Print Story a long walk on a summer's eve
By lm (Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 05:10:45 AM EST) (all tags)
and other miscellanea

Update [2007-6-1 12:29:35 by lm]: Apparently I'm a bloody fucker

Last night Mr. and Mrs. Upstairs came down to eat dinner with our family and Homeless Lass. Afterwards we all walked the mile and a half to the only local United Dairy Farmers location with a seating area to enjoy some ice cream. It was an interesting experience. After heading half a quarter mile due east, we cross the major artery that separates the `good' side of town from the `bad' side of town. Houses and yards double and triple in size and quadruple and quintuple in price. If our house were picked up and moved about a mile to the east onto a plot of land the same size, the market value would shoot up by about forty to fifty percent. Anyway, conversation was excellent the whole way and during dinner.

Homeless Lass is preparing to move out. She and Sonechka will be renting an apartment together. I look forward to being able to wander about the house in my boxers after everyone is in bed and to be able to mindlessly channel surf across the late night tv landscape without interfering with anyone's desire to go to sleep. It will be quite nice to once again have our living room back as a living room when the sun goes down.

On the other hand, lazy sod that I am, I fear that I will allow what friendship I have with Homeless Lass to fade away. I tend to be friends with people I interact with regularly and I seldom go out of my way to interact. Once it takes effort for her to come by for dinner, I'm guessing she won't be by for dinner so often. (This will especially be the case since she has no car and will be living a rather unpleasant half hour bus ride away). We've had some fun times watching the likes of Southpark, The Colbert Report and many a Sci-Fi channel original movie together.

Worst of all, I will need to think of a new pseudonym for her and my creative skills are sadly lacking.

The NY Times has a good article on the great tragedy of the prevalence of the children's menu in the US.

Somehow I entirely missed The Allison Stokke Saga but today I started stumbling upon commentary about the reporting of said saga. I'm not certain I get it.

Dr. Death is being paroled after promising not to kill anyone else.

Following up on cam's link, if Mazda had released this earlier, I would have bought one. Unfortunately, ``the Mazda2 is still not coming to North America.'' I predict that Mazda will try to offset the loss of zoom, zoom through a transmission that can take the engine up to some pretty high revs so that it ends up a bit like Nissan's Sentra. Reportedly, if you drive a Sentra conservatively, it seems almost underpowered and certainly unexceptional. But if you rev up it high enough, it moves awful sudden.

Today is Friday. I look forward to the close of the business week. Weekends don't come quickly enough right about now. Today is also the last day of Greek class for the quarter. The final is on Monday. I should study.

So much more to say but words fail me.

Update [2007-6-1 12:29:35 by lm]: I was walking back to my car after Greek class. While crossing the street in the crosswalk, some buy in a passing car rolled down his window and shouted the word FUCKER at me. I've no idea why but perhaps it is related to the fact that once I returned to my car, I opened the door and turned too sharply, smaking my forehead with great force into the corner edge of the door. Now I'm bloody.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
a long walk on a summer's eve | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
If you miss a homeless companion by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 05:18:16 AM EST
I can see if Irish_sister and her son are interested in surfing to a new couch.

We don't have room for two more by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 05:20:21 AM EST
To be honest we don't even have room for the one more that is Homeless Lass.

While I hope to have a spare bedroom built in the basement by this time next year, I have my doubts as to just how far I'll get with the project.

Cicero, The Republic
children's menus and house prices by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 05:27:28 AM EST
My midgets have never really liked kids' menus. But they've been eating in restaurants from the year dot. An educated palate is such a blessing.

If my house were moved a mile it would increase in value by 200%. London is crazy like that. WPKAW wants us to move that mile.

CVT Transmissions by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 06:05:26 AM EST
My wife and I bought a 2007 Nissan Murano this year and it comes with a CVT transmission.

It is a bit of an odd thing to drive if you are used to the normal automatic transmission.  It is smooth, with none of the normal hiccups in motion you would normally associate with a standard transmission or a normal automatic transmission.

On the highway it hovers around 2000rpm, but when you put your foot in it, it suddenly goes to 6000rpm and you are surging ahead at what could almost be considered an alarming rate.

All and all it has been a nice little truck, but the CVT takes some getting used to.

Gedvondur
"Well, one of the two girls I'm friendly with out here is a Christian and she wouldn't do the things I want to do." --Sapphire

My brother has an A4 with the multitronic by Herring (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 06:56:53 AM EST
It's a good idea - but apparently they have to add a bit of a lurch forward when you set off, otherwise people feel odd.

I have thought that a technology that's worth a try is a gas turbine connected to CVT. Gas Turbines are more effecient than reciprocating cylinder engines but only really run well at one speed. CVT is the answer.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

There are an awful lot of really good cars by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 08:16:43 AM EST
that are not making it to the US market. Which is a shame. If the motor companies were more diverse and decentralised then it would probably happen, as it is rare a company can refuse the wealth of the US market. But if GM/Ford says it aint coming, and it is one of their subsidiaries, then it aint coming.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Which is why Toyota will clean their clocks by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 11:55:05 AM EST
Of course, the big T does this too which is the only reason I'm not driving a diesel powered car right now.

Cicero, The Republic
What was the diesel toyota you had your eye by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 01:30:25 PM EST
the Fit is a Honda model by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jun 01, 2007 at 04:45:33 PM EST
In Europe, Toyota offers a 1.4L turbo diesel engine on the Yaris. Supposedly it gets 50+ MPG (US).

Cicero, The Republic
a long walk on a summer's eve | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)