Print Story MFC XII: Politics.
Music
By blixco (Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 05:20:54 AM EST) test (all tags)
Oh. My. God I hate politics.

Update [2007-9-8 20:53:1 by blixco]: Time Extension! In the long standing tradition of *FCs, we're extending the deadline to September 18th.

Update [2007-9-19 4:55:22 by blixco]: Vote here!

But some of the best songs ever written are also some of the most political. Music and politics are like love and marriage.  There's a journal devoted to it. Music and Politics even has it's own wikipedia entry.  Why?

Other than wikipedia's lax standards about what constitutes an interesting topic, my guess is that music is emotional, and politics are emotional, so they are well suited to one another.  One allows for a communication of ideas and emotions, the other is a set of rules and systems intended to preserve man, but both have a long-standing tradition of feeding one another.

Sure, you're thinking Bob Dylan.  Why wouldn't you?  But there's a vast, rich history to the political song dating all the way back to the Greek and Roman empires, probably pre-dating them.  In the more modern industrial era, Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie were huge populist voices in the US, and most of the 1950s and 1960s fed off of their folk vibes.  Rock and Roll was born in blues, steeped in the pain and suffering of Black America, forged in the fires of political oppression.  In England and France, music was tied to political and social protest and worker's rights (and women's suffrage and just about every socio-political movement) and gave rise to punk, electronic, and post-punk movements.  Normally adapted from hymns, protest songs from the UK (and the southern United States) were adapted to meet the message while retaining the melody; many years  later you can hear those simple three-bar structures in every punk song.  Every country has it's political anthems, rallying songs for the common man, union songs, adapted populist tunes that mock, deride, celebrate, or in any way create an emotion.

I'm sure there are bourgeois tunes.  Some sort of "It's good to be rich and white in America in 1955" stuff.  I've not heard any that I am aware of, though I guess popular music (with an emphasis on love and status over politics and meaning) could fill the bill.

Plus I haven't even touched satire!  And campaign tunes!  And the whole world of anthems and marches!  Musicals!  Operas!  The universe of music touches politics; every genre has it's political section.

I have a feeling that we could talk about the fine lines separating art from pap from politics until we ran out of air.  So, why not just make some political tunes?

Here's the idea: create from scratch or re-make a political song.  For cover tunes, this can be outright political (anything by the Dead Kennedys, for instance) or something picked up by a political party.  You chance to cover Fleetwood Mac is NOW.  How about a mashup of "Don't Stop" and "California Uber Alles"?

Original tunes, instrumental, turntable, vocal, or otherwise, should have a political intent.  The theme, the message, just the feel of it...now's your chance for punk or metal or, heck, harp music if you want.  If it contains the way you feel about civil rights, about Bush, about the Tories, about Woomera, about immigration, the county Sheriff, the local Magistrate, the government of Mexico, China, Nepal, Darfur, north Ireland, Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, feudal Japan, Imperial Star Wars...

...you name it, if it's political and you feel it, make your feelings heard.  One man, one vote, one collection of notes.

The deadline is September 18th.

I'll co-ordinate an upload location and update when the time comes.

Let's rock!

< Home | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MFC XII: Politics. | 37 comments (37 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
but by 256 (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 05:44:50 AM EST
SMUT has already recorded one political song and vowed to never do another.

though your timeline does render the idea of a shotgun one-session SMUT reunion plausible....
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Remix? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 08:27:28 AM EST
Get with someone who does samples and such?  Make a new dancehall hit out of it?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
on the other hand by 256 (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 09:13:48 AM EST
i do have some embarassingly bad cynical lyrics i wrote for a friend's punk band some years back and which never actually got recorded. ah, what the hell. it's not really SMUT's cup of tea, so if anyone needs some vacuous political angst here ya go:

----

i'll never be your communista
you're just as bad as was batista
listen up, got somethin' to tell you mister
call it what you want, I'll still resist ya

yeah, your leather jacket anarchism
looks like fascist bourgeouis socialism
it's just another reworked blurry vision
half formed ideas through a dusty prism

just 'cause you say you're democratic
don't think my respect is automatic
playin' revolution in grandma's attic
Radio Free America's still playin' static

yeah your skim milk latte trotskyism
smells of fascist bourgeouis anarchism
it's the same old reworked blurry vision
as i watch your games from this rusty prison

I want no part of your revolution
don't wanna see no sunday executions
I keep seeing all this absolution
but i've yet to to see even one solution

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

So.... by BelatuCadros (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 07:07:58 AM EST
"Too Drunk to Fuck" is a politcal song... I'll have to check the lyrics...

Heck, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 07:18:32 AM EST
it would be easy to make it political.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Your right. by BelatuCadros (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 07:38:17 AM EST
Anything can be political though. It depends on how you look at it.

That's all I need right now $ by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 06:26:57 PM EST

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

I'm seeing by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Aug 26, 2007 at 01:37:22 AM EST
A prohibition bluegrass version, as sung by a homespun accessible evangelical promoting the virtues of abstinence.

I think, beyond the translation of the existing words and music to this version, perhaps interlyrical inserts gently encouraging the good listener to open their heart to the Lord, over a gentle acoustic guitar, might convey the mood.

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

the personal is political? by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 10:02:51 AM EST
(of text there is none)

Fuck Dylan by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 10:24:30 AM EST
Ochs kept it real.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.
Dyland predicts global warming by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Aug 13, 2007 at 11:26:17 PM EST
Come gather round people wherever you roam
And admit that the waters around you have grown
And you all very soon will be drenched to the bone ...

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I wrote by blixco (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 04:38:39 AM EST
a paper in highschool that was, well, it was awful.  But it was a paper about who I thought the 10 greatest Americans were, and in that 10, one was Bob Dylan.

Among other examples, I wrote how he'd used sly wordplay all through "All Along the Watchtower," especially that "Two riders were approaching and the wind began to howl."  Two riders = two writers (Woodward and Bernstein) and the wind howling = the subsequent mass of media and popular attention swarming around Nixon.

Problem was, the song was written (well, copywritten) in 1968.

Watergate was 1972.

My paper got a good grade, but my history teacher didn't let me live that one down.  I recently emailed him congratulating him on a book he'd published, and he mentioned the "Dylan time travel paper" to me.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I think Dylan's by yicky yacky (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 11:53:30 AM EST

kind of like Mother Teresa: Globally revered, an icon and an espouser of soothing, liberating, principled verbiage on the surface, but the closer you look, the more he comes to resemble something else entirely.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Is this the same by bruno (4.00 / 1) #14 Sat Aug 18, 2007 at 07:12:29 AM EST
history teacher I had in high school?  Do you really have his e-mail address?  How about a copy of that paper?  I'd like to read about your other top 9.

No-one by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Aug 18, 2007 at 09:12:30 AM EST
should ever see a copy of that paper.

His email address is google-able.  Or just hit up the highschool website, assuming he's still working there.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Aug 16, 2007 at 10:29:43 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by blixco

it's not what I'll submit obviously, by Phil Urich (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Aug 27, 2007 at 10:33:07 AM EST
but this reminds me that awhile back I listened to an interview with Trent Reznor in which he did talk about politics a bit, and he's such a cynical realist about it all I found myself so enamoured with what he was saying I sparsely remixed it around the interview.  Even merely for the "and then, he gets re-elected, and it's just, . . ."

Poetic deadline, by the way.

I see your URL... by 606 (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 02:47:12 PM EST
U of A, eh? I'm in Calgary! :)

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Calgary, you say!?!?! by Phil Urich (2.00 / 0) #31 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 06:51:39 PM EST
....well, I kindof like the city better and your university has, at very least (I can't say I know about it too well, but I know at least this much) a much saner and less sadistic administration.

. . . I mean, the Flames suck!

Here's my entry by 606 (4.00 / 2) #20 Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 02:57:16 PM EST
Get your glowsticks. Get your Mickey-Mouse gloves and your facemask and Vapo-Rub. Then burn them and get angry and spray that anger around everywhere because it feels like everyone else but you has been brainwashed to believe in the convenient instead of the truth.

Not that shouting about it will change anything. Let's just dance until the pain goes away.

Damned Liars

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Internet Hate Machine. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #21 Sat Sep 01, 2007 at 03:02:06 PM EST
If you do not win, there is no justice.  errr.....uh....

DAMN FINE JOB.  I don't wish to discourage others.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Why, thank you by 606 (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 12:08:46 AM EST
I definitely put quite a bit of heart into it. A lot of dark, angry, bitter heart. And as to why that turned out sounding like a 1992-revival techno song slash FasterTracker II modfile... well, that's just a mystery.

Oh, and if any husies can identify where that "Internet hate machine" sample comes from... well... let's just keep that hush hush, okay?

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Oh by blixco (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 06:45:29 AM EST
we'll keep quiet.

Sicko.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

http://256k.org/mfc12 by 256 (4.00 / 2) #24 Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 07:31:06 AM EST
nt
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
You rock! by blixco (4.00 / 2) #25 Sun Sep 02, 2007 at 08:22:05 AM EST
And we all owe you...something.  Cash?  Drugs?  Ones and zeros?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Pretty please - More Time by Herring (4.00 / 2) #26 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 12:07:19 PM EST
I realise that 9/11 is a cool date, but if GWB didn't prepare for it then how can you expect the rest of us to?

17th any good?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

How about the 18th by blixco (2.00 / 0) #27 Sat Sep 08, 2007 at 03:51:33 PM EST
to make it 7 days?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Also, by 606 (2.00 / 0) #28 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 10:13:10 AM EST
I don't think the upload site is working. I wasn't able to upload my track. I pm'd 256 but I think he's kind of busy.

-----
imagine dancing banana here
We'll all email him! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #29 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 12:52:14 PM EST

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Ask him... by ana (2.00 / 0) #30 Sun Sep 09, 2007 at 01:22:45 PM EST
about closing out the WFC!

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

This'll teach me to ignore HuSi so long by Phil Urich (4.00 / 2) #32 Mon Sep 10, 2007 at 08:19:02 PM EST
I had whiled the days away, preoccupied with life and being characteristically forgetful, when suddenly today I recalled "wait!  The MFC deadline was the symbolic 9/11!  Zounds!"

As soon as I made it home late today I (rather than check HuSi and notice the inevitable extention . . . really, it almost wouldn't be an *FC without one) ran right to my room, set up the mic, took out my semi-broken acoustic guitar and fought through my sore throat for a version of a song by Trail of Dead (their full name being much longer, of course).  I'm not sure if I'll redo it now or do a different song . . . or just leave it as is, hell, I hate doing revisions and retreading ground.

And yeah, 256's site isn't working for me either, hence my blatant puncturing of the boundaries between my HuSi identity and my 'real' one by hosting it on my university webspace..

Last minute stuff by blixco (2.00 / 0) #34 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 04:37:31 AM EST
is often the best.

I have an entry as well, though I should clean it up.

I emailed 256, but he's got a real life and all, is very busy, so no-one has heard from him.  Or he's dead.

Maybe we should upload to various locations a la the first mfc, then I can just compile a set of links?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Enterred by TPD (4.00 / 2) #33 Tue Sep 11, 2007 at 03:40:04 AM EST
or at least would be if the upload site was working....

I let my inner cynic out for the lyrics, and TPD would like to stress the lyrics contained within don't necessarily represent those of him as a rounded whole.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

sorry by cam (4.00 / 2) #38 Fri Sep 21, 2007 at 02:09:18 PM EST
I have been meaning to reply to this for ages, but I like the guitar sound you have there. Good British Steel type metal. I think you drum programming has improved massively too. It is an excellent pop-metal-rock song. I really like it. Pick of the bunch for me.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

The President Stole My Rock and Roll by cam (4.00 / 3) #35 Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 06:48:55 AM EST

superhappy_thepresidentstolemyrockandroll.mp3

This was intended as a dumb, absurd, throwaway song to satisfy the mfc criteria. Kind of in the style of the KKK took my baby away. You can see the care I took initially with the tuetonic drum pattern at the beginning.

Something funny happened. It turned into a nice pop song. There are some really pretty guitar parts in it. I like it.

I should have joined a British shoe-gazer band in the 1990s. Would have been right up my alley with the guitar layering I seem to like to do. I also now know how the 70s rock songs got their lead sound. Seems I have mimicked it good.

The lyrics:

What has liberty ever done for you?
Voting is overated and music is too.

I have had enough and am heading home.
The President stole my rock and roll.
I have had enough and am heading home.
The President took my rock and roll

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Eggs-celent. by blixco (4.00 / 3) #36 Sun Sep 16, 2007 at 12:09:54 PM EST
I was waiting for your entry.  I really like the guitar, and the lyrics work quite well, despite being anti political MFC.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
That guitar is sounding really nice. by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #37 Tue Sep 18, 2007 at 05:24:30 AM EST
Moderate overdrive with a bit of fuzz. [Nice Tone]