Print Story How did I ever get by without my handy box
Motorbikes
By georgeha (Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:16:04 AM EST) barbeque, wrenchin', Milton Bradley (all tags)
of O rings?

Plus beer, bikes and barbeque, dinner for eight, dessert for nine, Walk the Line, Falling Angels, Stratego, and less.

Poll: Favorite music biopic?

It was a good weekend, with modest amounts of beer, bikes and barbeque (that would be pulled pork Carolina style with a bit of tomato sauce added). We were even childfree for most of it, and took advantage of that.

Thursday night we had a full house, Irish_girl and her two daughters were over, as was Porsche_girl. It was nice to see Porsche_girl again, I get used to seeing her every morning during the school year. We had cookie cake for six year old, and then Porsche-mom and bird_lady showed up for an even fuller house.

Six year old enjoyed her presents, she's very grateful. She even gushed over the bag of trail mix we bought her from Walmart.

Saturday we went garage saling, my biggest purchase was an old copy of Stratego for $1. It was missing two blue pieces, and had two extra red pieces, so with a little paint I have a complete set now (though two are a different blue), except for missing rules.

Stratego was one of the games I never had as a kid, and only got to play at friends houses a handful of times. I'm looking forward to making up for that bit of my childhood.

Saturday night we went to a cash only BYOB Italian restaurant very near the Lake. Mrs. Ha enjoyed it very much, I thought it was good, but basic Italian. Afterwards we parked near the boat ramp and walked along the pier and beach, watching far away fireworks and staring at Marge's, someday I'll have to check it out. A welcome surprise when we left, I didn't get a ticket (I got one decades ago).

Sunday was shopping for nearly eleven year old's birthday, and in the evening I got some wrenching time in, while drinking Old Milwaukee in a can. The JB Weld is still there, so I'm blaming the oil leak on my crankshaft seal, the dynamo/crankshaft cover was full of fresh oil. I had my ever handy box of O rings nearby, and stuck some on the crankshaft at various places to see if that helps. Tonight I'll take it out for a while.

How did I get along with that box of O rings? So far I've used it to fix the hose on my propane tank that I use to roast coffee beans, replace the old rings on our swimming pool filter, and now my bike!

Words must mean different things in Canada, case in point, Falling Angels, a family drama in the vein of The Virgin Suicides. The blurb calls it a wickedly funny film that puts the fun in dysfunctional, is wickedly a synonym for "not at all" in Canada? Anyhow, it's about a family with a martinet dad, a severely depressed/disabled/alcoholic mom, and three daughters, the caretaker, the smart mouth and the naive sex kitten, and how they got there, and how they function. It's set in Canada, near Niagara Falls, so maybe the mom is just a Maple Leafs fan. Finally, they have a bomb shelter, I didn't think Canadians went for them. Recommended for fans of The Virgin Suicides or Lifetime movies.

The other movie we finished was Walk the Line. It was great, it made me want to go out and buy some Johnny Cash tunes. It did remind me of lots of the other southern biopics (Great Balls of Fire, Coal Miner's Daughter). What's  your favorite music biopic?

< ``If we were truly happy, we would not seek diversion in order to make ourselves happy'' | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
How did I ever get by without my handy box | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
When I was a kid I always wanted a Spacehopper by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:25:29 AM EST
But I never got one. So, when the kids were of an appropriate age, I bought them one each, so there would likely be a spare for me.
If you want your laugh for the day, imagine the fat middle-aged bloke in a spacehopper race down the backyard. Happy times.

Spacehoppers must rank near the top of things by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:12:46 AM EST
that look fun, but really aren't, along with riding in heavy cool weather waterproof gear on a sweltering hot summer day.

Disagree by Phage (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 10:41:39 PM EST
I had a lot of fun with the spacehoppers. They also make excellent weapons when swung by the horns.

Waterproofs in Australian heat. I know exactly what you mean. This is a job for Belstaff Man !

My favorite movie biopic is The Commitments by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:28:08 AM EST
Oh, wait, that's not really a biopic.

Cicero, The Republic
I tried to keep it somewhat real by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:14:24 AM EST
No Commitments, Ruttles, Monkees, Josie and the Pussycats.

so I voted for "Almost Famous" by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:49:19 AM EST
but what band was that about? I thought the show was about Cameron Crowe.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
I think the band was fictional by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:08:25 AM EST
but Cameron Crowe is a music critic, to it's sort of appropriate for the poll, or maybe I need a poll about metamusic biopics.

It was a fictional band by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 06:41:13 AM EST
However, Cameron Crowe did tour with the Alman Brothers at a young age.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I hope you enjoyed the mod point by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #29 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 06:43:10 AM EST
in the Heinlein discussion yesterday.

danke by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 06:50:06 AM EST
I seem to be all over slashdot lately.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
pulled pork Carolina style by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:12:37 AM EST
Yummy.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, but this had more tomato and less by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:13:21 AM EST
vinegar. Still yummy, but not quite Carolina.

Well, that's Carolina too. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:18:39 AM EST
There's also Carolina style meaning heavy on the mustard in the sauce, and lighter on the tomato.

But, yeah, vinegar based is what I grew up on, since there's a bbq place that does it that way. They have the Best Coleslaw Ever.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm familiar with the Raliegh style barbeque by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:21:12 AM EST
though it's been decades.

It will be centuries by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:53:19 PM EST

before I eat that stuff again.

Falling Angels sounds just like by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:31:34 AM EST
the sort of thing that would be funded by government bureaucrats as opposed to Joe Sixpack at the box office (i.e., how Canadian films get made vs how USian films get made.)

Voted for Sid & Nancy - Gary Oldman's best performance.

It was an interesting look at life in Canada in by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:40:21 AM EST
the 60's. Once in a while you could see their lawns through the snow, and the igloos were decorated in a hideous 1950s style. No polar bear sightings, though.

One more pic for my future "Favorite Canadian film" poll.

Be sure to see by spacejack (4.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 12:26:40 PM EST
"Goin down the Road", my personal favourite.

Right now I'm going with Festival Express by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 04:00:14 AM EST
though most of the musicians are Americans.

Hey Egil, how goes the fossil hunting? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 04:33:57 AM EST
You should take some pictures and upload them here.

Honest, I loved by ni (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 09:40:27 AM EST
falling angels. I had completely forgotten its name until now, but I really did find it funny and touching.

"Not of this world..." -- 256, on the subject of the New Jersey Turnpike
I loved the commercials for Stratego by lm (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 11:50:11 AM EST
They made it look like the most fun game in the entire universe. I begged and pleaded for my mom to buy it for me to no avail.

And then I discovered that my grandmother had purchased it for my uncle who was a scant 6 years older than I. I begged and pleaded for him to play it with me. And then I discovered the sordid truth, that it was amazingly boring to play.

Cicero, The Republic
You're ruining my Nth childhood by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 11:54:36 AM EST
I'll do my best to get my $1 out of it.

what are you going to do about the by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 02:49:17 PM EST
"blue" pieces? Always play blue and find a different sucker opponent each time? Paint them all off-blue?

Wumpus

Blue will be at a disadvantage by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 04:38:06 AM EST
since the red opponent can quickly figure out which off blue piece is the Marshall, and which is the bomb, so I'll just take blue.

Repaint the blue team white by lm (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:52:10 AM EST
Red vs. White is one of my favorite memes with regards to historical re-enactments.

Cicero, The Republic
That would be 40 pieces to paint! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:54:07 AM EST
I'll save the red vs white for Pizza Battles.

don't listen to him, stratego is awesome. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 04:42:40 AM EST

not quite that bad by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 01:52:27 PM EST
although you probably won't want to play more than  twice a day. ever.

WIPO by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 12:59:52 PM EST
I'm casting my vote for Backbeat. A good Beatles flick must be something like the Holy Grail of music biopic flicks, but I don't see it happening in our lifetimes. This Beatles-Before-They're-The-Beatles flick is as close as we'll get.

The Beach Boys would also make excellent biopic fodder. Right now all we've got is a very so-so made-for-TV movie of their lives. With Wilson's return as a performing and recording artist, and the release of Smile after so many years, you'd have a nice way to end the flick.

I actually like the of a meta-musical biopic flick poll. I nominate Music of My Heart (several "that's-supposed-to-be . . . " groups in it, topped by a wonderful Matt Dillon as an un-Brian Wilson), The Five Heartbeats (a mash-up of every mid-60s male soul group), This Is Spinal Tap (mash-up of umlaut-loving proto-metal groups), and Hard Day's Night (the Beatles playing fake versions of themselves).

I've seen Spinal Tap by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Jul 12, 2007 at 05:50:50 AM EST
and snippets of Hard Day's Night, but I don't know if I've seen enough metamusic biopics for a worthhy poll.