Print Story Misplaced Childhood, side 1
Music
By LodeRunner (Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 07:42:41 AM EST) music, marillion, side 1, misplaced childhood, catharsis (all tags)
It's been a long time since I last checked out Husi. And what a coincidence to see clock's post about recording The Final Cut, as I have done something in that vein just recently.

It was a crazy thing to do but, anyway... I recorded the whole first side of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood on a single guitar and vocals.

So, why not post it here for your thr^H^H^Henjoyment. :)

I recorded Kayleigh on Friday (June 1st) but it didn't feel right without the surrounding context, so I struggled with the idea for some days and then ended up doing all the rest last Tuesday night (June 5th).

Everything was recorded live (guitar and vocals performed together), captured with a single, tiny microphone -- it's actually an unplugged electric guitar. Yes, the sound quality is awful, but it has a strange quality of capturing the dynamics of the ambience.

There are no edits or fixes, apart from cutting the silence around the edges of songs so that they flow in sequence like they do on the album. As basically it was all recorded through one long night, there are lots of playing and singing mistakes, but bear with me -- I learned to play most of these songs that very night, so in most cases what you hear is actually the first time I played the song from start to finish. The idea was not to record something as perfect as possible. My intention was to record what you would hear if you were here in front of me and I played you this music. I hope the honesty of this approach was respectful to the original.

The tracks below are meant to be listened all in one go, using a player that doesn't insert any silence between tracks (on Linux, most players have some "gapless" plugin for this; on the Mac, and I suppose also on Windows, iTunes can do the job well). You may need to right-click and choose "Save" to save them all on your disk to avoid having them play in the browser.

.1. Pseudo Silk Kimono
.2. Kayleigh
.3. Lavender
.4. Bitter Suite
(i) Brief Encounter
(ii) Lost Weekend
(iii) Blue Angel
(iv) Misplaced Rendezvous
(v) Windswept Thumb
.5. Heart of Lothian
(i) Wide Boy
(ii) Curtain Call

All music written by Rothery, Kelly, Trewavas and Mosley. All lyrics written by Fish.

Special thanks to my friend Rafael, for listening, the encouragement and the advice. I recorded two takes of Lavender and couldn't pick which one I would include, so I trusted his judgement. His comment when he heard the other take rang so true: "you lost yourself there... it sounds like you didn't want it to end."

< The Exciting Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Misplaced Childhood, side 1 | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
But does your music attract by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 08:43:26 AM EST
Gators?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

mmmm tubas by LodeRunner (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 02:53:04 PM EST
Maybe I could record side 2 of the album transposed to B flat and arranged for a solo tuba. Perhaps that would even qualify as a CMFC entry. ;) I wonder if gators are fooled by a synthesized tuba...

Hey cool. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 09:51:01 AM EST
I'll give it a listen asap.

Man, this place is filthy with musicians.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Attention filthy musician infidels by alien zero (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 02:00:43 PM EST
Any chance of re-recording anything from the UK music scene over the past ten years and, you know,  making it,  er,  good?

Failing that,  I propose a re-imagining of OK Computer using only instruments constructed from recycled trash.  I will hereby provide the backing ambience to Climbing Up the Walls with this blackboard and this rusty rake-head.  Skreek.

UK music scene over the past ten years by LodeRunner (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 02:56:42 PM EST
All I can say is "God save the Manics"!

Aye by alien zero (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 05:28:04 PM EST
Whilst their latest offering seems but a poor imitation of former glory,  I have to agree.  Not that I was any great fan back in the early 90s,  but give me anything from the holy bible or even gold against the soul over the sentimental chocolate loaves being pinched out by the latest bunches of lank-haired losers.

There's probably a tangible fraction of this antipathy due to old git syndrome,  but the current state of affairs is just ridiculous.  Its an endless stream of cookie-cutter nobodies lacking (virtually) any talent,  writing about nothing.  Britpop killed britpop,  as it never deserved to live and breathe in the first place.

In a not-very-connected vein,  I saw this article a day or two ago in the Grauniad that was an amusing read.

I love this album by thunderbee (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 10:17:16 AM EST
I'm having a hard time with your take on it, not because of any fault of yours, but just because I know the original so well I keep on thinking "this is different".

You did an amazing job (listening to Lavender right now).

Yay, thanks a lot! by LodeRunner (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 03:04:17 PM EST
I'd love to hear your impressions after you listened to the whole thing.

About the "this is different" feel, well, I take that as a compliment of sorts as well. When my friend Rafael (who is my official "consultant for Marillion topics") listened to it, he commented that in my recording "it doesn't sound like an 80s album anymore". It was a nice exercise to look at these songs from a different angle, stripped from their arrangement -- and learning to play them only made me appreciate them more.

This is really cool. by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 04:17:36 PM EST
Pop music was not exactly my thing in the 80s, so I'm not familiar with the original, but I like your take on it.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Thanks! by LodeRunner (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 14, 2007 at 08:03:19 PM EST
Well, if nowadays you can stand the 80s keyboards and echo-drenched guitars, you may also want to check out the original -- it's a great album. At first, I didn't get into it when I listened to some of its songs isolated, but it has that floydian quality in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. (Yeah, I know I just avoided that dreaded term... "concept album" -- I admit it, I'm a sucker for concept albums!)

Misplaced Childhood, side 1 | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback