Print Story llllllazy weekend
Travel
By MillMan (Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 01:39:15 PM EST) (all tags)
Here I sit.

Alright, first I ran a few errands. 150 bucks from cashing in the coins. Rockin.

Word of advice - do not drink monster energy drinks. I don't know what the hell is in there but my brain is off in another universe, and I'm not referring to the good sort of "another universe."

So working is only fun for so long, I think I'm going to go travel the world for a year starting fall of next year. I don't know if I'll have enough money for that length of time, especially with none of the countries below being particularly cheap, but we'll see. Traveling cheap isn't that hard. Hitting AU in the spring (ie, October) along with some of Europe in the spring should help a bit. Anyway here is my really rough first pass for countries to visit, assuming one month per line:

Australia
Thailand
China
India
Italy
Spain/Portugal
France
England/Ireland/Scotland
Norway/Sweden
Germany/Swissland/Austria
Egypt / Kenya / that part of Africa
Argentina

It's about time to do this, I think. I'm fine with traveling alone and I'm in a position to save a lot of money. My only remaining fear is the language barrier, and I can learn to deal with that by, well, throwing myself into that particular pot. Trying to see the world on 3 weeks of vacation per year is simply impossible.

< Even though I know, I don't want to know. Yeah, I guess I know. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
llllllazy weekend | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I've never found the language barrier an issue. by Greener (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 02:23:49 PM EST
Especially in Southeast Asia. If someone wants your tourist dollars they'll be able to speak enough English to get them.

Whatever you budget you'll always go over. I hoped to do Thailand on $10 a day and ended up spending $15. Some friends had budgeted $30 a day and were averaging $45. It really depends on how much you drink as that can easily account for over half your spending.

I preferred Malaysia to Thailand as well if it means anything. Cheaper, fewer scammers, more diverse and interesting culturally, fewer travelers and the islands and beaches were just as nice.

Malaysia is certainly an option by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 02:30:37 PM EST
and I put Thailand on the list #2 because I know there is a fair amount of English spoken there. I have looked at Malaysia a bit as I almost had to go there for work. Hell maybe I could work for my current company in Panaeng for a while.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Malaysia is certainly more conservative. by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 10:45:54 PM EST
You'll get away with more Infidel behaviour in Thailand.

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

malaysia by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 07:36:02 AM EST
should have a fair amount of english, as well; it was a british colony, and their ex-colonies tend to preserve english as a pidgin for communication between different ethnic groups.
also booze by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 02:39:15 PM EST
being 30 and all I don't drink as much as I used to. Of course if I fall in with the world traveler crowd that could change.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

i've never found it impossible by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 07:40:30 AM EST
but nine years ago in poland and hungary, not speaking the local language made things difficult.
if you run across any of those by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #4 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 03:58:18 PM EST
globe-trotting playboys, have a homoerotic encounter with them, kill 'em and assume their identity. Works wonders, or at least the movie seemed to indicate..

You know what I love about this place? by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 07:55:44 PM EST

The heartfelt, and rock-solid advice we give each other on how to improve our lives. And it's fucking free!

Also, because I neglected to say it before, DUDE, BABY! ROCK!

sequencing by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 10:53:47 PM EST
France-Germany-Austria-Switzerland-Italy works well as a sequence, travel wise.

Come to Switzerland by komet (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jul 15, 2007 at 11:28:41 PM EST
I have three doughnuts with your name on them.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
Sounds like a great adventure by cam (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 04:55:22 AM EST
you can get "round the world" airline tickets which allow you unlimited stops as long as you keep going the same direction around the globe. You cant zig-zag or go backwards. Ironically they are often cheaper than return tickets.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

might just by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 08:01:53 AM EST
fly to AU, then fly to SE Asia, and train it all the way to England. I'll have to talk to you a bit about AU.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Firstly, a few of these countries . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 09:32:18 AM EST
. . . can be done very cheaply - in fact, many of them. It just depends on HOW you want to travel. If you are willing to camp everywhere possible with a weekly hostel stop to shower, if you are willing to hitch rides (through hostel post-ups or the traditional way), if you are willing to make your own food while camping, if you are willing to do all this - it can be done very, very cheaply.

I know this, because I have travelled half these countires in this way.

In particular - Portugal has beautiful beaches not in the algarve, where you can camp for free. FREE. China, I am sure you've skimmed a few of my diaries - cheap, even when they fleece you, and even travelling in style there (great train, plane) is less than half the western price.

Um - Egypt and Kenya part of the same area of Africa? Or were you thinking the area around Kenya (for the safari/wild animal viewing angle, I imagine)?

yeah by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 10:55:53 AM EST
I'm not rich by any stretch but I won't be on a shoestring budget either. Most likely I'll hostel the whole way (I don't want to bring camping gear unless I'm going to use it constantly) with perhaps, if I really feel like it, the occasional (once every month or two) swank hotel stay. Suddenly I'm thinking of that after taking the trans-Siberian railroad to Moscow. If I can average $20 a night for the whole trip it should work.

I think I'm going to toss Africa and South America in the interest of fewer flights ($$) and more time elsewhere, but I was referring to the Great Rift Valley.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Mmm, fair enough . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 05:06:59 PM EST
. . . yeah. I'd love to see Victoria Falls as well . . .

no warsaw pact? by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 04:03:00 PM EST
Personally Czech Republic and Poland seem to be my favorite places this trip. Ukraine was definitly "interesting".

If uou do go east at all I really recomend learning some basic german. When travelling in cz and pl a good 1/3-1/4 of the people we ran into could speak at least some german. Just about the only english speaking people we ran into there were students and some hosptality workers.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

I know a little kraut by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jul 16, 2007 at 05:05:38 PM EST
it's the only non-English language I have any experience with and I'll definitely brush up on it. If it's common in CZ I might consider it (I was thinking about it and the list is certainly not set). Am thinking about the trans-siberian railroad now too, which is commie heaven the whole way.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

llllllazy weekend | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback