Print Story Three speeds for a dollar
Cycling
By georgeha (Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 07:45:59 AM EST) fountain pens, oil leaks, Schwinn (all tags)
and other tales of new (to the rider) bikes.

Plus, shades of Zen (improv motorbike repair), a poor thrift and a good flea, bachelor night in, and less in this hastily composed diary.

Poll: Favorite camping shelter?

I took Friday off, did you notice? I wasn't online much, because we went to Buffalo to see Mrs. Ha's mom in the dementia unit. It was a quick trip, with an okay Italian dinner at Gullo's. Mrs. Ha had good manicotti (the server said it was prepackaged), I had mediocre pesto (I think they used a teaspoon's worth on my plate, I'm used to tablespoon's worth), on average, okay.

Saturday we went south to ski country, as my parents were camping with the girls in a hilltop park just outside of Naples (eleven year old now wants a popup, too bad we don't have the money, or a trailer hitch). We hit a few garage sales on the way down, and I found a Schwinn women's three speed for one dollar! The tires were rotted, the chain was rusty, but the frame was solid, in pretty blue, with a few rust spots.

Eleven year old is picky about her bike, she wants something faster than a fixed gear bike, with a coaster brake. A three speed is the only thing I can think that fits the bill.

A few years ago we found a Huffy (made in England) women's three speed in the garbage. It was a bit rusty, but the mechanicals were good, and the tires new. It almost worked for eleven year old, but the wheels rubbed a little.

Sunday, after the flea market (more on that later) and the attic (more on that later), I started working on bikes. I swapped tires  and tubes with the two three speeds (the Schwinn rims are less rusty, and I hold a forlorn hope a collector will want our classic Huffy with original rims for $$$), moved the shifter, oiled the chain, arranged the seat and straightened the handlebars, to make the Schwinn rideable.

After that I moved onto the Kawasaki, I'm now convinced my big washer won't work, it makes the whole starter clutch too tight (nevermind that it's an OEM part, I think the parts diagram is wrong). My next step, tonight, is to take off that washer (it sits between the starter clutch and starter sprocket) and hand cut some big gaskets to go over the crankshaft and act as an oil seal. I have actual gakser material, so I don't have to cut up old innertubes.

We were quite productive Sunday, before I tackled the bikes (which was fun), I cleaned up a corner of the attic (lots of splinters and shingles from our reroof years ago) and brought down bins and bags of handmedowns and outgrown clothing for Mrs Ha to reuse, throw out or donate. This morning I bought shelves (the plastic kind was on sale, and I don't enjoy assembling the metal erector/Mechano sort) and screening to safely ventilate the attic.

I had a good morning at the flea market, even getting a functional Parker fountain pen for $2. I'm not sure of the model, it's a cheaper one with an Aerometric fil cartridge, in dove grey with a silver cap and arrow, and one band. But it writes, and only needed a little warm water to loosen things up.

Compare this to the Salvo in Buffalo, where we got a skirt for eleven year old and nothing else. I'm not used to seeing jeans cost $5 at a Salvo.

Anyhow, the girls got home late yesterday afternoon and eleven year old liked her new (to her) bike. She wouldn't be put off with a ride in the future, so I got out the hitchhiker and the girls and I rode around for while, through the remnants of the Park Ave fest, past various friends houses who weren't home or out, until we got to AF family, where they had just gotten back from picking a Trek bike for AF_mom off CL, it looked nearly new. New bikes for everyone!

It looks like a bachelor night for me, as Mrs. Ha and the girls are heading back to Buffalo to see her sisters. No gaming with others tonight, I have coffee to roast (the Brazilian screen dried Morinha Formosa to a full city was awesome), a bike to fix, electricity to play with and then, maybe some solitaire gaming.

< Diagnosing Impetigo "Not Rocket Science" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Three speeds for a dollar | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
we bought by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 07:59:17 AM EST
this for a backpacking tent (got it on a nice sale).  it rules - really roomy, cheap, quite airy, very lightweight (esp considering the size).

campers are for wimps!

I have to pick my battles by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:12:41 AM EST
I don't think I could convince Mrs. Ha and six year old to go backpacking, unless I promised to do everything, including carrying six year old.

Even a pop-up is year away, unless our financial situation greatly improves.

tent != backpacking by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:36:38 AM EST
you can car camp with a tent (this is what most people do)

We do have a big dome tent by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:54:41 AM EST
which can probably sleep 4 and a dog.

But, I think a pop-up will be less work, setup wise, and I would do most of the work were we to go camping, so we won't for a while.

In addition, six year old is terrified of bears by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:19:28 AM EST
she was nearly in tears when we did a very short (half a mile) hike around the campground, because there was a possibility a small black bears being around.  Not a good candidate for backpacking.

sounds more like by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:39:26 AM EST
not a good candidate for being outside.

from what i've read, you're far more prone to issues with bears while using a camper, car-camping, etc - all those places are stationary known food sources.

She does get the DT's if she's without a TV by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 08:55:58 AM EST
or DVD player for more than a day. NY bears are the pesky black bears, much more a nuisance than a danger, I don't recall one hurting any body in recent memory.

your pen by barooo (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 09:00:10 AM EST
can you post a pic?  I have a couple of parker 51s, one of which needs work (vac fill, doesn't hold ink).  The aero 51 that actually works is easily my favoritest pen ever.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
After hunting some more by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 09:08:29 AM EST
I'm pretty sure it's a Parker 45, the body is all grey, with a silver ring, arrow and endpiece. The aerometric filler is pretty slick, and still works, decades later.

There were a few other pens at the flea market, for $5, and they were lever actions, so I was a little leery. I may go back and get one.

aeros by barooo (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 07, 2007 at 06:18:24 AM EST
are bulletproof.  My aero 51 is from the late 40's or early 50's, all original, and works flawlessly.

I think the 45 has the same filler system as mine, but doesn't have the hooded nib / ridiculously overspeced collector that makes 51's so smooth and reliable.

My next purchase will be a schaeffer snorkel, but probably not for a long time.  I might see if I can find someone willing to straight-up trade me one for my cartridge-filled small mont blanc, which is beautiful, but too fragile and ostentatious for daily use.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt