Print Story Parenting Jobs Mom Never Warned Me About.
Politics
By ObviousTroll (Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 04:37:45 PM EST) (all tags)
1. Explaining why the boomers are going to destroy the economy over the next 20 years.

We were listening to Terry Gross interview Allen Greenspan after dinner tonight. She was trying to lead him into blaming Bush's War and his Tax Cut For the Rich for the economy and the terrible deficit. The only problem was, he felt (a) the war was cheap and (b) the taxcut was good and (c) it was better for the government to run a deficit than a surplus.

Have you ever heard her interview of Gene Simmons? The man did everything but sexually assault her right in the studio and she never lost her poise - but when Greenspan said that, you could hear her gargling while she thought of what to say.

Understand, Greenspan doesn't think the war was a good idea, he just doesn't think it is "expensive" given the size of the US economy. Similarly, he doesn't seem to think the current deficit is bad - in fact, he thinks it's much better than what would happen if the government actually started buying back debt and buying stocks or bonds on the commercial market.

So, anyway, Gross asks him what he thinks the real problem the US faces and he tells her that it's Medicare. What was really funny is he didn't even sugar coat it. He thought it was terrible that Congress and all the candidates were willing to let the boomers start retiring and then cut their Medicare benefits once they got too expensive. He didn't pretend they could raise taxes high enough, he just said that once the boomers all actually tried to use the benefits that they were promised, Congress would cut them and that was terribly unfair.

It was, at that point, that I said "damn boomers, always ruining everything for the rest of us." And then I had to try and explain to my 10 year old what a boomer was and why everything bad about America was all their fault.

I don't think she understood it but, once she starts paying 15-20% in payroll taxes I'm sure she'll understand.1

Update [2007-9-18 21:43:22 by ObviousTroll]:1 For you non-USA-ians, payroll taxes are on top of the income taxes and you don't get any deductions.

< Good news, for a change | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Parenting Jobs Mom Never Warned Me About. | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Also note by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 05:02:27 PM EST
That payroll taxes are regressive.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
OOooo yeah. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 06:08:09 PM EST
The worst part is, I prefer our current f'ed up system to letting Congress try and "reform" it.

Actually, I'd almost be willing to endorse a fascist dictator for the USA if he'd actually rationalize our tax system - the prospect of 600 or so tax-fatten pigs bellying up to the trough under the pretense of "fixing the problem" is more than I can bear.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

The only solution by debacle (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 05:00:12 AM EST
Is to start lacing your parent's food with arsenic.

I disagree by Phage (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:13:08 AM EST
There's a lot that can be done with a clock tower.

You know, it's funny. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:50:20 AM EST
I hear "baby boomer" and "clock tower" and the first thing that popped into my head was "bong!"

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
As in the sound of a bell ? by Phage (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:53:37 AM EST
Or the other...device.

Won't work, due to 'Keith Richards' Syndrome. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 06:49:35 AM EST
Most of them have built up a high tolerance for non-traditional pharmaceuticals.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Greenspan vs. Gene Simmons by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 19, 2007 at 09:30:39 AM EST
I haven't seen either interview, but from what I've seen of Gross, I'd say that she was a bit out of her league.  Granted, there aren't many people in the same league when it comes to discussing economics with Greenspan, but it's easier to keep your composure against a difficult person you feel is an imbicile than someone who disagrees with you and had the credentials and experience to win any argument on the topic.