Print Story Photo Thursday: Gull
Photos
By stark (Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 07:13:39 AM EST) photos, photo of the day, gull, bird (all tags)
Okay, so I think I was pretty lucky with this one. Taken off the northern-most point of Lewis, where the gulls hover in strong updrafts from the wind rushing up the steep cliffs.

Gull
< Life and Death | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Photo Thursday: Gull | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nice! by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 07:27:36 AM EST
Once subject I've NEVER managed to take an even halfway decent picture of is a bird in flight. What lens did you use for that shot?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
As I said, rather lucky by stark (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 08:11:16 AM EST
This is certainly the first semi-decent in-focus shot of a bird in flight that I've managed. Was quite shocked when I saw that it was sharp on the computer screen as well as on the little screen on my 300d!

The lens was my Canon 70-200mm EF IS L. Really good and probably the reason that it's in focus...
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

Excellent focus (and tracking I'd presume)! by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 07:55:46 AM EST
It looks almost unreal.

On a larger copy by stark (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 08:11:58 AM EST
You can see the droplet of water on the end of it's beak...
I saw it on this one too. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 09:23:35 AM EST
U R teh e/1l r0x0r d00d!1!

Woah! [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 11:46:27 PM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Also: Did you crop it to this composition, by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 03:01:48 AM EST
or did the gods truly smile on you and make the full frame fit the rule of thirds?

Heh by stark (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 03:09:00 AM EST
No, it's a crop. I believe the original might have the bird in the middle of the shot :-)
Call me pedantic, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 08:01:36 AM EST
But I'm pretty sure that's a fulmar.

This is a gull:

A pretty fluky photo, of course, and could do without the French people in it, but my favourite photo (of my own) evarr. On a Canon AE-1 Program with a 50mm lens. Don't think the film was anything special. Gold 400?

The estate in the map by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 08:56:56 AM EST
is that a public park, or some rich lad's summer home ? I like big remote places like that ..

The building by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 09:16:35 AM EST
is a lighthouse.

Scotland itself is well supplied with the houses of the stinking rich, though.

Fortunately for the general public, though, the only bits the stinking rich are allowed to stop them going on are crops or gardens. If it's a wood or moorland, then you can use it. By bike even.

Better mapping is at Streetmap, or British Waterways or Magic. But Google's got the best satellite views.

most awesome picture by R343L (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 06:13:35 PM EST
Do we have a PFC oustanding?

PFC by glamorgan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 08:13:48 PM EST
This picture could have won the last PFC.  We are all waiting for Fleece to start the next contest.

Absolutely by stark (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 03:10:37 AM EST
I might PM fleece and see if he's interested in kicking one off. I recommend a theme of "photos taken on remote Scottish islands"...
Great shot by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Aug 23, 2007 at 11:45:09 PM EST
I know how hard it is to get photos of a bird in flight. I saw a barn owl in a field earlier this summer and spent ages running backwards and forwards trying to get a shot. They all came out shit.

Did you use tracking on your autofocus? I haven't been able to work it out yet.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I think so by stark (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Aug 24, 2007 at 03:08:18 AM EST
I might have stuck it on the sport mode to get this one, which I think enables the auto-tracking AF.

This bird was helpful enough to be hovering for a few seconds, enough to get it mid-flight without having huge panning issues.

i love by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Aug 25, 2007 at 06:16:53 AM EST
when you're lucky enough to get the subject still in the shot by the time you get to take the picture. earlier this week i tried to take a pic of the dog while she was laying in the lawn looking cute, but as i pressed the button she decided to get up and play, and all that was still in frame was her rear.
---------