Print Story Recipe for a really good weekend
By ana (Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:28:16 AM EST) weekend, stereo hijinx (all tags)
In which the author blogs a blog.

So Saturday was my birthday. A while back my esteemed spouse began to fish for gift ideas, and I allowed as how, since she'd upgraded her ipod and left her old one to me, it might be cool to have a car stereo that'd interface to it.

Friday I was ordered to relinquish my car. I did not ask questions, but merely took my parking pass, against the not unlikely eventuality that the carpool would fail to provide me transportation.

Mid afternoon on Friday rolls around, and my office phone rings.

ana $ana?
toxicfur It's your wife.
ana Hi, what's up?
toxicfur Tell me you didn't leave a CD in your car stereo.
ana I didn't leave a CD in my car stereo. Took it out yesterday, in fact.
toxicfur Oh good. I'm holding the radio in my hand, and at this point it'd be a pain in the ass to power it up again to eject a disk.
Turns out the surgery took longer than she'd planned. When I got home, we rushed out (using her car; mine was still in the driveway, battery unhooked, dash disassembled) to get some butt connectors at Radio Shark and a mounting bracket from Beast Buy.

We returned, she managed to get connector A and its wire harness wired up to connector B and its wire harness. Knitting, I called it. She sniffed. Meanwhile, I was stir-frying whatever I could find in the fridge. Rather a lot of it, starting with an over sized chicken breast, frozen solid and so not amenable to being divided.

After dinner, toxicfur went back to the driveway. After a while I went out and offered her the little battery-operated LED light from my key ring, which came with a clip for attaching it to a baseball cap. And her baseball cap. This enabled her to put light wherever it was her head was pointed, and seemed much appreciated.

She accomplished the job, got the dash board put back together, apparently without breaking any of the silly little plastic connections that make up the modern automobile.

Saturday, more or less usual stuff except for sleeping in a bit longer. Usually on Saturdays, we drive her car around, since mine's in the (single-car) garage, and hers lives in the driveway. This weekend, though, we took mine, with iPod plugged securely into the new stereo. Managed to figure out how to set the clock, favorite radio station pre-sets, use the iPod with it, etc.

Took the dog to the Sheepfold, where dogs run around off-leash. He really likes this a lot. One of his friends, Crystal, a beagle-doberman mix, is all growed up now. We first met her last September, when she was perhaps 6 weeks old, and hiding in a hole because she was overwhelmed by all the bigger dogs. Now she's a big dog herself, and runs around wrestling with the other dogs, and planting wet kisses on their faces. There was also a herd of pugs with cow-bells on their collars, and an Aussie to herd them.

Home, nap, and oh look: if we go to the matinee, we can see Paprika and still have dinner at the Cambridge Brewing Company at a reasonable hour. Venison and some kind of Hawaiian swordfish-like critter. Teh yum. I had a beer called YouEnjoyMyStout. Also teh yum. The venison's gaminess and the stout's stoutness were well matched, in my opinion.

The movie was wonderful. It's really Japanese animation at its finest. I can't praise this movie too highly: go see it if you can. There's a very cool trailer in various places on the intarwebs.

One further amusing incident: On the way to the movie, we stopped at the pet store to get cat and dog food. Came out, jumped in the car, turned the key, nothing. Turned the key again, still nothing. Quelling that queasy feeling in the tummy, I remarked "It's almost as if the battery was not hooked up." Out we jumped, opened the hood, gave the battery connection a twist, and voila. Minor side-effect of the surgery is that the battery cable wasn't torqued down quite enough to avoid shaking loose. Silly cable, that's attached by a bolt that goes into the battery itself.

Sunday, pretty much the usual stuff. Toxicfur got drafted to read a lesson from Second Samuel about David and the wife of Uriah the Hittite. Lots of good talk, and the (recently ex-) director of our choir got his kid baptized. His dad, who's a priest, presided. Very cool.

Home again, beans and rice with just the right amount of spice, write for an hour, trim grass, go to the grocery, and then toxicfur barbecued a chicken with a can of beer inside. Our heathen liquor store doesn't have PBR, so we had to settle for Bud. They don't have much beer in cans at all, actually. Nice and moist it was, and seasoned just right.

Life is good. And I'm looking forward to my 54th year of it. I'm extremely lucky to have a partner like toxicfur.

< Yesterday was a good day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Recipe for a really good weekend | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by jared (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:35:15 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by jared

Sounds good by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 03:56:14 PM EST
Belated happy day, and I'm glad your marriage is fun.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Thanks. by ana (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:23:29 PM EST
Also, Streetlawyer, check your e-mail. ;-)

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

friggo by johnny (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:12:46 PM EST
Do you keep it really torque'd down, or was that chicken (which you said was in the "fridge")actually in the freezer?

Happy birthday; you look like a monkey.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.

The chicken breast by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:22:27 PM EST
was in the freezer. The rest of the stuff was in the fridge.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

You forgot the ice cream cone! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:43:33 PM EST
And the fact that I got rather drunk on mojitos (mmm, mojitos) while cooking the beer-can chicken. I had a great weekend, too, and it really is fun to be married to you.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Certain details by ana (4.00 / 3) #7 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:44:36 PM EST
were [redacted].

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

well happy f'n birthday! by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 05:38:15 PM EST
and ain't it grand to be married to someone that cool?

the strangest part of this diary was that for some reason i thought it might be snowing up there still.  i have lost ALL SENSE OF TIME!

anyway...many happy returns!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Er... by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 02:03:32 AM EST
it doesn't always snow in the north country. ;-)

And thanks. :-)

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

A late, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:36:08 AM EST
belated, but no less sincere Happy Damn Birthday to you.

Beer butt chicken is pretty damn sweet.  Try adding a spray of lime juice + orange juice to the outside of the chicken.  Crisps the skin and tastes like, you know, really great.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I'm trying to remember... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 04:24:52 AM EST
what-all was in the rub tf put on the outside. Cumin was the one I tasted, I think. And garlic cloves and butter tucked under the skin. Yum.

And thanks for the good wishes. :-)

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Recipe (from memory): by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 04:29:01 AM EST
Salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin seeds, onion powder. Garlic cloves sliced and shoved under the skin. It was good, but I think it did need fresh lime juice on the outside, and I think it could've used less paprika and less salt. I'm already rewriting the recipe for next time, but it was still about the best whole chicken I've ever made. :-)
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Very hungry now... by Phage (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 05:31:38 AM EST
OT: Bonnie News - I have seen something verrrry tasty, but I'm going to have to wait until my bonus I think.

Sweeeeet. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 05:34:49 AM EST
I wish I could give you a 7, just for that pic.
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
<daffy>mine, mine, MINE !!</daffy> by Phage (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 05:37:01 AM EST
It's not cheap - but it's a lot cheaper than the sum of what's been added to the stock bike. There's ~GBP4,500 on there.

BEER BUTT CHICKEN! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 06:02:04 AM EST

Happy Birthday by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 08:50:57 AM EST