Print Story Simon
Health
By toxicfur (Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:02:50 AM EST) (all tags)
Simon is my 11 1/2 year old cat. iGrrrl has described him as a meatloaf, since he's been kind of on the round side his whole life.

Last weekend, I noticed that he's lost weight. He vomited after eating, and refused to eat his regular food.

Our vet, who is wonderful, diagnosed him as having liver failure. His ears were turning yellow, and his gums were also jaundiced. They gave him iv fluids and kept him overnight. Today, he got an ultrasound, and the diagnosis of feline hepatic lipidosis.

Dr. Low explained that this is probably the best outcome because it is treatable. It's caused when a cat, especially a large cat, goes off his food, and the body starts processing the fat, which affects liver function, which in turn makes the cat vomit and not want to eat, which makes the liver worse. Usually, Dr. Low says, people are able to pinpoint why the cat stopped eating (stress, generally, or change in diet). He hasn't had any recent stress that I know of, and his diet changed months ago, but he's seemed happy with it.

The treatment is kind of horrible - he'll have to get a feeding tube and get force-fed through the tube for as long as a month. Getting all of the calories he needs is the only treatment, and even with the feeding tube, there's still a 30% mortality rate.

I'm both relieved, and scared, and sad. At least we know why he's sick, and at least it's treatable and he has a good chance of survival. I wish I'd noticed he'd been off his food for a while, though - Dr. Low says this doesn't happen overnight. And I didn't notice anything wrong. This is the cat who's been with me since he was four weeks old - the cat who hissed at me when he was 8 days old - but I didn't notice that he wasn't eating until Saturday. I miss him. I hope he gets to come home soon.

< Email spam | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Simon | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The Minister are joyous .. by me0w (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:06:50 AM EST
That Minister Simon's condition is treatable! He will get better for our Feline Overlords demand it.

poor kitty! by R343L (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:09:16 AM EST
I wonder what put him off his food? Cats are usually such pigs about food (or at least really exclusive "this is mine" about it!).

Here's to hoping he gets better.

ana and I... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:25:25 AM EST
have just been discussing what might have put him off his food, and we cannot figure out what it might be. There haven't been any major changes in the household in a year, and his diet changed in the spring, but that shouldn't be affecting him now. I can't figure out what might be the problem, and he's reacted to stressful situations in the past by going to take a nap in the sun. Or by hissing and growling.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Does he go outside ? by Phage (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 03:04:29 AM EST
Some chance encounter with strangers / traffic / dogs ?

He does. by ana (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:26:08 AM EST
He likes to sun himself on the back porch of a morning. And there's a mean dog that lives 2 doors down and sometimes wanders around off-leash, so perhaps. He didn't seem reluctant to go out again, though, so we're still puzzled.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

That could be it. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 29, 2007 at 04:44:50 AM EST
He goes outside some, and suns himself in the driveway. It is possible that he had some sort of trauma outside that I don't know about.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
sorry to hear it by cam (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:34:09 AM EST
our oldest is drinking more and more water which are the precursors to liver failure.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I'm sorry. :-( by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:37:46 AM EST
It's so hard, watching the critters get older.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
If your cat by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 07:40:32 AM EST
Is puking up outside, how are you going to know?

Also, picture needs some sort of icanhascheezburger caption I think.

Best of luck with recovery anyway.

Caption by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 08:30:06 AM EST
Staring cat...

iz staring at u!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I think... by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 09:06:19 AM EST
it's more like "Yeah? What. Ever." To quote one of your lyrics.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Emo cat is emo by fluffy (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 08:35:12 AM EST
I used to have a cat named Simon. He was my favorite cat ever. He was extremely dumb and also always managed to fall down off of whatever he was sitting on, even if it was the floor. He was a sweet kitty. One day he disappeared and we never saw him again. :(
ceci n'est pas une signature
i like plaid
Simon Cat Says by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 09:04:30 AM EST
Serve Me!

#HUG# by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 09:17:25 AM EST
For you and meatloafkitty. And ana too if he wants.

*hugs Simon* by duxup (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 11:59:47 AM EST
n/t
____
don't feel too bad by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 01:32:13 PM EST
cats are very sneaky. unless you actually stand there and watch them eat, you might not notice. sometimes cats can be pretty sick before you even notice, because they hide it so well. sick = vulnerable, and cats aren't about to show that.
---------
Thank you. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Aug 28, 2007 at 05:02:02 PM EST
Your saying that does make me feel better. I still feel like I should've known something was wrong, but you're right. He didn't want me to know. Thanks.
-----