Print Story things fall apart
My laptop is falling apart.  When I say that, I really do mean that literally.  Speakers don't work, wireless card cracked and holding together by a thread, lcd hinge broken and held together literally by velcro.  Hard drive constantly fills logfiles up with i/o errors.  I've already replaced the screen and the keyboard on it.  AC adaptor held together with duct tape.  Pretty much the only thing it has going for it are my beloved dinosaur comic stickers.

So when I hear of these new Dellbuntu machines coming out, that's great news for me.  I don't have to shell out $50 to microsoft* and I really like Dell's new accidental warranty coverage (you can see why from the preceding paragraph).  I convince the lovely wife to let me get one, and so I try only to realize that Dell conveniently withdrew warranty support from these machines.

Inside: TV season finale reviews, and the word "fuck"

* which I hate so much

Now that I know that I can get accidental laptop protection, I want this.  Now that I know I can get a decently priced machine without windows on it, I want this.  These things which did not exist (at least to my knowledge) a few weeks ago are now what I demand, but cannot actually get.

So, I need a new frigging laptop.  Maybe I should just forget about the laptop accidental protection and commit to just buying a new one every year.  Or maybe I should suck it up and pay the extra $50 for the windows monopoly tax even though that thought makes me shudder.  Or maybe I should stick it to the man by submitting a story to digg about it.

In other news, it's summer-ish.  This means two things: (1) it's too fucking hot out and why the fuck does the AC turn of at 6:00pm at work every day; and (2) my internet connection goes up and down faster than [censored by theantix].  I am going to switch to Clearwire in the next couple of weeks because it's stupid that hot weather makes me drop connections.  Fuck you very much, Qwest.

Episodic TV season finales review:

24: Worst season evar capped by worse season finale evar.  They had such a great premise for this season with Jack being in a Chinese jail to escape from, but instead they just re-issued past plot points until I was bored in the face.  Yes I realize that makes no sense.

Heroes: So awesome, I cried a little bit.  Yeah, I'm a sucker.  This has got to be the best show on TV right now.

Lost: Season finale marked the official rebirth of Lost after the horrible abortion that was the 2nd season.  3rd season kept turning things around and with the last ep and announced ending schedule it's back to how awesome it was in the 1st season, maybe better.

Smallville: Am I the only sucker out there still watching this show?  Regardless, it was a pretty solid but not spectacular finish.  I mean, everyone loves a good cliffhanger but did you really need to put every single character in jeopardy?

Jericho: fucking bullshit that they canceled this little gem of a show.  All it was missing was zombies, and it would have been perfect.

House: Not really strictly episodic show, but still a very interesting conclusion, it has me verily intrigued to see what is in store for next season.

Weeds: Just throwing this in there because they need to have more fucking episodes of this show, and soon.  The nail biting season ending cliffhanger was like two billion years ago and I really want to see what happens next so plsfxthx.

Work has been insane the past few weeks.  They are piling way too much work on me so I can't do a quality job on any of it.  And now another co-worker I work with is quitting so I guess I'll have to take over that job, too.  Fucking great.  In the last few days I produced two large-ish fuckups, which is just jolly, so now I need to spend the next few days cleaning up that fucking mess.

THE WORD OF THE DAY HAS BEEN FUCK.  I BLAME THE WEATHER.

< 2007.06.03: In the beginning was the Deed. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
things fall apart | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 03:21:38 PM EST
I thought you would be all over System76.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I would be by theantix (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 03:29:14 PM EST
As much as I like to mouth the words that I support small businesses, I have a hard time paying $500 more to get a similar product from System76 compared to major retailers.  Plus they only have WXGA screens which means shitty resolution, they don't have the nice glossy screens (I watch a lot of tv/movies on my laptop), and they don't have that accidental coverage.  Plus with a 3 year warrantly, how confident am I they are even going to be around in 3 years?

Yeah, I'm just a bundle of negativity.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

SXGA+ all the way, baby. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 04:30:29 AM EST
Or something.

You can buy replacement hinges on ebay, too. I'll be getting a set for myself.

Oh, man! That's AWESOME! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #4 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 04:14:01 PM EST
Pangolins pretty much get no respect any more.

HAY, SOMEONE POSTED THAT DIGG UNDER YOUR GOOD NAME by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 04:08:56 PM EST
Also, how could the finale of 24 possibly be worser than that of Heroes?

simple by theantix (4.00 / 2) #5 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 05:21:40 PM EST
Because the Heroes finale was frigging fantastic?  And the 24 producers promised that despite the lacklustre season that they would finish with a bang, but instead delivered a whimper?  Also that Hiro Nakamura totally rules and is the best sci fi character since Han Solo?

I hope the answer I have provided have been satisfactory to answer your queries.  If not, I suggest that you reconsider your premise -- after all I have a certified Brain Age (TM) of 20 years which should be proof enough that my assertions are correct.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

Oh yeah, Hiro's great. No argument there. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:25:46 PM EST
The Peter/Nathan thing was a bull-shit, cop-out ending.

fair point by theantix (4.00 / 2) #9 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:45:24 PM EST
Really, the peter/nathan ending made no sense, I'll agree to that.  But I forgive them going for a heroic/tragic ending as that as part of the genre.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
And Sylar really should be *dead*. Really DEAD. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #10 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:49:26 PM EST
That's my final offer, you cheese-loving b*st*rd.

I think he is by theantix (4.00 / 2) #11 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:53:31 PM EST
I think someone else stole his body for unknown nefarious purposes.  Otherwise I'll be pissed.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
Three Things, Dude by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:12:11 PM EST

24: See that shark behind you guys? Should have milked the nukes thing for the whole season, since adding two more enemies and two more cock-ups made the whole thing completely over the top.

Jericho: worst of all, a friend who wrote for the show now has to find a new job.

And last, but not least, regarding laptops, you know what the right thing to do is.

The dude abides thrice by theantix (4.00 / 1) #8 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 07:42:36 PM EST
24: When successful the show jumps the sharp each frigging episode.  It's pretty much an exercise in sustained shark jumping.  I want nukes going off EVERY SINGLE EPISODE or I don't care anymore!  Seriously though, they totally spoiled the whole Chinese prison premise.  Even if they only spent a half season on that, and then finished the season with the nukes going off -- that would have ruled and could have been the best season yet.  But no, boo hoo he's all sad and shit.  Like I give a rats ass.

Jericho: make sure he knows about the zombies thing.  Jericho w/zombies would have been the best television show evar.

Laptops: since I use it for media I'd want the 15.4" macbook pro, which starts at 2 frigging K.  I could literally buy three Dellbuntu laptops for that price, with money left over for lots and lots of items from this diary's poll.  Sure, the dellbuntu machines might have less CPU and hard drive etc etc etc but that's all shit I don't care about all that much.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

laptops by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 12:18:07 PM EST

Buy a Vaio.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

So you're not dead by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jun 03, 2007 at 09:20:40 PM EST
If you really want the extra warranty, why not just buy a windows one and wipe it? If you're willing to shell out the ridiculous $ for those warranties, $50 really shouldn't matter to you. Are you really going to care that much about the laptop 3 years from now, though?

You can't really blame them for taking baby steps on this. They don't want to have to deal with thousands of "My mouse wheel doesn't work" trolls.

If you wipe Window's from the laptop by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 07:53:44 AM EST
Won't that probably invalidate the warranty?

I wouldn't think so by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 10:25:26 AM EST
Though I wouldn't count on it not being reloaded by the techs.

What really interests me about the warranties by theantix (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 12:10:43 PM EST
Is the accident protection.  I put my machines though a lot of abuse so I'd be willing to pay more for a machine that I would know I could keep around for a few years.

And for the kind of stuff I do, I don't really need the latest/greatest laptop.  I want a very low end CPU, 2G ram, a big screen and the peace of mind that I won't have to buy it again next year if I drop it on its ass.  But I don't want to shell out $75 for a shitty OS I'm never going to use and to a company whose business practically I have strong moral objections to.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

For the cost of those warranties... by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 12:42:46 PM EST
You could just buy a new laptop to those specifications if you break it.

I hear you about the MS tax, but what can you do? This is the sort of problem anti-trust law is intended for.

not really by theantix (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 02:04:48 PM EST
for a $1K laptop, the warranty is about $300.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.
Yes... by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 03:14:42 PM EST
What odds would you put on killing it in a warranty approved way? 30% seems a bit high.

I guarantee they'd sell you a new one faster than they'd give warranty service.

Based on past experience? by theantix (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:25:59 PM EST
I would say 50% would be far too low.  Keep in mind what I said about accident coverage being what was key to my interest.

But yeah, it's annoying to have to deal with CS for warranty situations.  But it's even worse to have to shell out another $$ for another laptop when I spill a bottle of coke all over my new one.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

Does the warranty cover that? by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 08:45:08 PM EST
I suppose I'm a bit biased, as I'd rather pay out of pocket for small things than have to deal with insurance companies. They always seem to have an out to avoid paying, and it just isn't worth the hassle.

Yeah by theantix (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 06:22:39 AM EST
That's the whole point of why I'm interested, that they are now covering accidents.

Also with laptops, repairs are seldom cheap or easy.  Damage to the motherboard or screen (both of which are common in my experience) cost more to fix than to replace the machine after 1 yr.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

Fair enough by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 09:02:04 AM EST
I don't know that it'd be more than the cost of the machine, but it'd probably be more than the value of it after a year.

Maybe try calling Dell's meatspace order line, and see if they'll sell you the insurance that way.

Why do that? by theantix (2.00 / 0) #27 Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 09:55:30 AM EST
When I can post a story to digg, get that to hit the FP,and watch as that hits the FP of slashdot?

Then I can read comments like this:

Instead of actually making that call myself.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

Wow by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jun 05, 2007 at 10:48:14 AM EST
My eyes hurt.

We need a primetime zombie tv show by theboz (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 06:40:02 AM EST
Perhaps something more like 24, but with zombies. Or maybe the next season of 24 can involve zombies, because they've recycled the same plots multiple times and couldn't get much more boring.
- - - - -
It was good to see you by skippy (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 04, 2007 at 09:46:04 AM EST
last weekend, or whenever the hell it was.  I can't keep track of time anymore.

Good luck with work and laptops, best wishes,
your pal,