Print Story MFC XI: The Voting
Music
By 606 (Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 10:56:48 AM EST) (all tags)
MFC XI has come to an end! Actually, it came to an end a while ago but due to the forgetfulness of yours truly the voting has been put off... until now!

Six wonderful songs were submitted by very talented Husies, and they're all in here waiting for your votes!

The entries for MFC XI are (song titles sort of teased from the filenames):

Blixco - Cedar Park Librarian
Cam - Craigslist
TPD - Try Buy Fly Me
Herring - Ghost
yicky yacky - Bubble Cat
Evil Herring - Whore

Vote for your top three... or more... or less as is your wont. Voting will close on August 10. And I have a Google Calendar reminder so that's, like, actually the date for real.

Thanks to all the dedicated MFC'ers who sacrificed time over their summer to bring these fantastic songs.

< Dishing the dirt on Rockstar | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
MFC XI: The Voting | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The SHRMB song sucks dead dogs balls by cam (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jul 28, 2007 at 01:36:41 PM EST
Vote it -1. I was going to replace it with another song but didnt get around to it.

Evil Herring does much better fuzz pop than the shmrb entry.

YY's is awesome. Love Herring's piano and cello work. TPDs reminds me of the Blakes 7 theme. When I become the futurama satan I am stealing blixcos vocal chords.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Hey! by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jul 29, 2007 at 10:01:56 AM EST

Don't do yourself down. I really liked this FC's SHMRB outing (and it'll definitely be getting a vote from me, as soon as I figure out who else to vote for). It reminded me of the indie-rock offerings of the early '90s, which I've got a completely subjective soft spot for. I liked the exact levels of fuzziness on the guitars; thought they were "just right". Good stuff.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I concur! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 08:36:01 AM EST
Cam's work is always great, but this track is really very good.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Ze votes for the republic of TPDia are as follows by TPD (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 11:52:49 PM EST
Evil Herring - Douze point
Cam - Dix point
Blixco - Ouit point

Cam's guitar work and arrangement skills have become sickeningly good, those little mini solos are delivered with such style and confidence, and fit perfectly with the song - I just wish they were longer! However the fact I can't stop singing whore means it's probably my top pick.

Separating the other 3 entries was really difficult as I really liked them all, but in the end (as so often is the case) that voice was just too great not to vote for!

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

'Scuse me while I growl. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 08:41:39 AM EST
Good lord.  I'd forgotten that track, I really had.  It's a meandering mess, but it was fun to record.

I loved Cam's and Herring's tracks.  Herring's sounds like it needs a Waits vocal, and maybe some sort of theremin backing.

Overall I had a very tough time deciding on three, so I didn't.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I know by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 12:49:02 PM EST
If only I hadn't given up smoking, that track would've been great. Well, apart from the lyrics and music.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Ookay, tough choices. by ana (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 31, 2007 at 01:00:00 PM EST
I ended up voting for blixco and cam. I'd really like to encourage Herring to keep working on this kind of thing; there's really some promise there.

But this tune of cam's is ideal fuzzpop. It just doesn't get any better than this.

And those words were begging for a blixco tune just like the one we got.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Comments by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 03:35:04 AM EST
Cedar Park Librarian - Douze point
    Magnifique
Whore - Huit points
    Would be more if Pinky and Perky weren't singing. (Ask misslake to do vocals maybe?)
Cam - Sept points
   I liked it more than the points show, but a bit too similar to previous work.
Yicky Yacky - Six points
TPD - Cinq Points
   Found a bit too repetitive. Maybe absence of vocals heighted that feeling.
Herring - Trois points
    Plsfixvocalskthx. :-)
Me - nil points
    Could try entering :-)

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Absence of vocals by TPD (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 04:13:05 AM EST
maybe you should have tried listening a bit further. (vocals kick in at 1:29)

I do think it takes WAY too long to get going though I was going to fix it and then I just couldn't be bothered ;)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

Apologies by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 04:14:03 AM EST
I just played the first minute of each while writing the comment.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
It's fair enough by TPD (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 04:19:47 AM EST
if it feels too repetitive after the 1st minute (and it does) - the entry deserves a good kicking anyhow :)

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
I was not going to find by Herring (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Aug 03, 2007 at 10:56:42 AM EST
anyone to sing those lyrics. I had to get myself pretty drunk before I could talk myself into it. Even then I couldn't bring myself to use the whole content of the original ad.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Whoa. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #16 Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 02:56:10 AM EST
Damn.  Yikes!
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
A message to the kids out there by Herring (4.00 / 2) #17 Sun Aug 05, 2007 at 08:17:48 AM EST
don't drink, read craigslist, then record songs based on the ads.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
That's good by bob6 (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 09:50:31 PM EST
Entered my vote: Blixco (+1 librarians) and yicky yacky (+1 fun to hear).

Hey, I was not paying attention when that was addressed: what's the status of this music? I suppose you guys wouldn't mind if I spread the files around.

Cheers.
I don't mind. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Aug 01, 2007 at 11:03:32 PM EST
Mine is free.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I don't think by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Aug 02, 2007 at 11:43:20 AM EST

it's ever really been addressed; we've all been studiously avoiding it on the basis that, "It's HuSi; fuck it ...".

As I understand it, the law implicitly guards copyright, so I'm not sure that uploading them to HuSi MFCs implies anything except that everyone's happy for them to be acquired from 256's server by anyone who wants to download them.

Personally, I'm completely happy for anyone to download and pass around my MFC stuff provided it's all kept costless and "in the spirit of" the MFCs. If you wanted a strict legal position, I could probably find an open licence to suit, but if the above suffices, then that's fine.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I believe we agreed an by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Aug 06, 2007 at 10:31:57 AM EST
"Unshaven chin licence" which is largely, keep performer's names on the files, and don't try and make any money off it without talking to the MFC entry's owner.

I'm overcome with joy. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Aug 09, 2007 at 12:46:06 PM EST
A billion points for everybody.

These songs are just . . . man . . . excuse me, I seem to have gotten smoke in my eyes . . . carry on, I'll be okay . . . I'm just overwhelmed.

Voting is closed by 606 (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat Aug 11, 2007 at 01:16:31 PM EST
And the clear winner today is blixco with his track Cedar Park Librarian. Congratulations to the winner and to everyone who came out to play.

-----