Print Story Ask HuSi: TVs
Technology
By ambrosen (Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 05:51:29 AM EST) (all tags)
Looking at the market for nice 22" TVs, it's pretty disquieting that it costs £300 to get a decent set with a digital receiver, but only £200 for a much higher resolution monitor, and a further £200 for a hard disk recorder with an upscaling processor, twin digital tuners, DVD recorder and whatnot. The decision's a no-brainer, surely.

Has anyone gone with the separate monitor and tuner route? It's easy enough to get the video out from an HDMI socket to a DVI-D, but will sound out be compromised, or indeed available from a normal line-out. Is there a converter box that's proportionally priced (i.e. £30) that would do it better? Are the speakers in a monitor likely to be up to the purpose? Is the UI on the recorder up to it? Is it complicated to use?

I'd buy it myself and figure it out if it were for me, but it's not my money I'm spending, so all help is gratefully received.

< Monthly Update | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Ask HuSi: TVs | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
What about by Phage (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 06:06:45 AM EST
One of these ?
The digital tuner pushes the price up but there's a 26" for £398.99

Tricky. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 07:01:50 AM EST
I mean, Evesham are good, and they've been around for donkey's years, but you're still not getting a PVR as part of the deal. I'd forgotten to put Evesham into the equation, but I think they're to be preferred if we go for a shop option.

Then the cheapest option by Phage (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 07:06:05 AM EST
Would be your 'media' PC with a stonking great monitor and a dual tuner card. A few people in the office here have done that.

I'm pretty sure by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 07:17:59 AM EST
that it's no big deal to hook something like this up to a monitor with a DVI input, but I'm not sure who's done it, and how the processing the recorder does improves the image, e.g. with aliasing on tennis nets looking frankly awful in interlaced mode.

I used to use a Mac Mini by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 06:31:01 AM EST
with a video in thingymajig.

When it worked, it worked quite well, albeit with really irritating 5 second lag between output on the tuner -> gizmo -> mac mini -> display. Made channel changing a nightmare.

If you don't watch a lot of telly, though, I couldn't fault it for watching DVDs and the like.

I'm hoping a dedicated media box won't have that. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 11, 2007 at 07:02:45 AM EST
It looks as if ugly nasty avaricious magazines with reviews may have to be bought. Urgh!

Ask HuSi: TVs | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)