Print Story Four hundred twenty miles.
By blixco (Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 04:36:57 PM EST) (all tags)
Round trip.

My impressions of Corpus Christi: it is El Paso with a beach.  A depressing beach, rotted and sparse, surrounded by oil refineries and meth addicts.

It was a damn fine drive, though.  And the USS Lexington is pretty cool, albeit creepy as hell.  I was lost in the halls, touring the captain's quarters and CIC, when all the power shut down.

I swear to you, I do not get freaked out easily, nor do I have claustrophobia.  The power outage was brief but I can tell you that ship is haunted.  Absolutely goddamn haunted.

< ATTENTION HuSi USian Football Fantasy League Infidels! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Four hundred twenty miles. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Big freakin' deal... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 05:11:44 PM EST
That's how far it is to Marfa one way. You've driven I10. 420 miles is nuthin'...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Oh, I know, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 05:38:06 PM EST
but try it on backroads.  Two lane things that hit every small town.

It was a fun trip.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Touche... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 08:17:21 PM EST
The trip to Longview through all those little towns can be a painin the ass...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I once did ~130 miles on a fully-loaded bike, by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 05:54:12 PM EST
but all downhill and with the wind.

That aircraft carrier looks pretty freakin cool. So they just let you go on and visit, or do you know someone?

They let anyone on. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 05:57:31 PM EST
It's a museum.  They used it in the film Pearl Harbor, where it played a japanese boat and itself.

Damn fine boat.  They keep it in great shape.  The parts I was able to visit were quite cool, and I talked with the librarian, who is this old guy who flew B24 mail flights to that boat.

It was a cool experience, but that one deck was spooky as hell.  I swear to you, that place has ghosts.

Also, it smells like all ships smell: like fresh paint.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Still blows me away by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 06:44:03 PM EST
that they managed to build those things back in the 1940s.

Why? by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 07:18:22 PM EST
You know, people actually labored back in the day, unlike today's softies.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

And I would walk five hundred eighty more by alien zero (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 06:13:49 PM EST
(Doesn't have the same ring to it)

Nice pics though.

I sincerely doubt it's haunted. by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 06:52:55 PM EST
People would have had to have died in, or around it, for that to be the case.

Well, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 07:04:26 PM EST
though the IV was put to rest at sea during WW2, the V had this event, among others:

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

And, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 07:11:23 PM EST
by IV I mean CV02, V is CV16, originally slated to be Cabot, was changed when Lexington was sunk in the Coral Sea.

The current Lexington was the oldest carrier when it was retired in 1991 (comm. 1943).  It has close to 500,000 successful landings, a record that will not be broken now that we retire carrier groups with great gusto.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

That's great, but by ni (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 27, 2007 at 08:36:35 PM EST
when do you figure georgeha and I should meet you in Rochester?

"What woman wouldn't love a guy in WW2 aviator glasses eating their ass?" -- dest
Can't do it. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 04:09:27 AM EST
My friend Gabe is going to be in town, both for work (he still works for us on contract) and to visit.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
¥ou should know better. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 28, 2007 at 09:07:21 AM EST
Hauntings don't have to take place at the death site. Often times the haunting is where the deceased spent most of their time, or at a place that had significant meaning.

IME - there were personal effects in the closet of the deceased. She died in a nursing home.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin

midway, in san diego -- also cool. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 12:32:42 PM EST
Very interesting to compare the space on one of these vs the space on subs like the cobia in Manitowoc, WI.

HUGE. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Oct 01, 2007 at 01:39:02 PM EST
The Lexington (CV16, dunno about CV02) is small for a carrier.  820ish feet long, narrow to make it through the Panama Canal, small footprint.

Yet the smallest corridor that I found was 5 foot 6 inches.  The doors were spacious enough for my shoulders.  In a sub, I have to turn sideways to move down a corridor.  I have to duck as well.  I can't really fit in even a Virginia class sub.

But a carrier?  Hell, they have an escalator leading from the flight deck to the hangar.

My brother was a Marine, toured Enterprise when she was at her late 80's peak.  She has 1100something foot length, and my brother reported that she had more amenities than the city he and I lived in.  HUGE goddamn thing.
---------------------------------