Print Story Writing Fun Challenge, the Seventh
By ana (Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 05:20:52 AM EST) WFC, WFC7, Writing, Fun Challenge (all tags)
It's nearly October, and you know what that means...

Update [2007-10-2 22:31:42 by ana]: Now, with upload site link!

Update [2007-10-21 16:39:53 by ana]: Now, with new slightly delayed deadline!

Time to warm up for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). I therefore propose the following exercise, as a Writing Fun challenge. Herewith, the rules.

People usually write fiction for these things, but you need not. Creative non-fiction, or even an anthropology paper, could fit the theme.

There's a chance, if enough people vote for your story, that it'll be included in a book. Provided, of course, that mumblemumblemumblemumble.

• The contest will run from now through Saturday October 27 at 0700 GMT. This means you should probably get it in by the previous evening, in most time zones. Voting will commence as soon thereafter as I can post a poll.

I'm disinclined to grant extensions, what with this being a warm-up for NaNoWriMo, which will begin very shortly thereafter. Write early, write often. If you start now, you can write over several weekends.

Update [2007-10-21 16:39:53 by ana]: The new deadline is Monday, October 29 at 0700 GMT. This will give people one more all-important weekend to ruminate. Note that this is till a gawd-awful hour in essentially everybody's time zone, so get it in the previous evening.

• The theme is loneliness and found objects. Include both of these items in your story.

• The word limit is 2500 words.

• An upload site will be provided. Watch this space. 256 seems to be kinda busy lately; does anybody else have web space and expertise to provide anonymous posting? We might be able to tease some php code out of himself, at least. Update [2007-10-2 22:31:42 by ana]: The upload site is here. Thanks (and congrats) be unto 256.

As always, cheating is encouraged. As are epistolaries at dawn.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Writing Fun Challenge, the Seventh | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I was all alone by DullTrev (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 06:25:36 AM EST

And then I found trolling. The End.

Do I win a prize?

DFJ?
And in under the limit. by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 09:41:08 AM EST
That's odd, my post didn't well ... post. by belldandi (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 07:37:19 AM EST
I have some hosted space I can put up for use. I can create a generic ftp account for all, or I could try and deploy some php code if it's available. I'm not too strong on the web coding stuff, but I wouldn't mind trying ^_^.

Regards,
-Bell

Thanks! (for ...) by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 09:42:47 AM EST

... taking the bull by its/the horns.
... taking charge, taking command, and taking no prisoners.
... taking the time to announce this with clear enough goals, deadlines, etc.

I'm looking forward to it -- as I always think at first regarding WFCs -- and promise to submit, er, something. At some point. In the next month.

let me by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 02:05:42 PM EST
See if I can get something set up this weekend.

Click
I might actually be able to participate by debacle (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 06:09:57 PM EST
MIGHT.

No need to resort to threats. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 09:52:01 AM EST
n/t

I'm in by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Oct 19, 2007 at 07:36:44 AM EST
Damn thing started writing itself last night.

-- Do the math.
Boring Technical Question by mpacks (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 04:58:32 AM EST
Sorry for this ... but how do I post the story so it shows formatting?  I can only get it to post so it looks like one long uninterrupted paragraph.

If you by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 10:11:21 AM EST
insert html tags in it, it'll be formatted accordingly. For example, <P> tags start new paragraphs, and italics go inside <I>tags</I> Or if it's plain text and you call it something.txt it might come out readable on most people's screens

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Using Google docs HTML formatting by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Oct 27, 2007 at 06:13:53 PM EST
Is often the least tedious way.

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo