Print Story Be Nice To Me,
By LilFlightTest (Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 02:09:34 PM EST) (all tags)
I gave blood today. All over myself.

Sitting in the donating chair, waiting for them to stick me, i had my head turned away because i don't mind being stuck, i just can't watch. i feel the poke, then i hear "ohhhhh" from the girl operating the needle. "i'm sorry" she says. i wonder if she's missed my vein, but that's not it. The needle is in fine...I squirted. Happy bright red blood all over my bright white shirt.

they brought me some stuff to put on it to try to get it out, but i was sitting there with a needle in my arm, so i couldn't do a whole lot. thank god i was wearing another shirt underneath, so i could take off the bloody one, but i couldn't go back to my office wearing only a tank top. i decided to call nick.

however, there was a catch. i don't know if it was because i was already flustered about the shirt or what, because as she was filling the vials, i got dizzy. really dizzy. so i said "um...dizzy" and before i could even think they had me flipped backwards, they'd grabbed my ankles and uncrossed my legs, and had that needle out of my arm. i think she got all the vials she needed, so they can still use my blood...at least i hope she did, because i'd be pissed if i went through all that for nothing.

my needle operator had called "cold towel" when i said "dizzy" so shortly after the flipping i had a cool damp paper towel on my forehead and a cup of Coke in my hand. Then they brought me a selection of munchies, insisted i take them all, and basically fussed over me until i felt better. it didn't take long, it passed pretty quick, and despite feeling like i was going to hurl, i didn't. So they let me go, and i removed the bloody shirt to start the cleaning process so the stains didn't set too much.

i was waiting for nick when suddenly i got nauseous again. i pretty much booked it into the bathroom, which was pretty good because my vision was fading. i locked myself in the handicap stall and waited, but apparently the crouching down in front of the toilet helped, because i started to feel better. i opened the juice i'd grabbed on my way out, and sipped that, but every time i tried to get off the floor the nausea came back. eventually i was able to make it outside to nick, who took me to lunch. even after eating and drinking more, i didn't feel entirely well, but i was well enough to go back to work. nick came and picked me up, because i still feel like crap, though i suspect i also have a migraine now, so that's probably more the reason.

so that was my craptastic day. i need to go remove my bandage and clean off the last of the blood and iodine. not sure why i had such a problem, never have before when i donated, but now i'm sorta put off doing it again. i dont like feeling this shitty, and it makes me feel like a big wuss.

< A glimmer of insight | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Be Nice To Me, | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Responses? I'll give you responses! by Ranieri (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 02:55:44 PM EST
The human body doesn't always react the same way to the same stimuli. I'm sure you'll be back to your donating old self next time.

i guess by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:23:44 PM EST
it could have been due to a lot of things. this was really only my third time donating whole blood, but i've done plasma and had all sorts of massive amounts of blood drawn for tests. i've never had a problem being bled before, but who knows what was different this time.
---------
Who knows by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:36:30 PM EST
maybe it was a hot day.

In other news, as you probably know, this stuff works great to remove blood or any other organic mess.

it came out by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:41:35 PM EST
i hit it with a tide pen while i was waiting, and then we put it in cold water with a bunch of OxyClean. it soaked all afternoon and was spot free by the time it went into the regular wash cycle.
---------
My my, aren't we the little home maker! by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 11:08:37 AM EST
#;^)

hey by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 01:56:55 PM EST
when you're as clumsy as i am and as prone to dropping food as nick is, you carry cleaning tools.
---------
I keep my bottle by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 08:45:53 PM EST

right next to my quicklime and my shovel.

I have been fine almost always by debacle (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 04:15:21 AM EST
I've given to the Red Cross at least twelve times. However, when I was getting my blood drawn for a physical about 6 months ago I felt like I was going to pass out, and afterwards my arms and legs were shaky for the rest of the day.

I had a nurse by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 04:48:16 AM EST
spray blood all over herself and the neighboring couch one time. Then she panicked and went through the vein. So I didn't get bloody, and didn't get to donated that time, but I did get to have a golf ball sized bolus on that elbow for a couple of days. I was shaky and nauseous after that one, but I think it was mostly being subconsciously grossed out. I was fine the next time. I'm sure you will be too.

And although I love to watch the extraction process, I NEVER watch the initial needle stick.

yeah, by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Aug 30, 2007 at 01:56:08 PM EST
i think watching the bag fill is pretty cool, i just can't watch the initial stick or see the needle in my arm. if they put some gauze over it i'm all good.

i'm wondering if i did get subconsciously grossed out by being covered in my own blood...
---------