Print Story Hooray, hooray, it's a holi, holiday
By Herring (Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:04:37 AM EST) (all tags)
With lots of .... something

Update [2007-8-22 10:44:1 by Herring]: Well, sort of an update.

So, H needs a break. The recent stuff at work has been big stress and mad things. So I need a break.

We are mindful of money, so when the in-laws offered to pay for cottage, in Devon (which they will be sharing with us for unspecified number of days) I said OK. Not quite the holiday I wanted, but OK.

Today's thing was well wierd though. Mrs. H. took me aside and explained the situation. SD wants to bring a friend. Yeah, technically we can fit friend in car. Also I understand - she's 14, SB is 7, we and in-laws are old. A friend for SD would definitely improve the holiday for her. I ask some questions:
Is friend Male or Female?: Male. And 17 years old against SD's 14. Well ... whatever.
Where does friend live? Bournemouth. WTF? Have you (Mrs. H.) met friend IRL? No. Has SD met friend IRL? No. But they chat on the internet a lot.

I am confused by the whole thing. Mrs. H. seems cool with it all so fair enough, but I don't know what to think.

Actually, I do know what to think: providing it doesn't rob me of sleep or cost me money, I don't give a damn what goes on.

I should've written this when I was less tired and beered. Maybe edit tomorrow.

Update [2007-8-22 10:44:1 by Herring]: So, I explained my position to Mrs. H. and she has explained to SD, that Internet Boy is not coming. SD is, apparently, extremely upset. OK, I have some sympathy that Mrs. H. was only trying to make SD happy, but she's had 5 more weeks of holiday than I have had to do that. I really do quite resent her trying to make me feel guilty about this - not quite so much as I resent this happening in the first place. I am getting pretty sick of the household attitude of "Oh, H wont mind so long as he's got beer and enough computer hardware". Well, I fucking do mind.

< Tell me a story. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hooray, hooray, it's a holi, holiday | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Just make sure... by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:09:38 AM EST
he really is 17, and not, say, anonimouse (though it seems he's been busy recently, so...). I hope the holiday goes well, and that SD and her friend actually get along IRL - that could make for some tension if they don't....
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Since by Herring (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:13:30 AM EST
we (I) have to pick said person up, with considerable detour, I will have chance to evaluate.

I am still not sure that I didn't hallicinate the whole conversation with Mrs. H.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

yeah by Merekat (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 09:35:00 PM EST
You gotta be careful of these complete strangers you meet of the intarwebs.

Damn by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:17:32 AM EST
Cunning plan spoiled.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Look on the bright side by ks1178 (4.00 / 4) #3 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:24:11 AM EST
At least SD is smart enough, or by chance, to meet this person in real life with you and your wife there, rather than going to meet him on her own, possibly without your knowledge at all.

Indeed by anonimouse (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:52:11 AM EST
But I think an invite to your house for perhaps a weekend rather than going away on holiday is a better venue for a first meeting. I think SD (and parents) has to have establish firmly that he is a long time friend face to face to qualify for going on holiday.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
And.... by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:53:04 AM EST
...you have easier access to the shotgun at your house.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
This'll be a memorable holiday. by Horatio Hellpop (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:35:11 AM EST
You'll be able to remember when your step-grandchild was conceived!

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

indeed. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 07:48:55 AM EST

Too bad by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #5 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 12:15:33 PM EST
It's a pity all the doors had to be removed for remodeling just before you got there. Hopefully it won't be too much of a damper when you show him your shotgun colleciton.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That is a bit odd by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 11:47:30 PM EST
Glad you're reserving judgement though.

For her sake I hope he's not really boring in real life.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Difficult by Phage (4.00 / 4) #9 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:20:10 AM EST
If it was my daughter ? NFW would she be bringing some new 'friend' on a holiday without being vetted first.
As an SD ? That would depend on the internal dynamics you have at home. I would be mildy pissed at having to feed and entertain some stranger that neither she nor I has even met.
Also the differences between 14 and 17 are much larger than the three years might suggest.

It is all a bit weird by Herring (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:23:20 AM EST
and sudden. Mrs. H. has been in communication with this boy's mother. Clearly this has been plotted for some time, but I was only told last night.

I'm not particularly happy about the whole situation. Sullen teenagers and elderly in-laws ... I'm quite tempted to refuse to go.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

It's not a great situation by Phage (4.00 / 3) #12 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:28:10 AM EST
Plotting to bring a stranger witout telling you, but you have to pay for ? Screw that noise.
I would be apopolectic.

Also - A week at home ? Just lying in, reading books and farting about...The random 17 yr-old can have your space !

s/tempted/determined by Herring (4.00 / 3) #14 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:33:48 AM EST
now that I think about it.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Go for it by Phage (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:37:44 AM EST
You know what you want to do for a holiday.

Well by Herring (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:20:07 AM EST
I only get 22 days holiday a year (additional reason to change jobs). To spend a quarter of that deliberately putting myself into a reality-TV style situation is not my idea of a good time.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Definitely not mine either by Phage (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:27:51 AM EST
I'm with the mouse on this. They should have consulted you, and introduced this person in a less stressful environment first.

I only pay for stuff by Herring (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 01:47:23 AM EST
deciding is not my business.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Isn't that the truth by Phage (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 02:41:40 AM EST
But you make decisions about what you do, if not about what others do.

Not the answer you may expect by anonimouse (4.00 / 3) #11 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:23:54 AM EST
I would say no. Opportunities for holiday to f**k up as result of first Real Life encounter with said friend are extensive.

I would have said that you have no objection to said people meeting up, especially as I don't think you have PR for SD, just not for the first time on holiday with you.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
The mouse is spot on by Phage (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 12:29:43 AM EST

Update by Phage (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 07:15:50 AM EST
Yay for you. I think you did the right thing. I'm glad to see that Mrs H backed you up on this.

FFS she's 14. She's old enough to plan ahead and get permission before asking a bloody great favour like that.
Also - it occurs to me that as we are in loco parentis, isn't our job to exert enough discipline to cause a tantrum every now and again ?
I salute you and will buy you a beer. When do you have an evening free for a pint ?

I'm not sure that "backed me up" by Herring (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Aug 22, 2007 at 08:51:06 AM EST
is the right term. It was Mrs. H.'s idea in the first place.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Stick & Carrot by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 06:26:26 AM EST
Did you discuss idea of having Internet Boy come round to visit? Tantrums would be less if you said "not this time but ..."

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
It's all over now by Herring (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Sep 05, 2007 at 08:04:22 AM EST
I did go not sure how I was drawn (sucked?) into it.

I would diarise about the whole thing but it's depressing. Apart from the Small Boy and the Sea - which is always cheering.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky