Print Story Clumsy
Health
By riceowlguy (Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:37:17 AM EST) (all tags)
Or, why I can't be trusted with sharp objects.

So, I was trying to slice this four-day-old hard ciabatta roll in half last night, missed, and got my left index finger on the knuckle instead.

You know how your brain works in such moments?  In about half a second, I had the following thoughts:
"Boy, that was stupid."
"I'll bet that's going to bleed pretty badly."
"Yeah, that's really bleeding."

Got it wrapped up tight, with gauze and surgical tape.  Really tight.  As in cutting off all circulation to the finger.  Only way to stop the bleeding.  I've had this happen before, last year, although it was with broken glass.  I was pretty calm about the whole thing.

So, I drove myself to the minor emergency center, waited three hours, and got it stitched up.  The doctor tried to be all clever with where he shot the lidocaine, avoiding the actual wound area, but to no avail.  Something about nerve density in the hands.  In the end he had to shoot it right in there, and that worked, eventually.

Now I'm kicking myself for not taking him up on the offer of pain meds.

Luckily, I'm at a point in my work where I don't have to be typing that much (although, obviously, I can type this diary, so it's not that bad).  Also luckily I don't seem to have done any real damage.

I need to get a bagel slicer.  I've had a couple of close calls with that bread knife before.  I guess in general I should learn to be more careful with knives.

Anyway, how are you?

< The Bright Lights of the Yukon - Vacation Part II | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Clumsy | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm getting better by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:49:22 AM EST
I can now walk a mile, albeit slowly.

The right sized bra shipped yesterday, so one day soon I will have proper support and my back should be in significantly less pain.

I learned I can renew my passport via mail, so I'm off to the post office in a bit.

w00t by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 07:21:33 AM EST
[n]ipples [t]ethered.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Typical USians... by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 07:26:12 AM EST
...blaming their tools.

Actually I have a similar mark on top of the knuckle of my left hand middle finger. I used a modelling scalpel to create mine when I was 12.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Fine, thanks. by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 08:00:18 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

ALWAYS GET THE PAIN MEDS by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 08:19:49 AM EST
the leftovers are nice for recreational use

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Actually, what Husi really wants to know . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 08:24:49 AM EST
. . . is why the hell would you want to eat four-day-old hard bread, ciabatta or no batta!

Fresh bread = no cutting injuries

I didn't really want to eat it by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 09:18:12 AM EST
but it's what I had on hand.

Gash in my finger, thanks. by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 08:44:22 AM EST
Which I did with a blunt instrument. Not clear exactly how. But yeah, I recognize the thought process.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Funny how anesthetizing a finger almost always by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 08:59:32 AM EST
hurts more than originally cutting it.

I've got one of those nasty scrapes on my non-dexterous pointer's big knuckle, thanks.

I have a scar in the joint of my left index finger by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 09:45:51 AM EST
I was opening a steak when I was cooking in a restaurant, and the knife slipped. "Oh," I thought. "I hope I don't bleed on the food. Fuck, they won't notice." I kept cooking until I realized that the cut was worse than I first thought. I ran my hand under cold water and realized the cut was down to the bone (as in, I could see the bone). And then, because I'm an idiot, I didn't go to the hospital to get free stitches and pain meds - instead, I wrapped it up tightly with butterfly bandages and gauze and kept working. That finger still makes weird rubbing noises when I flex it.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
:-0 by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 10:16:19 AM EST
:-0

:-0

:-/

Isn't that cool, though? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 10:56:03 AM EST
Being able to see the bone, I mean.

I slashed my index finger open once, and in the time it took the finger to remember to bleed like hell, I flexed it several times to see if I'd cut anything except skin and fat. Fortunately I hadn't - but the skin pouched wide open letting me see my own innards.

That was when I discovered that I'm as calm and rational as Vulcan during an emergency, but I whine like a little kid during the recovery period.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

It really was cool. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 11:01:58 AM EST
It's amazing just how /white/ bone is. And yeah - I'm perfectly fine during an emergency. I can look at myself or others bleeding profusely, and I have no problems. Afterwards, the panic attack and the shakes set in, and once that's over, the whining commences.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
I sliced off the very tip of my right thumb by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 10:47:46 AM EST
three or four times because I was trying to chop veggies like a TV chef. Eventually, I learned to slow down.

I still have a very slight dent in the tip of that thumb, though.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Clumsy | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback