Print Story It's been ages
By skippy (Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 04:13:37 PM EST) Strangeloop, jobs, shilling, recruiting, omgwtfbbq (all tags)
but after being downsized and taking a break, I am settling in at my new job.

Inside:  does anybody want a job?

So yes... I now work here: http://www.strangeloopnetworks.com/

We are currently looking for skilled C/linux developers, and I think possibly another .NET team member as well.  Details on the company's website.  Yeah, it's startup-y, but it's quite well-funded (see the press releases), we have a product, and it seems like there's a good market for it.

The company is located in Vancouver (BC) and would probably prefer local candidates, but they are willing to make exceptions for the right candidate.

If you want me to pass something on to HR directly, please mention it here or drop me a line via PM.

< Video House Gophers | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's been ages | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
My not being a developer by blixco (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 05:47:37 PM EST
will eventually result in my downfall.

How are general IT / sysadmin jobs in that area?  I've a strength in security and a weakness in storage.  I admin UNIX, Linux, Macs, Win-doh!s and, hell, name it.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

As far as I know by skippy (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:24:58 AM EST
the local market is still reasonably hot in pretty much everything.  There tends to be a bit of a shortage locally in UNIX and Linux capabilities - at least on the development side, but I assume that it would probably also apply to the IT/sysadmin side as well.

Spoke too soon! by skippy (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Sep 26, 2007 at 12:51:37 PM EST
It looks like we just listed an opening for a skilled IT/Network/Systems Analyst:

Ah by Gedvondur (4.00 / 4) #2 Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 05:56:30 PM EST
Layer 7 application specific acceleration.

From my understanding your main competitors would be F5 Networks, Citrix, Cisco, Foundry Networks, plus a couple of others.

Strangeloop is a VC funded startup, the special sauce is software, the base hardware is a Dell 1u server.

My understanding is that Strangeloop's claim to fame is largely on MS specific acceleration.  Ajax is more of a recent thing.

Interesting little company, from all reports the appliance performs as advertised.  The only knock I have ever heard about Strangeloop is the product is targeted at only asp.net applications (and now Ajax) where as other application acceleration devices can address a much wider range of acceleration.

This makes Strangeloop a point acceleration product  for targeted installations rather than large scale deployment in the enterprise.

Very interesting technology, however.  I think there is a better than average chance a competitor will sweep Strangeloop up if it can keep momentum.

That should be a good thing for you Skippy, one would hope you are receiving options as part of your compensation.

Good luck with the new job!

Gedvondur
"It is virtually impossible to effectively aim a jellyfish, a creature created by God almost solely for the purpose of not flying."- CRwM

ghetto 7 by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 03:20:37 AM EST
Good analysis! by skippy (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:32:13 AM EST
We're actually angel investor funded, as opposed to VCs.  You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, but there are some subtle differences between the two (aside from pronunciation).

Indeed we do create a wonderful magic box that accelerates ASP.NET applications.  While that does put us in more of a niche market, it also allows us to focus our capabilities on being able to do more advanced things because we are only accelerating ASP.NET.  While it is more of a targeted installation product for specific applications that need scaling, there does seem to be a reasonably good market out there for it.

And yeah, if things go well at the very least I would expect someone to be interested in buying the company.

If you are interested in more details as to what sorts of optimizations we are doing, our evangelist Richard Campbell let the cat out of the bag in one of his blog posts a while back:  http://www.campbellassociates.ca/blog/PermaLink,guid,1ee1c4cd-fa2f-4934-91d8-7eba7c7cbcb6.aspx

An additional nice feature of working here is that some of my (fantastic) co-workers from many years ago when I was but a lowly co-op student (working at a different startup) are on my team here.

heh thanks by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 11:10:53 AM EST
Interesting, I'll check the blog out.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, I am an industry analyst with coverage in Strageloop's market, so that wasn't all just off the cuff.  :-)

That being said application acceleration isn't my main bag, but I do keep tabs on the market.  Good luck with the new job!

Gedvondur

Damn. by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 03:44:36 AM EST

Canadia.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
And I quote... by skippy (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 07:34:24 AM EST
"would probably prefer local candidates, but they are willing to make exceptions for the right candidate."

I suppose it depends if you want to work in the office or not, but we do have developers that telecommute, and some from more remote areas.  I have talked to the CEO about it, and for the right candidate he said that they would be happy to make the necessary accommodations.  If you've got the skills and are interested in the job...

It's been ages | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback