Print Story A weekend of divergence
Fishies
By georgeha (Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 08:15:35 AM EST) ale, birthday parties, pajama parties (all tags)
Penn State won, Buffalo lost
one girl had a sleepover Friday, the other Saturday.

Plus, three books: Severed, The Glider Gang, Feet of Clay, Buffy musings, politics of gifts, using a rainy day to my advantage and less.

Poll: Favorite Finger Lake?

That was a surprisingly busy weekend, in which I was even able to watch and listen to a little football. Sadly, it wasn't the Penn State game (since Hannah Montana was on instead and six year old wanted to watch it). It was the Bills, losing on the last second.

The girls each had a sleepover, six year old Friday with the AFs, and eleven year old Saturday night at the westsides. Complicating things, six year old had a birthday party Saturday morning, down on a Finger Lake. The AF's informed us that the two six year old's got up at 4 in the morning to play and talk, so we offered to take theirs so they could sleep.

We didn't have enough notice to take six year old present shopping, as she wasn't sure she wanted to go, so I got something for her to give. It was a little hard, as I barely know the parents, so I don't know how they feel about guns, or movies or games or any of that. I went with the failsafe, some Lego, an exciting rescue set with three minifigs. You can really overthink buying presents.

The lakefront cabin was amazing, I'm pretty sure it's a doctor's family, with lots of rooms and decks down the slope, almost Rivendellesque. At the lakeshore, there were lots of fossils, mostly bivalve thingies, but a trilobite part and a segmented worm thing. The geology is mostly sedimentary rock, slate I think (though maybe shale, I can't tell the difference). It's been in the family a long time, sadly, downstaters and out of staters are pricing the Finger Lakes out of the range of your average working class slob in upstate New Yorker. At one time they were nearly affordable.

Eleven year old pestered me to take her for a kayak ride, but chickened out when she saw spiders in it. One of the first grader boys wanted to instead, so we paddled out a ways and back (he did most of the work, too). She did get a ride on the Boston Whaler, but we saw no whales.

No surprise, on the way home the six year olds fell asleep.

No movies this weekend, but a fair amount of reading. I've mentioned the local library's geeky bias before (I think they have all Buffy on DVD, as well as a fair amount of anime. Is six too  young for Buffy?) I wandered through the books and found a whole shelf of Diskworld in the fantasy and science fiction section. This weekend was
Feet of Clay, which was good, about the usual for a Diskworld story, enjoyable if not very deep.

I also finished Severed, a book on the Black Dahlia murder, with attendent gruesome photos. Poor kid.

In history, I read The Glider Gang, written by a glider pilot who landed in the south of France, the Netherlands and across the Rhine. It's an okay read, not as good as First Men In, with less drama. They still didn't get paid enough.

It was a rainy weekend, I got soaked kayaking Saturday, and Sunday was near constant rain. We made the most of it, I did some major cleanup of the attic, finding lots of clothing and shoes we can sell at this weekend's garage sale (even if the shoes sell for a quarter a pair, there are a lot of them). We also have bikes for sale, and I'm going to sell a lot of my bottling equipment, I hate bottling and love kegging (oh yeah, kegged my ale, I have to clean out the tap and fridge and start drinking!).

Tonight I get to listen to classic rock for three hours and bring home some cash. I reckon scratch off lottery tickets are in my near future.

< Bumpin' tha Bike | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A weekend of divergence | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Skinny Atlas by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 09:43:17 AM EST
When I was in high school my friend Joel's family knew some people with a house on Skeanateles. We had a grand ol' time up there one weekend.  I tried to water ski but just ended up getting my arms hurt.

Whereaouts did you grow up by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 10:27:28 AM EST
in New York, I've been meaning to ask.

Endicott (Broome Co.), mostly by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 12:34:34 PM EST
I spent some time in Somers (Westchester Co.) too.  I'm an IBM kid.

Is six too young for Buffy? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 10:55:53 AM EST
Absolutely. I'd say that 12 is a minimum age, unless unusually precocious. Consider the episodes Surprise/Innocence in Season Two.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Poll Response: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 11:15:19 AM EST
Seneca. Watkins Glen. 'Nuf said.

I don't know you were the waterfall/gorge by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 11:21:44 AM EST
sort.

I'm not. I'm a plains boy. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 11:39:22 AM EST
Interestingly, the couple times I've driven through the finger lakes region, especially in the evening, I've always been unreasonably paranoid. I don't like having all those hills hemming me in.

Don't worry by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 12:11:51 PM EST
the Ancient Ones rarely prey upon midwestern travelers these days.

WIPO: Onandaga by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 01:46:16 PM EST
I like the fluorescent green color.

onondaga is not considered a Finger Lake by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 06:20:37 AM EST
sez wiki!

Buffy and 6 year olds by TPD (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Sep 12, 2007 at 01:38:45 AM EST
I don't think I'd let SWWNO watch it or at least I'd certainly not her let watch some of the episodes.

She's currently mad for Doctor who though (and I didn't really think she'd be ready for that).

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Cayuga by lolwhat (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 14, 2007 at 01:13:57 AM EST
Great place to get a DUI from hitting all the wineries for tastings. Or so I hear.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.
A weekend of divergence | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback