Print Story Oh no it's Devo
Boredom
By georgeha (Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:03:25 AM EST) fossils, LPs, charity, hexity goodness (all tags)
-nian.

Plus, The Bitter Woods, The Colour of Magic (and the Light Fantastic), bad beer, return of Irish_sister, make a grown man cry, burnout, hoary breezy edge, and less.

Poll: What time do you get up on Saturday?

I think I'm going to have to upgrade my hoary old Ubuntu installation. I want to learn Vassal to get my wargame fix, but it requires Java, and no, not the refreshing coffay beverage, a java that just won't load on hoary. The path to something current requires going through all the intermediate steps though, it may be quicker just to backup my home and email and do a fresh install. Either way it's going to be a pain.

Maybe I'll scrape my Win2k partition too, I no longer have much interest in dual booting.

In book news, I figured I'd start at the beginning of the diskworld series, the local library had
The Colour of Magic. it was good, the series did improved, but it's still lightweight fun in my book.

In other book news, I ploughed through Eisenhower's (no, not that one, his son)
The Bitter Woods, probably the definitive treatment on te Battle of the Bulge. It's darn hefty though, just the thing to keep you busy during a long winter's night while sipping on strong ale.

Speaking of strong ale, I'm disappointed in Mendicino's Summer Ale, a spicy Belgian white. Now, I've never had a real Belgian white, but I do like Blue Moon's and Saranac's interpretation. This one, not so much, the spice taste was overwhelming, it was almost like drinking something medicinal. It may go over better in the winter.

I was able to pick this up cheap when I went to the big beer store Tuesday to get home brewing supplies (next up, Wise Ass Red Bitter). I had signed up for a field trip for 6 year old's class, we went down near the salt mines to look at an exposed hill and collect rocks and fossils. There were lots of small fossils there, brachiopds and crinoids mostly, probably from the Devonian. It would have been a good opportunity to dress like this , but I just wore a khaki floppy hat and khaki cargo pants. I hadn't ridden a schoolbus in decades. Best of all, we got back in time for me to run to the beer store.

I needed the day off of work, too. I'm feeling burned out, and I'm not sure why. It could be that I need a change after 4 1/2 years of doing the same stuff, it could be that the last three years of home stress have burned me out and it's creeping into work, it could be that I need a vacation (I didn't take one this year, hording my days off to work around child care issues if needed). I'm not thrilled with my performance at work lately, I need to ponder this.

Sunday we ran into Irish_sister, she's working at the local Goodwill. It was just a little strained, she lives near us, but she doesn't feel comfortable stopping by, and that space may be still needed. Mrs. Ha got clothes for herself and the girls, I couldn't find anything to wear, but I got some books.

The garage sale went well in that we got rid of a lot of stuff, and I nearly made grown men cry. One guy asked if I had any albums, well, I had lots, crates full. Unfortunately they were water damaged from a hurricane that flooded us a few years back, I sold about 20, but the collectors said I could have made a lot more if they weren't damaged. Oh well.

All told, we made about $60 USD, I kept $10, and gave the rest to Mrs. Ha and the girls. It was tiring, I had to get up at 6:30 to get everything ready, we got rained on repeatedly, and I'm done with sales for a few years. This Saturday I'm sleeping in.

< Guess who's coming to dinner | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Oh no it's Devo | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
colour of magick by discordia (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:19:26 AM EST
you can tell that Pratchett started out the discworld series with only a loose concept of what it would ultimately turn out to be

and I for one am very glad it didn't turn out to be lightweight humantasy fantumor?  whatever.

I don't miss rincewind, either.

Bah. Rincewind was the best. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:34:55 AM EST
By the time he got to Cohen the Barbarian and his daughter, he evolved into something a good deal more appealing than what he started out as.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
disagree by discordia (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:02:30 AM EST
he's totally monochromatic, no dynamic range at all

Where are the heavier books? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:07:20 AM EST
Lets see, I've read Soul Music, The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Men at Arms and Feet of Clay, they're all pretty lightweight to me.

from the listing @ by discordia (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:13:29 AM EST

Small Gods
Thief of Time
The Truth
Going Postal
Lords and Ladies
Going Postal
Thud

Basically the Vimes books are much darker and more introspective.  None of this 'what do I run away from today' bullshit.  I'm also very much into the History Monks and the new semi-main characters that have spun off in ankh-morpork.

Rincewind is, imo, leftovers from when Pratchett thought he was going to write AD&D spoof-humour.

I do prefer Vimes and Carrot by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:19:09 AM EST
but I'm not ready to move them out of lightweight and fluffy yet.

they start out pretty light by discordia (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:21:30 AM EST
just keep reading.  I'd argue that pratchett's later books are much better than the earlier.

except for the witches books.  those make me lol and lol and lol.  different purpose, though.

no-one will tell you Pratchett .EQ. Nietzsche by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 03:23:13 PM EST
but there's a great dialog at the end of The Hogfather that I thought was kinda profound (at least for books that I read).

Come on down to the fair. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:35:22 AM EST
DEVO is playing tomorrow night. They're still a great show, I hear.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
Which Devo? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:43:32 AM EST
1.0 or 2.0?

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
The old guys. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:16:35 AM EST
Thank goodness.

Although the kid version of DEVO isn't as bad as you'd think.

That's a long drive by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:10:29 AM EST
though Devo is on my list to see, someday.

Reading... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 08:40:25 AM EST
Have you been reading your Jon Scalzi and Richard K. Morgan?

Scalzi's plot lines are a bit worn - kind of Heinlein-rehashed - but the stories are fun. Morgan is one of the most creative writers I've read in a while, if you want to read about cyber-punk version of Mike Hammer, you can't go wrong with Altered Carbon and Th1rt3en is a fun extrapolation of modern American politics to their final, splintery conclusion.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Not yet by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:20:55 AM EST
but they'll be on my list to read.

Scalzi ftw by discordia (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 09:48:55 AM EST
fun fun read

sleeping in by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 11:38:47 AM EST
I try to get 8 hours of sleep Friday night regardless of what time that means getting up, but I generally wake up around 7:30 (about half an hour after my weekday wake up time) no matter what.

I think I average 10 hours on Friday night by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 02:53:52 PM EST
to make up for my 7 hours during the week.

WIPO by dmg (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 12:06:43 PM EST
Seldom if ever before noon.
"the fact that absolutely no evidence of their existence can be found only serves to make them stronger and more frightening".
I second that by greyshade (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 12:39:12 PM EST
naptime

WIPO: Whenever my wife gets mad [nt] by debacle (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 03:40:05 PM EST

WIPO by Phage (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Sep 20, 2007 at 11:45:03 PM EST
When the insistent pain of the hangover can no longer be ignored.

Oh no it's Devo | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback