Print Story ATTN: GAME INDUSTRY INFIDELS
Working life
By HappyDude (Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 12:47:12 PM EST) (all tags)
I'm still a bit new to this, so I'm wondering... Are schedules f*%@ed no matter who you're working for?

From day one on this game, the studio heads were saying "this is a tight schedule". We're coming up on the second milestone and miraculously I've only had to put in minimal overtime. There's lots of grumbling around the studio about the scheduling, but I always thought this was how the games industry did it.

So what's it like out there? Anybody know what it's like inside the Blizzards of the world, where you ship when it's ready rather than when the publisher says it's ready?

< What's the deal with this "Street Prophets" site? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ATTN: GAME INDUSTRY INFIDELS | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well, by blixco (4.00 / 2) #1 Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 01:04:38 PM EST
I can tell you that friends who worked with EA were slaves to schedule.  The only things that could push schedule were funding or show-stopping test issues.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
OK by HappyDude (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 03:56:03 AM EST
But how realistic were the schedules?

Normally by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Sep 24, 2007 at 05:40:49 AM EST
they were driven by marketing.

Which means, relatively unrealistic to jokingly unrealistic, depending on the marketing manager and the liaison between dev and marketing.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Mom's Basement by leviramsey (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 02:49:17 PM EST

Because you're in charge.

OTOH, if you want the best place to code and make enough money to live on by doing it, then I'd probably say in finance.

Could I be the next Lee Abrams?
aerospace design cycles by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Sep 23, 2007 at 05:20:27 PM EST
are a lot slower than other commercial sectors. We still have schedule problems though.

ATTN: GAME INDUSTRY INFIDELS | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback