Print Story Trip Time
Travel
By Mole (Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 04:58:44 AM EST) Berlin, Krakow, Travel, Hostels, music, Europe (all tags)
Hoping to do some site seeing and visit some new places.  So if you've been to a location on the list and have something to add please feel free to do so.  Looking mainly to find small bars with rock/punk/alternative music something that's been harder to do than I'd expected on my travels.

Might go to Berlin/Krakow in the next couple of weeks.

Future destinations:
Barcelona - Oct/Nov
Prague - Summer
Amsterdam - ? August
England - New Castle/Liverpool/London
Ireland - Belfast/Dublin
Maybe Lisbon

I'll try to add more later on.  Lazy at the moment.

Forgot cheap hostels are also on the look out.

< A farewell to Mr. and Mrs. Upstairs | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Trip Time | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
three things. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:17:27 AM EST
  1. I cannot recommend Lisbon highly enough.
  2. Do NOT go to Prague in high summer. It's overrun with tourists, the central districts are nigh impassable, and cheap lodging is next to impossible to find.
  3. Barcelona, by contrast, is probably better in the summer.

Do NOT go to Prague in high summer. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:46:40 AM EST
So my friend who's getting married in Prague next week is in for a rough time?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

just a shitload of people everywhere. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 08:16:35 AM EST
i've been to prague in february, april, and august. february was the only time it wasn't crowded.
You need Timeout by Phage (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:26:23 AM EST
Click this

Also by Phage (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 06:03:53 AM EST
My favourite band The Living End are playing on Tuesday 21st August at the Electric Ballroom. Linko. I don't know what the venue is like but the band is brilliant and has won a lot of awards as a live act,

Dublin by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 05:56:10 AM EST
More expensive than you might think. Good rock/punk/alternative venues are also a bit grotty, borderline dodgy, but fun. Fibbers (right off the top of O`Connell St.) is a classic example. Bruxelles (off Grafton St. downstairs, left) is a metal bar. Whelans (wexford st.) is where the trendier indie kids go, but that must be taken in context.

Clubs: by Horatio Hellpop (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 08:50:37 AM EST
k17

Sage on Thu

Magnet

Werk 9

Lime Club

Dunker

knaack

kato

SO 36 (Oranianstr.)

Wild at Heart (Wiener Str. 20)

Rock-it (Obentrautstr. 19/21)

Bars:

Paul's Metal Eck

Last Cathederal

Trinkteufel (Adalbertstr.)

Supamolly's (Friedrichshain)

"You can't really know something until you ruin it for everyone." -some guy who used to have an account here

IAWMagnet by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jul 11, 2007 at 04:04:21 PM EST
I had a fairly good time there, it was decently good indie bar/club.

When I was in Berlin I wound up just meeting people in my hostel (Odyssee, I recommend it, the people staying there were all pretty friendly) and going wherever they were going. Magnet was the only one I remember.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Krakow by LodeRunner (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 10, 2007 at 04:08:26 PM EST
Fantastic place. I recommend the "B Side", live music, rock/alternative/etc, nice people. I've met local people there and went to other places from there on.

About Berlin, I don't remember the names of the bars, too drunk, just went with the flow from one to the other. Did the pub crawl with the people who do the free tour during the day (New Berlin, I think they're called), don't know if it's your thing, but for me it was great fun. I was short in time so it was a good way to experience a lot in a short span.

Only been in Prague in late Jan/early Feb, so I have no idea what it's like in the summer -- but from my experience, I can't recommend the Elf Hostel enough. Amazing place, and if what you want is to drink and meet people from all over, you hardly need a bar; Elf is that fun.

Ah, almost forgot -- a great place to stay in Krakow is Nathan's Villa. Had a great time there too.

Trip Time | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback