Print Story A bike shift catches Mrs. Ha unaware
Cycling
By georgeha (Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 07:34:08 AM EST) kids, bikini, bad ass 400 cc bikers (all tags)
aka Attention roadbike infidels

Plus, too late to sign up, the girls next door, first 5k, I'm a badass biker, semilucid dreaming of old friends and less.

Multipoll: Women having kids, and your username.

Meh, one more weekend closer to death.

Mrs. Ha wants a new bike for her birthday, she thinks it's just what she needs to get back in shape. She has a five speed mountain style bike, but it's not what she wants. It took me a while to figure out she wants a road bike, with the dropped handlebars and everything, as she was saying she wanted a ten speed, and I doubt a ten speed has been made in the last 15 years. She really wanted a ten speed style racing bike, she didn't realize that paradigm shift in street bikes from road to mountain/hybrid that occurred, oh, 20 year ago, and thought she could just walk into Walmart and get a road bike (though theoretically you can).

So far, the cheapest new ones I can find are a Denali for about $150 at Wallyworld, or $180 at Target. For kicks, went went into a bike store, but the cheapest they have is around $300, which is three car payments for us. Not going to happen.

I did look on Craigslist, and a local bike shop, but there were no used deals. Any of you bike sorts know how to get a good used woman's road bike deal? I could always just get a cheap mountain bike and swap handlebars with my old Freespirit in the garage.

In motorbike news, I went for a short ride wearing only my jacket, helmet and gloves on Saturday to the library to exchange DVDs. I really like the trunk, it makes packing easier. On the way back, an exhaust pipe slipped out, and I felt like a real bad ass, wearing jeans and riding with an open exhaust.

It was a good time to ride, as one of the women next door was filling a kiddie pool while wearing her bikini. I don't need to be around that.

Her daughter was around a lot this weekend, she's a year younger than five year old, but acts older, so she and five year old get along well. We even had a friend of five year old's over on Saturday, and all three got along okay. It does get tiring having the kid hangout house on the street.

Saturday morning was a 5k run by the school, it was Mrs. Ha's and ten year old's first 5k. Ten year old finished in 45 minutes, Mrs. Ha maybe 50.

I had to sign up for youtube, I was too late, georgeha was taken. I can think of at least 5 sites where the georgeha there is me, and a few defunct ones. How many sites do you have your preferred username registered?

I had a semilucid dream this weekend about some college friends, particularly an exgf, and a coed friend I wanted to be a gf. It was semilucid as in  I had a little control of it, but it never became R or X rated.

I had to google-stalk them the next day. The exgf must have the first 40 links on google, her name is uncommon and she's written many public published papers. I used to be proud of having teh first ten hits to me, though now a comic book guy always has 2-3 in the top ten. I also found a pic  and bio for the friend.

Interestingly, neither has kids. I always wanted kids, and my theory is any women who really wants them will have them, suitable man or not. Does that make sense, vote below? It does give me some closure.

< Ask Husi: Cooking and seduction | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A bike shift catches Mrs. Ha unaware | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Bikes by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:30:48 AM EST
Keep checking Craigslist, Freecycle, garage sales, and bike shops for used bikes.

But I beg you don't get a bike from a big box store. They're just not worth it.

I concur by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:44:03 AM EST
whole heartedly. There was a lawsuit a little while back (can't find the archived story) about somebody near St. Catherines, ON that bought a bike from Canadian Tire (analogous to Target, Wal-mart in terms of bike sales). The personal ended up with the bike growing out of an orifice due to cheap material and an improper build at the store. Not that this happens to very many people, but ... you know, it could.

Used is where it's at for a cheap bike. Ebay had some old 10 speeds (actual 10 speeds) up for less than 30CDN+shipping.
--------------

Chiefhoser

(Comment Deleted) by ChiefHoser (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:04:49 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ChiefHoser

There was a Fuji 12 speed on rochester's cl by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:09:33 AM EST
of course I can't link to it from work, but it was from the 1970's.

I'm assuming a good 70s road bike is still better than a mass market one today, is that right?

It might need work by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:27:07 AM EST
but that should be just fine. Fuji is a great bike, they've been around for over 100 years.

The trouble you'll have with bike from the 70s is that it was made before standardization. I'm not sure whether they standardized on Japanese sizes or not. The trouble I have with maintaining my 1972 Peugeot is that it's all French and I can't find replacement parts without paying a fortune on eBay. The threads and diameters on the pedals, the diameters and threads on the headset, even the distance between mounting bolts on the chainring are no longer standard.

How abotu Schwinn's? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:26:47 AM EST
Mrs. Ha has a line on a Schwinn road bike.

That's tough by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:35:20 AM EST
It depends on the year. The Schwinn you know and love no longer exists. It died in 1993 and the trademark has been purchased a couple of times. Now it's owned by Pacific Cycle, one of the largest companies out there. The quality is spotty. Although they seem to be trying to bring the brand back into some respect, the product line is very convoluted, and they're one of the main suppliers to Costco, et al.

If it's an older model (70s), it's fine. If it's a new one, it might be okay. If it's from the GT era (98 - 02) or early Pacific (02-04), I'd run away. The newer, higher end ones seem to be getting a bit better.

(Schwinn died in 93 and was bought by Colorado investors which was sold to it to GT in 98 who sold it to Pacific in 01 and Pacific was bought out by Dural in 04.)

Is there an easy way to tell what year? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:43:30 AM EST
She said it was a real 10 speed, so it's probably from the 70's or early 80's.

If it's early 80s or earlier by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:54:21 AM EST
it'll be fine. You can tell the year by the serial number but I don't know what the codes are. Schwinn got into trouble int he mid 80s and went on a long, slow decline until it died. They didn't even make their own bikes after about 83 or so, they OEMd them from places like Panasonic and Giant.

If it has a name like Collegiate, Varsity, Paramount, or Le Tour, it's a real Schwinn. They should also be stamped with country of origin somewhere. Schwinns were originally from Chicago. After they started getting cheap, they were manufactured in Mississippi, then they were offshored.

It's a Collegiate Sport 10 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 04:39:47 PM EST
sitting in the back of the minivan, Mrs. Ha will call around to see how much a tuneup will cost.

Those are nice by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 04:54:00 PM EST
and nearly indestructible, though they tend to rust a bit. A tuneup, depending on what's needed, will be between $20 and $50. You can do some of it yourself if you're handy (brake cables & pads, der. cable, etc). You'll want someone else to true the wheels if they're out of true. IIRC, those are loose bearings, so you probably don't want to do that unless you have some experience, but that will be part of the tuneup anyway.

My shop charges $55, but they're in the city so they're more expensive that what you'll find. Ah, though I see that include wheel truing, so it's not that expensive. It doesn't include BB or headset repacking, but they'll be able to look and tell you if that's needed.

The only expensive thing that might be wrong is if the chainwheel or rear cassette is worn and needs to be replaced. But even if it is, you can just leave the chain on the large (or small) ring and have a five speed. But then, there should be enough of those bikes around to find a good used one for pretty cheap or free.

I suggest asking around coworkers and friends by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 04:34:23 PM EST

about the bike. When I lived in Sonovabitchigan, my coworker Pete had an old Peugeot racing bike sitting in his garage, and when I mentioned an interest in buying a bike, he unloaded it on me in exchange for 50 bucks. I got hundreds of miles out of that bike, and only gave it up when some prick stole it when I lived in SF. Steel frames may be heavy, but they last forever.

Also, WIPO: I am a man, and it's not my problem what women want, so I don't concern myself with it/Not as many as I'd like, as three-letter acronyms are quick to go.

Funny by Phage (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:40:05 PM EST
I have no internet profile at all. It would seem that there are some musicians with my name, and some academics with published papers. So any small trail is almost completely swamped.

Women will defintely have kids if they want them. The type of man hardly comes into the calculation.

Real name going down the rankings by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 11:28:10 PM EST
I had a 15 minutes of fame episode a few years back, but am now sliding down the Google pages.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Self esteem boost by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 01:34:41 AM EST
anonimouse (Husi) is #3 and (Kuroshin) #6 in google.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL