Print Story CAR DIARY, AHOY!
Cars
By ammoniacal (Wed Jun 06, 2007 at 07:39:37 PM EST) LET'S TALK ABOUT OUR CARS! (all tags)
You drive like Old People fuck.

Slow and sloppy.

The following are not actual pictures of my cars, just posted as references for Johnny Foreigner.

Datsun 521 - 4-speed manual- Dad taught me to drive it when I was 11. His was white.
Only pussies learn on an Automatic.

Mom's taxi and my "Official" Traffic Safety Education car.
Her '74 Coronet didn't look this cool, it was a non-descript tannish-brown.

1968 Ranchero, mine was fire-engine red. My first "owned" car, a gift from my Mom's step-dad.
I bent the hood one day after work, when I failed to secure it after adding oil.
Later, I totally smashed the right side, when I brushed a metal pole at 20 mph.
Sold it to my Dad's barber and he restored it to better than factory condition.

Dad's work truck, 5-speed manual Toyota Hi-Lux, a red early-eighties model.
I drove it to college daily, during my frosh year and I smashed in the front end while tailgating a bitch with no brake lights. Dad was pissed.

Picked up a powder blue '74 Dodge Dart after wrecking the Toyota.
This car was hella fast, slant-six engine in a car that weighed nothing!
I kept this until I enlisted in the Army, damned recruiter never mentioned that I could take it with me overseas.
Fucking indestructible, I ran it for 6 months on a quart and one-half of oil, when it ought to have five.
Also, I got my cherry popped in this one, by a trampy friend of my sister.

Picked up a blue '81/'82 Renault 18ts from another soldier in Munich.
I ran this thing for nearly 6 years, junking it just before I left Berlin.
In spite of her age, she handled well on the Autobahn.
4-door and 5-speed manual, but quite cramped, as is the German style.

'81 Ford F-150. Another donation from Gramps' backyard, it had been a yard truck in the sawmill he owned.
Well past its prime, but I needed wheels after I returned from Deutschland. I ran it until it died, which was not long after it converted itself into a V-7.
Biggest truck I've owned.

"94 Ford Ranger.Gift from the folks, mine's green.
I drove this when I returned to college after the Army and still drive it on occasion.
This is the truck that was stolen recently, and the interior had been stripped when I recovered it. Fortunately (?) the ingnition still worked.

'98 Hyundai Accent, which muchagecko bought from one of my former co-workers.
He lied and said it was a '99, even had it registered as a '99, but the Data Plate ratted him out. It's black.
'gecko willed it to me when my truck was stolen and she had picked up her PT Cruiser.

All in all, the Dart and the Ranger have been my two favourites, I actually shed several tears when the Ranger was stolen.
Many good times were had in it.

The End.

< Memes redux | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
CAR DIARY, AHOY! | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Should be multi-select by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 06, 2007 at 10:47:36 PM EST
The Renault - And no further backseat action.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 06, 2007 at 11:53:12 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

or more appropriately by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 03:23:28 AM EST
the inability to destroy sequence!

----
I am a crime against humanity
-theantix

Hadn't seen it, but not surprised. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 04:45:10 AM EST
Used a crowbar to pull the radiator out of the fan and she was right as rain.

Heh. It must be something about by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 03:15:35 AM EST
Dodge Darts. But I wasn't old enough to have a drivers license when I lost my virginity.

Yeah. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 04:24:48 AM EST
In spite of the roomy back seat, I was really too tall for the deed.

You were not creative enough. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 04:32:16 AM EST
For example, I was six feet and my date one time was a 'farm raised' IYKWIM young lady who was at least five-eight. We did juuuuust fine.

I was 6' and 220. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 04:47:08 AM EST
That might have had something to do with it.

Yeah. I was 150 - 155. So we had a bit more room. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 04:52:34 AM EST
I had that Jim Morrison look going on in college -- but without the hair. Or the talent. Or the good looks. But I was skinny.

so it was a 97 then? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 07, 2007 at 02:04:58 PM EST
Does learning to drive an Farm-All tractor count as manual?

Click