Print Story I'm feeling left out
By Dr Thrustgood (Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 05:08:13 AM EST) (all tags)
My first car and other automobiles.

I started learning to drive in January, and my instructor had one of these:

It's a 1.8 litre Astra, and was quite fun. It also had dual-controls, which came in handy during my brakes-are-for-sissies phase. It wasn't a Corsa, and I was happy.

I passed my driving test a month ago, and a week later had bought this:

It's a 1991 BMW 325i, has a 2.5 litre engine, and racing suspension. The backside has also been lowered, and it goes very, very quickly.

After three weeks, I did my first parallel park yesterday, and only nearly ruined the paintwork on a 730 parked opposite. I thought the silver-on-black marks would've been an improvement, but anyway.

It has scared me a few times now (tight hairpin + speed + rear-wheel drive + inexperienced driver = recipe for disaster).

Despite being a terrible driver, it forgives me, and only allows me to stall about every 30 minutes, or every 5 feet if it thinks the other traffic needs to suffer.

Driving rocks, but I'm still terrified by National Speed Limit signs on tiny countryside roads. And parallel parking.

< Back beat the word was on the street that the fire in your heart is out | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm feeling left out | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's a BMW by Phage (4.00 / 4) #1 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 05:19:47 AM EST
Speed limits don't apply to you. Similarly, don't worry about parking. Just leave it as close to the curb as possible, 2-3 feet say, and walk away leaving havoc in your wake.

As demonstrated in that picture by hulver (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 05:53:28 AM EST
He's got BMW parking sorted.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
That's far too neat and close to the curb by Phage (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 05:59:08 AM EST
It hardly represents a danger to traffic at all !

Damned right by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 4) #6 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 07:25:04 AM EST
I don't want to risk scuffing the alloys now, do I?

Well now by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 07:24:41 AM EST
I can't speak about speed limits, I just wish those stupid fools would stop driving 5 feet in front of me and get out of the way!

backside has also been lowered by wiredog (4.00 / 5) #4 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 06:00:47 AM EST
Yeah, mine too. Side-effect of desk job and being over 40.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

what???? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 02:22:45 PM EST
I had to actually pass the parallel parking part before I could even go on the road for testing.

Click
So then, Beemer driver by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 12:15:55 AM EST
Has it turned you into a cunt yet?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

yet ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jun 08, 2007 at 08:06:39 AM EST