Print Story Simon's been busy.
Furries
By ana (Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 04:32:59 PM EST) critters (all tags)
So our elder cat Simon has been ill.

As toxicfur wrote there, he's been in the hospital since Monday. They installed a feeding tube Wednesday; goes from his neck in to his esophagus.

The idea is to feed him gently, give him drugs to control his vomiting, and gradually restart his digestion, which should relieve the load on his liver.

Simon, however, had other ideas. Wednesday night he managed to rip off the little t-shirt they put on him to protect the feeding tube. So they gave him a turtle neck without the shirt.

Last night they put him to bed with a lampshade-style collar around his head so he couldn't chew on things. Somehow he managed to get that off, using his hind paws, one presumes. Then he removed the feeding tube, and was working on the IV in his front paw.

So this morning they re-installed the feeding tube. He's gotten interested in food again, which is a very good sign. We hope he leaves this tube in. If all goes well, perhaps we'll bring him home tomorrow morning.

We're also told he needs more than a typical cat's dose of anesthetic, because he fights so hard to stay awake (presumably so he can defend himself). He's quite the fighter, and takes nonsense (or what he perceives as nonsense) from nobody. One might wish he'd relax and let the doctors help him.

Silas, the younger cat, has been wandering aimlessly around the house and the neighborhood, singing opera. Presumably calling to Simon, who (he thinks) went out and got lost and can't get home. Tomorrow, buddy, real soon now.

< Call of Juarez is a good game. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Simon's been busy. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
#HUGS# by greyrat (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 04:35:59 PM EST
All 'round.

I told this saga to my friend J tonight by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 04:52:51 PM EST
She's known me since graduate school, so since Simon was 3 or 4 years old. Simon always hated her, for no good reason, but one night she stayed at my house after drinking too much or something. She woke up on my couch with Simon on her chest, staring at her. She tried to very carefully call for help.... Simon gave a disdainful grunt and jumped down - he was just letting her know who was boss.

She was entirely unsurprised that it takes extra anesthesia for him, and also unsurprised that he rejected all help from the vet and vet techs. I'm kind of proud of him for just being himself and for being so friggin' tough, and yet I miss him, and I want him to live life on someone else's terms just for a while, just until his liver starts working again. But then I think of 8-day-old Simon, no bigger than my hand, hissing at me, and I wonder if he's capable.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco

ooh by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 10:44:12 PM EST
He sounds exactly like my cat. When she broke her leg, she pulled off five different casts, including one that wrapped around her middle. She managed this without having to take the cone off her head. My favourite (there should be a better word) was the time she lifted her leg, jammed it between the slats of a kitchen chair and pulled to remove the cast. I thought tool use was supposed to be confined to primates?

Each time it was a trip back to the vet where he would try to give a local, fail to sedate her and have to give her a general. By the last visit (pins through her leg), the vet was only charging for materials and would give us a lift home.

Simon sounds like one hell of a bad-ass (nt) by fluffy (4.00 / 1) #4 Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 09:30:36 AM EST

ceci n'est pas une signature
i like plaid
Yes. He takes after his mom. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 10:43:45 AM EST

-----