Print Story Sometimes, an extra inch is not good
Cycling
By georgeha (Wed May 09, 2007 at 07:35:06 AM EST) schwinn, ice cream, laments of working parents (all tags)
and where is the Husi gardening icon? I thought this was an English site.

Plus, getting down and dirty, struck out, street riding, socialness and less.

PS: I now have mod points

Poll: Most effective bike mod?

Dang, after care is expensive, right now we're spending 56-80 a week on after care. All told, I'm in a worse financial position than I was before Mrs. Ha started working. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, next week her schedule is part time. If it stays like that, things should improve. Probably not enough, though.

We did the Browncroft sale Sunday, a huge neighborhood garage sale held every other year, in a very nice neighborhood of the city (though lacking the pedestrian amenities ours has). I didn't buy a thing. The only things on my want list were good books, DS lite or gameboy advance cartridges, wargames and a hammock, none of which showed up.

Last night was nice, Mrs Ha got out early and picked up the girls, so I didn't have the race against the clock thing going on. Five year old and I transplanted some seedlings (two pots of  cilantro/coriander and two of parsley), then the four year old next door came over, and they played while I transplanted and planted more into my tiny garden (three cherry tomatoes, two cucumbers and lettuce). Newspaper_dad and his flock came by on their bikes, and offered to take ten year old up to the corner to get icecream. This was in reciprocity for taking newspaper girl for a ride Monday evening, when we went all over, stopping at the Porsche's too, and crossing over the expressway a few times.

We even rode on the sidewalks a bit, I'm not in favor of it generally, preferring to risk our lives (my usual ride is my $5 Huffy mountain bike with a malfunctioning front deraillleuer and a heavy hitchhiker attached for five year old to ride on) but we live in a world with cars and ten year old should learn how to ride in traffic safely. But, sometimes with younger kids along and protective parents  do the sidewalk thing, or, if it's a very busy street I'll do the sidewalk thing.

I'm thinking of fixing up my garage sale road bike, a 27 incher, for general solo riding. I forgot the name of it, but it was probably a decent roadbike in the 80's. It just needs a new chain, as the existing one kept falling off. Maybe I can fix it with my chain tool.

The bigger problem is my astronautical stature, at 5' 8" a 27 inch bike is just a little too big, I have to tippy toe it when I'm stopped. I could replace the wheels with the wheels from my 26 inch Sears Free Spirit, but I imagine the 17 inch wheels are much better. OTOH, a bike rack would then fit. Maybe I'll hack an inch off the seat post. Maybe I could just duct tape the seat to the cross bar. The Freespirit isn't a real option, the front crank is loose and wobbles every rotation.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Sometimes, an extra inch is not good | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
wipo: Go Fast stripes and a sissy bar. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed May 09, 2007 at 07:39:09 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I do have a spare Kawasaki saddle by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed May 09, 2007 at 07:44:35 AM EST
I could easily attach sissy bars to that, and put it on the push bike. Sweet.

WIPO by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed May 09, 2007 at 07:51:35 AM EST
playing card clipped on so it hits the wheel

Wha? by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed May 09, 2007 at 11:47:25 AM EST
Baseball card.  Preferably Tops, with the chewing gum in the pack.

cilantro by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed May 09, 2007 at 08:41:31 AM EST
watch it carefully when it gets hot out, that stuff will go to seed quickly and it's fairly useless after that.

what is the deal with mrs ha, is she just totally oblivious to "finanacial matters"?

No, she's taking on more bills by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 09, 2007 at 08:56:52 AM EST
right now it's her CC, Line of credit and the payments on the minivan. But, I've been paying some of the aftercare.

Once things stabilize, things should work out better, we're just not there yet.

Cilantro again by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 09, 2007 at 09:12:31 AM EST
(or, corriander). I've just planted a load from seed. Yes it does tend to bolt. Somebody told me to nip the central bud out so I'll try that this year. I love the stuff but I have trouble growing it.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
haven't heard that about the bud by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed May 09, 2007 at 10:21:34 AM EST
i go through a bunch every other week so i'd love to grow it, but i don't think it's even worth the effort here in texas. especially considering i keep my ac at 80deg (27c) minimum. plus it's like 50 cents at the most so not expensive.

It's nice though by Herring (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed May 09, 2007 at 10:38:53 AM EST
And the stuff you get ni the shop isn't that fresh so it looses something. If you just mix lemon juice, oilve oil, garlic & salt, put that over chicken, barbecue it then add chopped cilantro to serve, it's simple and great. But I must hook out my chicken tikka recipe for this summer.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Missing Poll Option: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed May 09, 2007 at 12:57:18 PM EST
  • Tiny gasoline engine.

• Take 5 thou' off the head by Phage (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 10, 2007 at 12:21:13 AM EST
    and buy some expansion chambers.

"have to tippy toe when stopped" by 256 (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu May 10, 2007 at 12:26:29 AM EST
    is bicycle parlance for "bike is exactly the right height".
    I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni