I received a Beta code from Gamespot.com for the Xbox 360 Call of Duty 4 Beta.
I know what you’re thinking. Another WWII FPS? If it was a WWII shooter I wouldn’t have touched this with a 10 foot pole. Instead it is a modern FPS and it is tons of fun.
Here is a short list of features and observations:
- It is a bit more tactical than many of the twitch shooters. Of course it is on a console and they tend to be a bit slower paced so that makes sense. That is not to say it is slow, it’s just not Quake 3 mass chaos at light speed. Plenty of shooting dying and spawning none the less.
- There are several different classes to choose from. Not as dramatic a difference between them as you find in PC FPSs. None is different enough to provide a massive advantage over another. It isn’t rock paper scissors, but they are different enough to make switching classes fun. Personally I like the class that runs around with the SAW.
- On your radar you see your teammates. If your opponent fires his weapon he shows up on the radar for a while also. Spray and prey is a bad way to do business in this game ;) It might sound like a silly feature but it really keeps the game moving on nice big (for console) maps.
- Provided your weapon is capable, you can shoot thru walls with obviously a hit to accuracy. It is a fun feature to light up the side of a barn when you know the enemy is massed there. It can be an effective strategy to use distract then when your buddies are attacking from another angle. Of course if you’re on the receiving side you’ll be startled a bit if someone does it to you ;)
- You’ve got your usual grenades and some smoke and stun grenades. The stun grenades are fairly useful and fun to use inside buildings. If you know someone is there and unaware of you and you have a second to toss one it is a great tactic.
- One of the coolest features is that you can create your own classes, and even better add “perks” and “upgrades”.
- You earn experience from playing the game, getting kills and etc. Even if you suck you’ll earn some experience and it will just be slower than the other folks. As you rank up your options in create a class open up. Also there are challenges such as “kill 25 people with weapon X” that can open up different “perks” and “upgrades” and new weapons.
- The upgrades are for weapons. So if you go and create a class and have done the necessary prerequisite(s) you can then add some features to your weapon. Such as the red dot sight on the SAW (my fav so far) or a grenade launcher on your M16. Some of these “upgrades” are quite powerful and will take away one of your “perks” slots in that custom class you make.
- The perks are almost RPG like elements. You have three perks slots most of the time. Depending on what perks you have available you can add more health, add the damage your bullets do, the ability to spring longer, etc.
- By default you can make I think 3 (maybe it was 4) custom classes. The custom classes can really make things fun. They do provide a distinct advantage over folks who do not use them but as I said even if you’re getting spanked by your opponents you’ll earn experience that will eventually get you those upgrades and perks and etc. Noobs deserve a bit pain anyway ;) You don't have to be a military freak to make a good custom class either. It is all plain English regarding what benefits you'll get.
That’s not to say I’m very good at this game. I finish middle of the pack when I’m at my best. Even so the Beta is insane amounts of fun. A lot of folks talk about how it is a bit like Counter Strike but improved. I think CS is a huge pile of #### so I can’t say that. There are some tactical elements that I suppose people are thinking of when they think of CS. Unlike CS it’s just not the same damn fight at the same place every time. The maps are quite dynamic and battles pop up all over the place.
Provided there are no exploits, or at least if they’re quickly patched I’ll be playing a lot of this game. Probably on 360 of all places….
|< This time tomorrow, reckon where I'll be | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >|