Print Story Call me UKOD
Cycling
By georgeha (Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:10:37 AM EST) ozone, pushbikes, MILFs (all tags)
Plus, bike things, our hippy ideals crushed, At All Costs, The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, picnic 1, a short ride, and less.

Poll: How do you keep cool in the heat?

My Sears FreeSpirit ten speed, about 23 years young, is about to be landfilled. I took a cable off it, the seat and brake pads are long gone, and the front sprocket has something wrong with in in that it shifts forward on every stroke. I suppose the steel frame is useful, does anyone need it? If not, to the landfill it goes.

Mrs. Ha now has a a Schwinn Collegiate ten, at nearly the cost of a new GMC roadbike. Bike shops tend to be expensive, and Mrs. Ha doesn't fully trust my mechanical ability.

My Columbia Royale 12 speed is back on the road with a replaced chain, and I can even get all 12 speeds, after some front deraillulller adjustments.

Next up, fixing the real deraiillluller on a 24 inch mountain-style bike for nearly eleven year old. It's getting there, but it drops the chain very easily, and nearly eleven year old had her first lesson in how to clean black greasy hands (orange gojo then pumic soap then regular soap).

In the long term, we have a garbage picked women's Huffy Sportsman three speed to deal with, it was probably made by Raleigh in England in the mid 1960's.

The push bike section of this diary is complete.

We have to get rid of our compost pile, the rats infesting our street may use it for nesting material. It sucks we have to throw out biomass now, we had a nice pile of strawberry stems going to waste. On the positive side, we've seen on dead rats for weeks, and the poison is not being eaten.

We have a few weeks to get our yard in shape, the kids want birthday parties at home. I already started reseeding the bare patches with that squishy blue stuff. Tonight's plan is hole concreting, weed and brush pulling, compost clearing, garden bed arranging and maybe wrenching on the Kawi, it seems a waste to cage in this nice weather.

The Toyota is happier though, at a garage sale Friday I bought a pair of Jensen speakers to replace the Toyota ones in the car. I had to cut the hole in the door with tin snips to make them fit, and one cone has a hole in it, but it still sounds better than the cheapie Toyota ones. I'm hoping the modest amount of attention I gave the Toyota appeases the automotives gods so I can get a few more years out of it.

The Windstar is happy, less than $700 to get it to pass inspection (brake work, new tires), which is a lot less than the Volvo would have been.

I went through a Naval Warfare kick not too long ago, reading At All Costs and the Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors was the story of a bunch of small US warships (destroyers, destroyer escorts and escort carriers) fighting off a group of Japanese battleships and heavy cruisers. By most rights the Japanese should have crushed the carrier force, but luck and tenacity and radar controlled guns were on the side of the Americans. It was a riveting and gruesome story, naval battles were bloody, if far from newspaper reporters.

At All Costs was the story of a convoy to relieve the siege of Malta, centering on the huge oil tanker bringing in fuel for the AA radars and generators and submarines based in Malta. A but less exciting then Last Stand, but still a good read.

Yesterday was the school picnic at the local Y camp, and it was a nice but hurried time, as we had to go my parents later that day. I spend most of the time shadowing nearly six year old, though I visited with airforce_dad and newspaper_mom and a few others. af_dad and mom have themed tattoes, he has a blue spaceman and she has blue dragonflies, each on the belly. I think they're new. Thursday is the last day of school, with another picnic.

I took off Friday to work on the house and hit a few garage sales. We let ten year old sleep in since they were up late for exhibitions Thursday night (five year old doesn't need as much sleep, or at least gets out of bed quicker). I offered to ride her to school, but she didn't want to go. Later that day after school I gave her a ride around the block, she liked it. She does need heavier pants to go riding with, even if it's just to go to school.

Also on Friday we bought another air conditioner, an 8000 BTU window unit for downstairs, leaving us with two 6000 BTU units upstairs (just call me UKOD). I put the upstairs ones in last night (they're predicting 90 F today and tomorrow), the one which we had kept in the basement stank of cat spray. I got it mostly off, or maybe I'm getting used to it, one more reason to dislike cats. Anyhow, how are you beating the heat?

< Pantless girls on motorcycles attract the highway patrol | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Call me UKOD | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)
in the south by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:23:38 AM EST
central air, at 69. It's 94 out now. ugh.

Were you planning on spreading the compost on something ? And what was in it ? I don't put any residential waste -- it's grass clippings and leaves for my pile, and no critters I've seen. If you want coffee grinds and pig-bucket type stuff, maybe a crock for the compost might be better ?

We were doing fuit and veggie waste, too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:30:13 AM EST
apple cores and skins, melon rinds, lettuce leftovers and such, in addition to lots of leaves. We still collect coffee grounds and egg shells for the front flower gardens, which appear rat free.

I tried to convince Mrs.Ha to give vermiculture a try, but she doesn't want worms in the house.

Too dry? by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:00:26 AM EST

If the rats were using the contents for nesting material, it sounds like you'd let it get too dry. It should be just short of dripping and any self respecting mammal trying to sleep in it will wake up with rheumatism and a really bad cold.

Maybe, but I think the concern was that they would by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:41:48 AM EST
take the stuff for nesting material, and eat the scraps in the pile. We have to deny them food and water, save for the poison bait, deny them nesting material and cover, and hound them ceaselessly.

Ob:ConanQuote by Phage (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 04:27:46 AM EST
What is good in life ?

69 is God's Own Temperature. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:38:23 PM EST

My apartment is precisely 69 degrees, 365 days a year. I wouldn't have it any other way, and fortunately, my roommate has no idea how to run the thermostat. Knowledge is, indeed, power. Also, comfort.

Missing option by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:35:59 AM EST
Wear a burqa

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
A long black veil by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:40:52 AM EST
I mean, a long black robe should be close enough.

Central air in NoVa by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:48:14 AM EST
Set at 75°. Sleep with the bedroom windows open and A/C off.

It's spelled derailleur

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

It's plainly some weird French word by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 08:53:01 AM EST
maybe I should refer to it as a freedom gear changer.

Sheldon Brown by R343L (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 09:40:01 AM EST
disagrees. Of course he spells it "derailer" which is actually spellable for an English speaker. :)

That's a very helpful site by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 09:49:03 AM EST
it may be just what I need to fix nearly eleven year old's rear derailer.

Sheldon is the man. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 09:43:07 AM EST
Nice guy, too.

Having some bad health problems lately, though.

wipo by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 10:38:33 AM EST
with a window unit mounted in the wall of the living room. don't ask me why, ask the builders. causes condensation in the winter, and they dont have covers for them...we use seran wrap and a blanket.
---------
Maybe they were used to working in motels. by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:17:55 AM EST

maybe by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 04:16:48 PM EST
it only cools the living room, and no amount of fans can get the cool air to do the u-turn into the bedroom.
---------
WIPO by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 10:48:30 AM EST
now that it's in the 90s, I'm finally starting to feel comfortable!

yay for not being cold all the damn time (stupid pregnancy).

IAWTP. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 01:09:49 PM EST
Except for the pregnancy part. Or the part about it being in the 90s. But let me tell you just how happy I am to have temperatures at least in the 80s here. I don't have to wear sweaters! It's amazing!
-----
If you don't get a Bonnie, my universe will not make sense. --blixco
Ironically... by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:34:37 AM EST
the George Cross was collectively awarded to the inhabitants of Malta, for their resistance to German forces.

You mean like rai-ai-ai-ai-ai-n by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 11:50:11 AM EST
on your incendiary bombing day?

WiPO by garlic (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 01:08:18 PM EST
hang out somewhere where they pay for AC.

ac by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 01:30:41 PM EST
8000 BTU for my bedroom with a timer that kicks it on at 4:30PM.  I was thinking on getting one for the living room, but that window is a slider and is too much work.

Click
Write in by gpig (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 01:53:26 PM EST
Sorry, I don't speak F ....
(,   ,') -- eep
Not really a problem in Ukia by Phage (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 10:47:29 PM EST
In Aus, I had a multi-layered strategy depending on the heat. No speikka da Farhenhot BTW.
  1. Insulation
  2. Open windows
  3. Fans. Lots of them. Ceiling/Desk/Pedestal
  4. AC - a big wall unit I got 2nd hand. The living room became so cool you could keep food in there. The fans would then circulate the coolth around the house.
Footnotes:
Ice cold lager can be consumed at all temperatures >10C
Live outside the house. House should have all around verandah. Or some other shade creating structure like a pergola with shadecloth/climbing plant, grapes, wisteria or passionfruit.
Eat salads and BBQs so that any cooking heat is outside. Also put fruit in the fridge, especially a watermelon, then take it outside and eat it when the kids get back from school. This would often be followed by a waterfight, ostensibly to get the sticky juice off.

Greasy hands by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #22 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:03:12 AM EST
I use this stuff, it'll cut out a step for nearly 11 year old.

I still have nearly a gallon of the Gojo by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jun 19, 2007 at 03:38:09 AM EST
the alkies left in our house after I evicted them. I figure it cost me about $2000, so I should use it.

Call me UKOD | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)