out of the shot, count to 3, dash into the shot and stand still as possible until the camera beeps.

Finding the right intensity of background light was fiddly, especially since the postprocessing ban forbids contrast tweaks.

Post-processing: crop and resize.

Many years ago my cheap 35mm glitched while visiting Ottawa, and I got a great double exposure of Parliament Hill from 2 angles. When someone mentioned ghost pictures, I Knew What I Had To Do.

I realize I'm bending the rules pretty hard, i.e. it's a self portrait and not a friend, and presumably fleece forbade postprocessing to discourage trick pictures like this...

My intentions are honest, but I won't be offended if the picture is disqualified. I don't have any other ideas, and I would never have attempted this shot if it wasn't for the contest.

very clever by cam (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 04:48:40 AM EST
It's a cute gimmick by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #24 Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 03:27:44 PM EST
I'm sure someone with actual artistic ability and a hawt nekkid chick for a subject could shoot a really nice picture this way.

I will do my best by discordia (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 03:52:29 PM EST
but this month is bad

a real husiite would find the time /nt by fleece (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 04:36:06 PM EST

you have to understand by discordia (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 09:29:14 AM EST
that there are many things competing for my disposable play-time budget.

I'll settle for carrying my camera around more.  If that produces a situation in which relevant photography can occur, fine.

If not, so be it.

sleeping bear dunes by garlic (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Sep 21, 2007 at 03:36:49 AM EST

first plea for extension by discordia (2.00 / 0) #30 Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 02:42:20 PM EST
my surfing buddy was down with strep so I had no opportunity.

so I can either give you pics of my family, which I won't, or do abstract mindfuck emo bullshit games, which is stupid.

your choice.

GIVE CYCLOPS-KITTEN AN EXTENSION by discordia (2.00 / 0) #31 Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 07:49:52 AM EST

OR SHE WILL EAT YOU

Dear PFC Masters, by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 08:12:31 AM EST
Why are you always staging PFCs when Im supposed to be moving houses? Ive got a photo, but it will probably be a day or two before I post it. Of course, if the PFC is totally closed, Ill just post a diary and mock everyone who did enter in time.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
This isn't my normal bailiwick... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 04:21:01 AM EST
...but I thought about the PFC when I was at ACL so here's an entry...

On the left is Welsh Girl. On the right is Dredlock Girl. On stage is Blonde Redhead. I think that kinda says it all.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

friends by discordia (2.00 / 0) #34 Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 12:37:00 PM EST
This isn't a picture of a friend of mine, per se.  This shot is from a playgroup that we got together last week with some family friends.

The two tykes are singing along (incoherently) to 'old mac donald'.  They are best friends.

toxicfur, writing. by ana (4.00 / 1) #35 Sun Sep 30, 2007 at 03:30:34 PM EST

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

request for PFC status update by discordia (2.00 / 0) #36 Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 08:47:29 AM EST
are we extending further?  are we voting?

et tu, fleece? by LilDebbie (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 06:04:31 PM EST
i thought we had something.

Astro Pulp. Updated Mondays. Usually.

don't ask questions by fleece (2.00 / 0) #38 Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 02:05:23 AM EST
while i'm quietly falling apart

Photo Fun Challenge 4: Friend | 38 comments (38 topical, 1 hidden) | Trackback