Print Story Tick tick...
By ana (Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 11:13:18 AM EST) CMFC, MFC, music (all tags)
The CMFC deadline approaches...

I haven't heard any pleas for an extension (yet). The one project I had set up isn't gonna happen, and I don't think another weekend one way or the other would help much. Apologies to my collaborators. Another time, perhaps.

Several new entries are in, though, and it's interesting stuff.

Though, TPD, yours seems truncated at a minute and 18 seconds; it that what you intended? What's there sounds intriguing.

Otherwise, how are things?

Last night we (toxicfur, aethucyn, and I) went to a reading given by Anne Fadiman, reading parts of three essays from At Large and Small. Lots of fun. I've loved Anne Fadiman since I read Ex Libris, a collection of essays about books, which includes the remarkable sentiment that marriage is far less scary and permanent a commitment than merging libraries is. One of the essays she read from last night involved moving, and her daughter was sitting in the front row, nodding her head in agreement with some of the more absurd features of that particular move.

I seem to have a character from my writings tugging at my ear, wanting his story told. This is a very different person from the others I've written. Should be interesting.

In a week or so, we're off to the retirement party of my ex-advisor. Most of his former students will be there, so it should be fun. And, I hope, not too overwhelming for toxicfur.

< Following up on last week's meme | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Tick tick... | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
TPD's entry is truncated mainly due by TPD (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 11:26:00 AM EST
to TPD not learning the rest of the really quite bastardly hard piece in question.

I'm not asking for anymore time for myself, but if there's any chance an extension would bring some more of the extremely talented musicians out of the wood work I really hope it's granted.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM

WIPO with Oblb008dsEntryRocks concession by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 11:37:21 AM EST

My main problem with the CMFC is its existence. I don't think it was a dumb idea, more an excessive / extraneous one given active participation levels. I'm not entirely convinced that it's needed, especially as it runs the risk of forking participation from the MFCs. I guess I just can't see why classical entries can't go in to the MFC proper.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
I think they could.. by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 11:43:14 AM EST
but i'm not at all sure lb008d would have come out of hiding for a normal MFC. So that alone was worth the freight, in my opinion.

I have a couple other ideas of stuff to do, just no time to do them in.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

I think that's my point by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 12:09:45 PM EST

Not that lb008d necessarily would or wouldn't, but if people don't come out of the woodwork for the MFCs, that's their issue, not the set-up's.

There's a tiny subset of people (people who can play / sing, but don't want to create, or fit their stylings to the challenge brief) that might be enticed by having separate MFCs, but people enter unrelated stuff to the main MFC anyway, so I don't see it as being an issue. If we had TechnoFCs and MetalFCs and BluesFCs, it'd soon become a disparate pile of pish; the diversity being the strength and interest-maintainer etc.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
True enough, I suppose. by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 12:17:17 PM EST
Now we know he can play, I'm interested in hearing the contrabassoon's take on Craigslist. ;-)

I was badgered into this by Herring and komet, neither of whom has entered (yet... tick, tick).

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

I was going to enter by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 12:05:30 PM EST
but I've been unable to find a working cassette deck.

Re: Combining Libraries by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 12:09:26 PM EST
Between the two of us, and not counting comic books, have on the order of 1500 books in the house. Not all of these are on shelves at the moment. One of these days we hope to turn the upstairs living room into a real library with sufficient shelf space to display all of them. Considering that we have one set of shelves stacked three deep in paperbacks, that's a pretty tall order.

If cheese is classical music, by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jun 12, 2007 at 04:57:34 PM EST
motty wins by default.