Print Story I just can't party like I used to
Family
By georgeha (Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 07:50:24 AM EST) party, no sleep til Brooklyn, Seabreeze (all tags)
A three hour party for six year old wiped me out the whole next day.

Plus, cowardness in the war of the leaflets, Sexy Beast, the Gripping Hand and less.

Poll: Favorite little pink toy?

Our neighborhood is at war over the right to sleep at night versus the right to party hearty. We have a noise ordinance, where you should not be able to be heard past your property line after 10 pm.

Last week someone stuffed flyers into everyone's mailbox, giving details of the noise ordinance and how to give a deposition the next day, for a hefty fine ($200 USD for the first offense). A few days later, someone stuffed another flyer in everyone's mailbox, calling for neighborliness and saying the police had better stuff to do than bust parties, like solve murders.

The second flyer said it was cowardness to involve the police when you should just walk up to the noisy party and ask them to keep it down. I'm unsure as to what cowardness means, but if it's cowardice for a thin nearly middle aged man to go up to a houseful of rugby players who have been drinking heavily for 12 hours and ask them to keep it down, call me a coward.

The second flyer did give me my weekly RDA of irony, it was signed J__, with no address or telephone number. I guess an anonymous pamphlet accusing others of "cowardness" for not being upfront is an example of braveness.

Onto media reviews

The last movie we finished was Sexy Beast, it was good for seeing how unpleasant Ben Kinglsey was, and seeing the Spanish countryside. It could have used subtitles, though, I didn't catch all the lines (too used to a BBC English accent I guess).

The last book I finished was the sequel to The Mote In God's Eye, The Gripping Hand. The Human Empire returns to the Mote, trying to find a way to coexist with them. Pretty good if you're a fan o the first.

Holiday wrapup

I had a very welcome six days off work, though we kept very busy. I took Friday off to go to the local amusement park with the Girl Scouts. Fortunately for six year old, her best friend from school was also able to go, AF_mom bought season tickets.

Monday was six year old's party, we spent most of the weekend getting ready, I even repaired our garage door, and we made the backyard look great. All of her friends were able to make it (most have a parent at home during the day) and even the occasional girl next door came over. Six year old had a great time, but I spent too much time chasing after the girls to socialize much. Mrs. Ha and I were exhausted come Tuesday. We did still go out and get gifts for six year old, nearly 11 year old even came along to help shop.

Yesterday was another mellow day, we ended up going to my parents to watch the suburban fireworks, and my parents had pressents for the girls. Lots of little pink toys.

Tonight is when we give six year old her presents, more pink little toys.

< We'll need an army of virile men scoring round the clock | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I just can't party like I used to | 38 comments (38 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I currently own by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:12:05 AM EST
3 of the little pink toys listed. I don't think of myself as girlie, but there's gotta be something girlie if I own 3 pink toys.

Pretty soon the kid parties are going to break ya. My 13-year-old wanted laser tag for her birthday. I miss the days when cake and ice cream in the backyard were enough.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

I know, after spending $160 on tie dye supplies by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:25:01 AM EST
for nearly 11 year old's birthday, I'm wondering if the pony party is cheaper. OTOH, we're getting some other outfits out of it, and it's not a sleepover (newspaper_mom is doing an HP themed sleepover for her daughter the weekend after).

"HP" by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:35:52 AM EST
Hewlett Packard?

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
Dumbledorf dies! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:40:14 AM EST
Harry Potter, I think they're even planning a midnight trip to the bookstore to get book 7.

Is HP a pink theme party? by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:45:44 AM EST
Or blue?

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
I think it will be girl oriented by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:48:31 AM EST
as most of the girls nearly eleven year old hangs with are still in the boys are icky stage.

Leaflets in a mailbox by jimgon (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:13:48 AM EST
You know that's illegal.  It's an honest-to-goodness Federal offense.  When I ran for office I had to tape my leaflets to people's doors so that I couldn't be narced on.

---------------
Oh yeah, messing with the mails is a big one by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:23:21 AM EST
I'm surprised the second leaflet didn't mention that, too.

lolwhat? by hulver (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:13:18 AM EST
Posting stuff to people without using a state controlled monopoly supplier is illegal in the land of the free?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Yeah, mailboxes are funny by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:15:32 AM EST
They have to meet certain standards, and no one but the owner and mailman should touch them.

Mailboxes by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:44:41 AM EST
Mailboxes, once they are  affixed for the purpose of receiving postal deliveries are, get this, legally Federal property.  There are a bunch of laws around this.  Mainly it goes back to the concept that the US Postal Service is mandated to deliver all mail.  The  laws blocked competitors from getting into the business which in turn was to help promote standards and make it  self sufficient.

---------------
Heh by hulver (4.00 / 1) #26 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:49:13 AM EST
Over here in Blighty we have a hole in the front door. People shove stuff (including postmail) through it. No laws about it as far as I know, although if it doesn't work the postie is liable to get a bit shirty and shove your post in the bin instead.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Holes in doors by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:54:41 AM EST
Some people have those.  Those are the ones I would stick flyers in since the Postal Overlords couldn't read it and track it back to me.  The boxes on the outside are inexpensive so most people go with those.

---------------
Did you watch Sexy Beast at home? by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:25:00 AM EST
Almost all television sets of recent manufacture have a closed caption decoder built in nowadays. Additionally, most DVDs and VHS tapes are closed captioned even if they don't have subtitles, which most do. With feature films, I usually turn the closed captioning off the set and use the English subtitles because the subtitles are usually placed on screen to be unobtrusive which is not always the case with captioning.

I pretty much agree with your review. Other than Ben Kingsley's villain and the shots of the countryside, the film was pretty useless. I couldn't find it within myself to care about any of the characters.

Cicero, The Republic
Yeah, I didn't think to turn on subtitles though by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:26:54 AM EST
it would have made the whole movie much less confusing.

I really enjoyed sexy beast by cam (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:50:08 AM EST
there was a spate of British gangster movies which were really good. That was one them.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

If I could have understood everything by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 08:58:04 AM EST
I would have enjoyed it more. The accents probably weren't so strange to you.

I agree with half your comment by lm (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:12:31 AM EST
There were a number of British gangster movies that were really good right around the time that Sexy Beast came out. But to classify Sexy Beast among these is a categorical error.

Cicero, The Republic
it was a love story in a gangster movie by cam (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:34:16 AM EST
it should be categorised as a gangster movie.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I didn't say it wasn't [nt] by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 09:41:14 AM EST

Cicero, The Republic
Didn't kow about the sequel . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 10:16:16 AM EST
. . . to Mote in God's Eye, will definitely add that one to the list. Thanks!

There is also King David's Spaceship by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 10:25:47 AM EST
set at the same time as Mote, so it's not really a sequel, as well as all the other stories set in the CoDominion, which would be prequels.

But those by barooo (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 10:31:15 AM EST
Didn't have the Niven factor, which makes Pournelle readable.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Niven can write page turners by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 10:36:53 AM EST
but I liked some of the Falkenberg stories, too.

Not sure what it is by barooo (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:56:42 AM EST
but those guys bring out the best in each other, I don't think they've ever topped their joint work in their respective solo works.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Beware though by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 12:49:01 PM EST

Don't let that fool you into buying any of their collaborations entitled "The Burning Something". I went through the first one thinking it would get good soon, and the odd excerpt from later ones imply it hasn't yet...

They do better when they stick to SF by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 03:13:19 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, I heard this . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 04:13:52 PM EST
. . . is one of the great undiscovered SF classics.

Well, I do very much like sci fi, but I couldn't ever consider myself an avid reader of that particular genre . . . so I will continue to pick and choose.

My last was Echelon, a fast-paced, marvellous first effort by Josh Conviser (had to look it up again). Would recommend.

Oh, and to note . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 04:18:04 PM EST
. . . I've confused titles - I meant that I had heard Starship was an undiscovered classic .  . . (googles) . . . by Aldiss.

So, have you seen Transformers yet? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:14:44 AM EST
I treated the kids to a late night show on the 3rd; but be warned - I was caught off guard by the mother-son, well, let's just call it a "chat", shall we? It was hysterical, but I've been braced for 10 year old to ask "Daddy, What's masturbation?" ever since.

Which was annoying, because the rest of the flick was an absolute rocking time. When she recognized Scorpinok I thought she'd gone to heaven.

Best Spam 3v4r: Hello my friend! I am ready to kill myself and eat my dog, if medicine prices here are bad.

No, not really interested in them by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:18:41 AM EST
they got big when I went off to college and decided coeds and beer were more interesting then toys.

Ah. Yeah, that was sort of true for me, too by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #24 Thu Jul 05, 2007 at 11:22:41 AM EST
but between baby brothers and my own chillins, I've been pretty much exposed, but without becoming infected.

Still, this was a lot of fun. A little heavy on the slap stick (for the humans) but the robots look and act like massive machines and, for once, the military isn't entirely helpless and (with appropriate prompting from highschoolers) figure out they can actually hurt Decepticons.

Hurt the Transformers? by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #33 Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 03:33:26 AM EST
I guess it must be a movie thing.  I remember when the first movie came out in 1986, it blew me away when the robots were receiving non-superficial damage, and even "dying".  This was sharply contrasted by the cartoon series, where nothing more than a scratch would happen.

They're still ridiculously hard to kill. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #34 Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 05:58:11 PM EST
Not to give too much away - in the course of the movie, several take massive trauma and keep functioning.

Saw the movie this weekend by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #35 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 03:33:02 AM EST
I was amazed at how well the robots were rendered, I was expecting much cheesiness.  I liked how the dialog was so similar to the original series/movie.

Re: massive trauma, weapons fire is one thing, but being ripped in two by Megatron like poor Jazz is hard to resist, though.

Yeah, I didn't want to give up any spoilers by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #36 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 04:13:34 AM EST

Hey, my daughter and I went to see Ratatooie, uh, Ratatoulie, Rat Patootie - anyway, we snuck in to see a few minutes of xformers again and she pointed out something that confused me. Did you notice where scorpinok first comes from?

This post is one big spoiler by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #37 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 07:39:14 AM EST
"My son and I were trying to figure out which of them survived till the end. At least two decepticons are unaccounted for. Maybe 3."

Let's see if my memory can account.
Decpticons:

• Megatron - killed by AllSpark
  • Brawl (After the movie, wife and I went to Target, and saw the toy is called Brawl. This makes more sense than what he called himself in the movie [Devastator, which is the name of the combined Constructicons].) - killed by Autobots/US military in street battle
  • Blackout - killed by Autobots/US military in street battle
  • Frenzy - can't remember exactly how, but I do recall seeing him killed
  • Bonecrusher (why introduce just ONE of the Constructicons?) - killed by Prime on freeway
  • Barricade - don't remember from my own viewing of the movie, but IMDB boards indicate Prime killed him on the freeway as well
  • Starscream - shown flying away during the credits, according to IMDB
  • Scorponok - burrows into the ground in the desert after the C-130(?) blows off his tail
Autobots:
  • Optimus Prime - alive
  • Ironhide - alive
  • Ratchet - alive
  • Bumblebee - alive, minus legs (Why didn't the AllSpark regenerate him like it did when Frenzy touched it?  Bumblebee was the one who gave it to Sam, if memory serves.)
  • Jazz - dismembered by Megatron
"Did you notice where scorpinok first comes from?"

If you're talking about in the movie, he was following the airbase soldiers around the desert and attacked them from out of the ground.
If you're talking about a cartoon reference, I haven't the foggiest idea, he's a new character to me.

Hrrmm... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #38 Mon Jul 09, 2007 at 08:23:04 AM EST
Frenzy - accidentally committed suicide when he was hit with his own shurikin. I don't remember Barricade dying; Scorpinok definitely survives the initial attack (how do they heal? Do they eat metal?) but we don't know if he was loaded into Blackout during the street fight.

So, either one (Starscream) or two (Starscream & Scorpinok) survives, maybe 3 if Barricade wasn't killed.

As for Bumblebee not being healed - he wasn't torn up when he gave the Allspark to Sam; but the Allspark might have been responsible for repairing his voice box.

Finally - you missed it, as I did. The first time you see Scorpinok is during the fight at the Qatar base; Blackout fires Scorpinok out of his chest to pursue the fleeing soldiers while he hacks the computers. There's a split second when you see Blackout with a big gun forming on his chest, a flash of Scorpinok surrounded by flying sand, then back to Blackout smashing tanks. The first time I saw it, I realized it was a second Decepticon, but I couldn't figure out what had happened. It took a 10 year old girl to explain it to me. :-P