Print Story Can I has pension, please?
Working life
By georgeha (Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:12:22 AM EST) weariness, weekend, gasket (all tags)
and other work tidbits.

Plus, Lost Cause, counting my blessings, drip drip, 566 and less in the spontaneous diary.

Metapoll: Why can't I think of a topic?

It's Friday, yeah, four hours to go. I really need a break from work, I've been feeling ineffective and burned out.

I haven't taken much vacation this summer because I've been hording it, in expectation of having to schedule vacation/child care around Mrs. Ha's possible work schedule. But, the kids are going back to school 2 1/2 weeks, perhaps I should start.

Other than that, work is pretty good, no trips in sight, lots of business.

In other work news, Mrs. Ha does have another job starting up, a part time morning job in a flower shop. The pay is not great, but the hours are, and it should be low stress. It's also close enough to walk/bike, which is good, as Mrs. Ha does not like driving in bad weather.

I just finished reading lots of posts on the American Civil War on consimworld, perhaps it will become my newest obsession. It's certainly easier to visit Gettysburg or Manassas than Normandy.

I also became more aware that people are still fighting the Civil War, at least in retrospect. You can google the Lost Cause if you want to know more. It was entertaining to see numerous authors and other authorities cite primary sources to demolish arguments that slavery was better than being a Irish immigrant in a northern mill town.

When I'm feeling down like this I should count my blessings. I'm pretty much off acetominophen. The heat is nearly gone, so my little Toyota will be comfortable to drive until January. We have a conventional mortgage. I didn't have to drive to Buffalo late Monday night to negotiate the release of someone from the psych ward.

I also found out how to reprogram our satellite remote to turn on and off our TV, and adjust the volume. Somehow it got deprogrammed, the magic number if 566.

There's not a lot planned for this weekend. I should replace the socket in our ceiling fan light. I should also try again to fix the crankshaft leak on my bike.

< I violated my house arrest | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Can I has pension, please? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Amen my brother by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:29:20 AM EST

I've been struggling all week. Not just at work but everywhere. All tired and mentally burned out with the same stuff every day. Bah - no real reason either as things are good with me, better than they've been for years as a matter of fact. Just the way it goes sometimes.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Things should get better in time by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:34:33 AM EST
football season starts in a few weeks.

Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:43:20 AM EST
Did you get into the HuSi FFL?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I'm an old fashioned football fan by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:45:14 AM EST
I care more about teams than players, so no.

Yeah, I think by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:53:24 AM EST
bob needs a break from baseball.

Oh, wait, he's in cleveburgh. Never mind, lost cause.

FIRST PLACE by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 09:01:48 AM EST
Scoreboard.

Nuff said.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

slavery by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:45:13 AM EST
I believe that was an argument for it at the time - "we actually take care of our slaves, you just subject immigrants to wage slavery."

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I think it's more common as an after the fact by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:48:19 AM EST
rationalization, substantiated by WPA interviews where former slaves interviewed by white folks during the Jim Crow period said slavery wasn't that bad (the former slaves had much harsher things to say when interviewed by black interviewers).

The canonical retort is to ask how may immigrant wage slaves went down South to sell themselves into slavery for a better life.

An excellent book by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 10:13:35 AM EST
clock is burning out as well by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:51:17 AM EST
work is killing him, i think he needs to make a change ASAP.

plus, being the only person who can do more than go to the bathroom in the household is really starting to wear on him.

We had a tough trimester or two like that by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:54:33 AM EST
but not the huge bedrest thing (our babies were small). He should get his resume updated, though.

I'm not usually into the genre by lm (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:53:50 AM EST
But a few years ago, I heard an interview with a scholarly author that wrote a `what if' treatise on what would have happened if the Union let the southern states secede instead of going to war. His theory was that the war would have eventually happened, most likely during WWII. He envisioned the Confederacy joining the Axis.

Burn out.

I hear you loud and clear. I think I need about a decade of vacation to help clear my head.

Cicero, The Republic
I get a kick out of the Lost Causers by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 08:58:15 AM EST
saying if the CSA had succeeded, slavery would have died out in a few decades. Uh-huh, it was those rascally Northern carpetbaggers which made all those Jim Crow laws, and held the lynching parties.

Some people think the CSA would have disintegrated with each state feeling free to pursue their own goals, and feeling free to secede. It would have been difficult, they would have had a long, hostile border to police, with slaves trying to go one way and abilitionists going the other, and most of the western world holding them to be a pariah. It would be like having South Africa as a neighbor.

I believe that was the premise... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 09:22:26 AM EST
That's what I've heard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 09:35:07 AM EST
something about South African's inventing a time machine to take a bunch of Ak-47's back to the Civil War to help the South win. It's in my buy for a quarter slot.

That's actually an earlier standalone book... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 09:49:20 AM EST
I wasn't thinking of Turtledove by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 12:56:52 PM EST
I think that The Confederate States of America is what I was thinking of. Rather than a novel, it's an analysis of what might have been written by a historian.

Cicero, The Republic
Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 11:14:29 AM EST
  • Lazy.
  • We're all burning out. I'm not ready to be shuttling kids to [bus stops|school], and I have no vacation left 'till next year. And my joints are killing me. So there.

WIPO: Your life is too boring for polls. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Aug 10, 2007 at 12:59:55 PM EST
    When I first got out of school, a friend and I both went into the civil service system. 2 years later I was out again because, dear God, those people were worthless, inefficient, and I had to get out before I completely lost the ability to work.

20 years later, he's rapidly approaching early retirement, and I'm eyeballing a stack of worthless stock options in dead companies.... Sigh.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Can I has pension, please? | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback