Print Story Insert Interesting Title Here
By BelatuCadros (Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 09:10:08 AM EST) moving, is trust worth $1000? (all tags)
Last week I posted my first diary after lurking here for many years.

I revealed my plans for moving back to Canadia, but I never did explain why all of a sudden I decided to post. That plus getting moving estimates inside!

The reason to start posting isn't exciting. Being a computer person, I have my own domain running on a computer at home. It's nothing much. It's just a place where I'd post things so friends and family could find out what's happening. With the move back home, my computers will be packed, and so will my domain. I wanted to get started posting elsewhere.

This last week I've been getting estimates from companies to ship my stuff home. Since it's an international move, I think I'll use one of the big movers (Allied, United, etc). I am still getting quotes from some lesser known companies for comparison. So far the estimates are:

Company A - $5000, packing & unpacking included
Company B - $4300, packing & unpacking included, 4000lbs min. weight limit
Company C - $3300, packing & unpacking included, 2500lbs min. weight limit
Company D - $4300, full service
Company E - $2500, relocube option

According to the companies above I have anywhere from 2500lbs to 4500lbs of stuff. I'm worried about the price Company C gave me, it's so much lower that the others. The estimate is marked as "Not to exceed"*, but I'm not sure I trust the guy. I've got to decide if that lack of trust is worth $1000.

Along with estimates on moving my stuff, I've been getting estimates on shipping my car. The moving companies above gave me estimates between $1500 - $2500. The auto shippers were a little bit cheaper but most would only ship to the border where I'd have to pick it up and do all the customs stuff. Selling my car is not an option. I love my car too much. I love driving it. I love working on it.  It's also paid for. It looks more and more like I'll be doing the drive.

* Not to exceed = guaranteed price as long as inventory does not change

< He loves it when a plan comes together | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Insert Interesting Title Here | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Drive! by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 10:18:47 AM EST
YOU MUST DRIVE!

Also, extra limes, I use them in black bean soup and chicken recipes.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

don't go with him by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 10:54:23 AM EST
if you don't trust him. i'd think peace of mind is worth the extra money.
---------
$1000 is a lot of money.... by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 11:16:39 AM EST
...when you're going to be unemployed.

I'm going to see if I can use his estimate to negotiate with the other companies. The good news is that all the estimates are less than what I had set aside for the move back.

it is a lot by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 11:20:34 AM EST
but i guess it depends on how much you value your stuff. i've had family members learn the hard way when their movers lost things.
---------
I blame my Scottish grandparents by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 11:37:06 AM EST
for my attitude towards money. This might be a time where I have to go for quality more than just the cost. I just have to do the research and convince myself.

It's also good to hear what other think. So far it unanimous for going with a more expensive mover.

Think about it this way by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 11:08:02 AM EST
Once a moving company has all your stuff in their truck or whatever, they essentially own you. While it's hard to imagine a company going for the outright extortion angle, even so, if they all of the sudden decide that the job is worth an extra $2k there may not be a whole hell of a lot you can do about it. Probably better not to go on the cheap with something like this.

That's my biggest fear. by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 11:21:04 AM EST
I've looked at the inventory for the "Not to Exceed" price and it looks OK, I just don't want to have the "Oh, you're bringing that. That's not on your inventory. That will be $$$$ more."

There are a few companies . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 24, 2007 at 03:39:02 AM EST
. . . that can get your car moved for you by people needing to get somewhere - Drive-Away is the one I can remember. I am positive they are much much cheaper than getting your car shipped - however, you have to place your trust in some stranger driving your car that distance. Insurance and liability is covered by the company and driver, so there's no big risk, really. They also do a pretty thorough check on the driver.

I travelled from Toronto to Vancouver for free that way, once upon a time when I had a credit card . . . (sigh)

Interesting, but by BelatuCadros (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jul 24, 2007 at 05:08:07 AM EST
I hardly trust the mechanics to drive it when I bring it in for service...

Fair enough . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jul 25, 2007 at 02:09:17 AM EST
. . . trust is indeed a fragile thing.

Insert Interesting Title Here | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback