Print Story The "Dragon" is dead
By Imperial Mince (Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 10:52:38 PM EST) (all tags)

I'm not saying I'm glad he's dead, but..
< A matter of perspective, no doubt | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
The "Dragon" is dead | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Never heard of him. (nt) by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 12:51:57 AM EST

Tolkien knock off by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 01:24:03 AM EST
But he started publishing before he'd finished writing.
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 02:34:04 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

He heard Douglas Adams had a trilogy in 4 parts by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 02:42:53 AM EST
And decided to write one in 13
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
heh by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 02:54:07 AM EST
About ten years ago I first predicted he would die with the series unfinished. With that amount of time passed, I really should have been wrong.

I would mock by R Mutt (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 03:18:55 AM EST
But I have a horrible suspicion "A Song of Ice and Fire" is going to wind up unfinished in the same way.

I think he did have a bit of cheek choosing a Hemingway character as his pen-name though. If you're going to write the most bloated, over-elaborate series in history, don't choose a non de plume from the tersest, simplest writer around...

Oh he'd better not by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 03:52:18 AM EST
You're right, he has already started going that way, but maybe this will make him start writing his stupid books instead of watching gridiron.
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
nom de plume? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 08:44:49 AM EST
Or non de plume?

Goddamn Wheel of Time by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 04:56:38 AM EST
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm sorry the poor dude died, I don't like to hear that anybody succumbed to a disease.  I feel for his family.

But we are talking about one of the fantasy literary wind-bags of our time here.

I KNEW that long winded, under edited, word happy author wouldn't finish.

According to Slashdot, he wasn't due to publish the last book until 2009 and it is unfinished.  There is talk of another writer finishing it with his notes.

The below comment by vux984 on Slashdot sums up my feelings about Jordan's writing style:

"Tolkien could let characters like Gandalf go off on side quests without covering every detail. We only knew Gandalf was rescued by the eagles - that's about all that's in the book. Jordon would have taken us on that flight. We know he found his way back to Rivendell; Jordon would have taken us on that walk. At one point Sam is cooking some rabbits he caught - Jordon would have made damned sure we knew exactly how and where they were caught. And gollum? Jordon would have been sure to cover everything he did too... from leaving the mountains, to being captured and tortured, to his release, and tracked him all the way back to Moria. When the sword that was broken was remade, we didn't have half a book dedicated to the tale, nor the tale of its delivery."

I'm sorry to hear he passed, but I don't think this was the passing of a great.

Gedvondur

"It is virtually impossible to effectively aim a jellyfish, a creature created by God almost solely for the purpose of not flying."- CRwM

All this talk of passing and wind by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Sep 17, 2007 at 08:56:08 AM EST
There's a great pun in there somewhere.

I agree with you though. The world was good, but the story and writing were terrible.

The "Dragon" is dead | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback