Print Story I once had an iPod
Gadgets
By riceowlguy (Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 12:14:44 PM EST) (all tags)
but it died.  It died!  It died....

So I took it to the Apple Store today (not where I'd purchased it, but where my Mac-evangelist co-worker suggested I go) to see what was up.  It was refusing to boot up or charge or be recognized by my computer in any way.

If you've never been to an Apple Store...it's interesting.  Not nearly as F.A.O. Schwartzy as I expected from some people's descriptions, but still not your typical store experience.  Probably the only major corporate retail outlet that encourages blue hair ('cause you gotta have blue hair!).  They also go out of their way to hide all clues that they are, in fact, a retail outlet.  No registers.  Almost no stock that you can see.  Everything is hidden behind counters and only brought out when needed.

So, I get there at 12:30 and the next available "Genius Bar" (insert mental image of my moving my hand back and forth, wrapped around an invisible cylinder of indeterminate nature, here) appointment was around 2pm.

So, I spent an hour and a half wandering around Memorial City Mall, to which I'd never been before, kind of aimlessly.  Malls are just not made for me, probably unapologetically so.  Sharper Image, blah.  Radio Shack, double blah.  Sun and Ski Sports...kind of interesting, since I'm thinking about getting a bike again.  I got as far as wandering around Sears looking at washer/dryer combos for a house I don't have yet before two o'clock arrived.

Once back at the Apple Store, the tech/sales guy determined that it was still under warranty, and after fiddling with it for a minute or so, determined that they would just replace the whole thing.  Dang.  Of course, they had to order one in because they don't stock the 60GB model anymore.  Also, it turns out that "replace for free" actually means "replace for a $30 processing fee", unless you have AppleCare.  Since AppleCare is $60, that basically meant that it was $30 for another year of not having to worry about my iPod breaking, so I went ahead and got that.  So, I walked out with an AppleCare box, a dead iPod, and a sheet of paper saying that they will swap a brand new one for my dead one once they've got it in.  Hopefully they will call me before I leave for Austin.

The one nice thing about today is that wandering around the mall for 90 minutes counts as my daily exercise.

Then I went to Kroger for a few random things and my copy of HP 7.  It shall sit on my table, unopened, tempting me, until I get home from tomorrow's matinee performance.

Oh yes, the show.  I had written up a whole diary about how great opening night and the patron party was around 3am this morning after getting home and before going to be.  However, in my somewhat inebriated state I guess I forgot to hit submit.  Oops!  The short version is that the show was great, the patron party was great, the piano bar after the patron party was great, and I got a little tipsy on overpriced whisky.  Given the headache I woke up with, I guess "a little tipsy" is all I can handle these days.

< Water, water everywhere. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I once had an iPod | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Tipsy? Headache? HA-HA! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 02:12:15 PM EST
Ur old, fooker!!!

When are you coming up?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Not this week by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jul 22, 2007 at 03:21:05 PM EST
but next.  I'll see you in the green room, right?

Sure as hell hope so! by atreides (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 05:29:08 AM EST
Though, I may have to sneak past the armed guards to do it!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

clock killed his G1 20GB iPod by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 03:00:29 PM EST
a month or two ago.  We decided that with the upcoming lifestyle change, maybe a flash-based iPod would be the way to go.  We picked up an 8GB nano off of the refurbished part of the apple website for pretty darn cheap.  The thing looks brand spankin' new.

Flash is the future by buttercup (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 05:29:59 PM EST
My first iPod died an awful, hard-drive-related death. It was under a third-party extended warranty (ugh) at the time, but I ended up with a fifth-generation video iPod replacement. So the move toward solid-state drives and away from spinny, dodgy hard-drives-of-death makes me a happy lady.

The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod!

"Too slow, Chicken Merengo!" — Cat

Should this one die again by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Jul 21, 2007 at 09:21:59 PM EST
after the extended warranty has expired, I will probably replace it with a nano.  I'll miss the video capability but I can live without it; I really need the music.

the video capability... by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Jul 22, 2007 at 07:04:09 AM EST
...always seemed to me like a solution looking for a problem.  but i'm a guy who is always within arm's reach of a laptop.

i do like having picture capability though...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Actually, I love the video capability on mine. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Jul 22, 2007 at 07:43:50 AM EST
I mostly use it on the subway, and, while watching a show 20-30 minutes at a time isn't ideal, it's a way for me to watch stuff I wouldn't ordinarily see. I also use it on airplanes, when, yes, I have a laptop within arm's reach, but I like the smallness of the iPod on the plane - it's easier to get out of my carry-on bag, for instance. It's much easier to boot up and shut down, too, when the time comes for such things.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
I've babied my iPod, by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Jul 22, 2007 at 02:37:35 PM EST
by always running out the battery before recharging. I haven't had trouble with it, but it's only 3 years old.

Funny how I couldn't live without it, but I've only had it such a short time.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

I once had an iPod | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback