Print Story So it ends.
Death
By Gedvondur (Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 06:26:45 AM EST) layoffs, death, sadness (all tags)
Today, one of my tech loves died.

It did not die a death of old age or lack of relevance.  It died a death of costs, marketing, and cluelessness.  A brand of strength, technology, and know-how was consigned to death in favor of one that favors management over technology, buzz over substance, and above all advertising dollars on a fat margin.

When I began my career as a writer, this publication showed me a whole new world of technology.  I got to see the COOL.  The latest.  And I got to play with it and talk with the frighteningly intelligent men that made and the marketing people that sold it.  I saw a world outside of the IT department, one that was dynamic and exciting.

I was put in a position to help my brothers and sisters of IT in their daily jobs by putting my experience and skills to use.  I got to test what they would eventually implement and help them plan.  I could entertain, inform, and educate.  It was one of the wildest rides I have ever had.  It made me a professional writer and an industry analyst.  It made me important to a small subset of vendors who knew my name, even though they had never met me.

It was a blast.  The best fun.  They worked us like dogs, but the pay was good and we were helping.  We always thought about our reader.  We always did our best not only for ourselves, but because we knew our readers could benefit.  We could help.  We could make peoples jobs better and in a small way make their lives easier.  And we wanted to help.  I even left the publication and came back, mostly out of love for it.

Today that ended.  The brand has died and I have been laid off.  They say they are merging brands, but I know different.  I know that what was will no longer be.

Good bye, Network Computing.  There will ever be another like you.

< 2007.06.12: Hush little Cylon, don't you cry ... | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
So it ends. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Sorry to hear it man by cam (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 07:36:00 AM EST

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Owned by the same bastards that killed Byte. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 07:51:33 AM EST
Man, I still miss Byte. Consider this 9 year old (!) article. This part is still relevant.

And, from here:

When a PC crashes, even the system administrator might not hear about it, much less the vendors who made the system, the OS, and the application software. The user shrugs, reboots, and keeps right on working. When a mainframe crashes, however, it's a major catastrophe. It's General Motors calling up IBM to demand answers.

Damn I miss Byte.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ouch. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 08:10:58 AM EST
i'm sorry to hear it. Good luck with the job search. hug
ZOMG! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 10:06:10 AM EST
ARE YOU OUR NEXT TECH EDITOR?
NETWORK COMPUTING IS HIRING!
-CLICK FOR DETAILS-

Dude, they didn't even wait for your seat to cool down. You should apply for your old position.

Heh by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 04:57:32 PM EST
They have been hiring for months.  They are too clueless to take it down.

S
"Well, one of the two girls I'm friendly with out here is a Christian and she wouldn't do the things I want to do." --Sapphire

=( by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 11:59:52 AM EST
sucks, dude.

lets be unemployed together! actually, let's go get totally drunk! RIGHT! NOW!
---------

"nothing will change ..." by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 02:34:53 PM EST
they say ... except everything. Sometimes it's better to get out than stick around and witness the decline. Your experience will probably get you a spot somewhere better than what your old gig will become.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn
sucks by R343L (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 04:12:49 PM EST
Hope you don't have too much trouble lining something up.

Dude that sucks by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 13, 2007 at 05:33:30 PM EST