Print Story on keeping up
By clock (Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:17:02 AM EST) (all tags)
a quick run down of what's up.

so the dude?  he's not here yet.  he's all chillin' up in his mommy's guts.  rolling around.  kicking.  punching vital organs.  slowly but surely wearing out his welcome.

my wife?  she's huge.  miserable.  can barely get up on her own now.  nightly she sits in a tub like marat and laments the pains in her joints.  it's not pretty.  there's no radiance here, just the determination of a fierce valkyrie to survive an ordeal unlike any she has known.  damn, that almost sounds like a movie, doesn't it?

and me?  i'm just doin' my custodian thing.  i keep things running.  friday night i shopped.  knocked out that grocery stuff.  then we took a field trip and got us some ATHF:TMFTFD from the beast.  it wasn't bad.  saturday, i got some things put together and then we had dinner with the old man any my stepmother.  it was a good time.  we amused the people at whorebucks by saying things that pregnant couples aren't supposed to say (read: THE TRUTH!) and made it home in time to read and sleep before the dog got too pissed off.  sunday i fixed the wife's powerbook (my third SUCCESSFUL tear-down of this particular unit since its purchase in 2003) thus saving us quite a bit of cash.  not bad.  not bad.

but don't worry.  i won't break my arm patting myself on the back just yet.

quick question:  my office building pipes the satellite music stations through the halls and in the restrooms.  who in the fuck thought it would be a good idea to have rod stewart cover the catalog of music created since the dawn of time?  from CCR to stardust to otis redding.  i wouldn't be surprised to hear him pipe out some lieder any minute now.  what i want is to have it stop.  but i need to know who started it.  fuckers.  clearly a focus group hatchet job.

everything else is on hold.  all of it.  wednesday we'll go in and schedule the eviction of the dude.  in my fantasies the doc says "hey, let's just wander over to the hospital and get things rolling right now!"  but i'm not quite that naive.  i know that next week is as long as they'll let him go, but next week is a broad target.  monday or friday?  it's the difference between hope and insanity.  if there had been any relief in this pregnancy i would just say "i'll trust the process," but i know better.  yeah, yeah, yeah...when it's over we'll forget all about it because the dude will be sooooo wonderful.  i'll let you in on a secret:  i've kept DETAILED NOTES on this whole thing.  i will remember!

(mostly i'll remember that we got lucky.  that from a health perspective we did very well and had nothing to complain about.  that bed rest and the pile of crap that came along with it was a mild hassle compared to many possible alternatives.)

< Indulging my inner librarian | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on keeping up | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Remember: Stacky's joints will get better by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:29:27 AM EST
When her 'gotta loosen up to give birth' hormones stop after birth. The fact that she aches is a good (although f00kin miserable sign). My SIL had the same problem, to the point where she couldn't walk to the car when labor started.

RE - Office Muzak: As much as I hate them, tight fitting ear buds and an mp3 player are the easy cure -- no matter how disorienting and antisocial.

there's no better way... by clock (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:33:15 AM EST
...for me to make my phone ring than to strap on the ipod.  sigh.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

the miracles of modern technology by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:38:36 AM EST
Get a converter from the 2.5mm standard headset jack to the 1/8" jack on the iPod and a Y adapter. Then you can pipe your own personal music and answer the phone at the same time.

Cicero, The Republic
Holy crap! You, sir, are my new God. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:48:58 AM EST
Why am I so uncreative...

God became Man so that Man might become God by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:54:36 AM EST
But all the same, I don't think I'm there yet.

Cicero, The Republic
That stopped working for me by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 04:15:48 PM EST

the day they handed out the free iPhones. However, I'm fucking geeked that I don't have to change headphones now.

You say "antisocial" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 08:17:36 AM EST
like it's a bad thing.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
No. Not really. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 08:27:24 AM EST

rod stewart by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:33:16 AM EST
the soon to be Sir Rod Stewart. wotcher back man.

Everything is possible by theboz (4.00 / 2) #4 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:33:39 AM EST
Even this:
wednesday we'll go in and schedule the eviction of the dude. in my fantasies the doc says "hey, let's just wander over to the hospital and get things rolling right now!" but i'm not quite that naive.
It's really up to Stacky I would think. Your son sounds like he's far enough along that he'd be ok to be born now, so basically they are just looking at the condition of the mother's health. The only problem is that if she is "scheduled" immediately, they would more than likely want a c-section. The whole inducing thing, especially if she hasn't dropped, sounds painful, but it might have to be done for a natural childbirth. Either way, the light is at the end of the tunnel (there may potentially be a pun in there but I'm too tired to work it in.) Good luck, and we're looking forward to meeting clock jr.
- - - - -
Also: Don't fear the c-section. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:38:24 AM EST
We had our first by planned c-section, due to the location of the placenta. And even with the modern bikini style operation, our second was a completely natural (including no anesthesia --oops!) in hospital birth.

almost by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 10:09:36 AM EST
since he's doing well, i'm within tolerances, etc they're making sure he's past the lung development issue that boys have.  next week, he's out of the danger zone, so the doc wants to wait until then.

also...."induced labor" != natural childbirth.

Induced vs. Natural by belldandi (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 11:47:18 AM EST
I think it all pends on how they do the inducing... for my 2nd, the doctor just popped a leak (2nd entry). So although I was technically induced, I still classify it as fairly natural.

Getting back on track, do you have a preference natural vs. induced?

Contextually elaborating,
-Bell

i'd rather 100% natural by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 02:33:50 AM EST
but i've come to terms with the fact that isn't going to happen.

From what I hear, by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 03:10:46 AM EST
when the time comes, you'll be asking for 100% doped up.

no way by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 03:50:22 AM EST
i just don't buy that.

It's just second hand information I ingested. by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 05:38:40 AM EST
How would I know? Never had kids, ain't got no womb. I do wish you the best of luck and an easy delivery.

Our first was induced by Phage (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Aug 21, 2007 at 04:10:33 AM EST
But the rest came by themselves.

curry by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #7 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 05:44:51 AM EST
I second breaker's suggestion of this from last time. Even if it has absolutely no effect on the lodger, you have a week of lovely tasty food.

normally by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 10:11:08 AM EST
i'd be all for it.  but these days, even the thought of food totally disgusts me.  makes me wish we had those futuristic food-capsules we were promised by the year 2000.

They're in... by ana (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 12:21:20 PM EST
your flying car. Check the rooftop helipad.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

You know the by blixco (4.00 / 2) #10 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 06:18:41 AM EST
kid doesn't wanna show because y'all live in Houston.

If ya lived in a civilized part of the state, he'd be out dancin' by now.

Hang in there, he's almost home.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

i'm sure... by clock (4.00 / 2) #11 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 06:49:20 AM EST
...that it's less humid in utero than out here in the open air.  and that thought makes me sick.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Muzak by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 20, 2007 at 07:43:58 AM EST
I took care of it in my office with a screwdriver and some wire snips on a fine Saturday afternoon.  Safety eventually bitched when they realized the fire/tornado/paging system wasn't coming into our office either and the speakers were repaired, but the muzak was left off on our floor.

on keeping up | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback