Print Story I forgot how much I like heroin
Music
By georgeha (Fri May 04, 2007 at 07:49:39 AM EST) Sabres in six, wieners, lolcats (all tags)
it really helped me in dark times in college.

Hot dogs too, I just love biting into a big hot juicy one.

and why is there no gardening icon?

Plus digging, riding, silly stupid and funny and less

Poll: Most perfect song?

Monday was a great evening, sunny and mild, and I decided to grill hot dogs (Sunday everyone in Buffalo was cooking them and listening to the Sabres, but we didn't stop and get any). I don't eat hot dogs often, but I do enjoy them, and I'm picky. I like them best when they're only seconds off the grill, still hot and steamy, with mustard, ketchup and pickles on them, on a toasted bun (I'm working my way up to Chicago style, condiment by condiment). Oh boy, those hot juices spurting in your mouth.

The whole week has had nice weather, though acting as a single parent it's been hard to enjoy. Yesterday I was able to turn over my small garden patch (about 10' x 2'), and while Mrs. Ha was at a rummage sale, took the girls and upstreet_boy for a long bike ride, running into Porsche-dad/girl/boy while we were out, and we all went for a ride.

This weekend we have the Browncroft sale, a great nieghborhood sale that occurs every two years. We'll probably go Sunday, I must stock up on muneez.

Heh, muneez, it probably says something dire about my mental state, but I've been getting a kick out of I can has cheezburger, something about anthropomorphosizing kittens and puppies with toddler speak is so cute. Nooo, it are my birthday!

My latest CD addition was the best of VU, and it had been a few years since I listened to Heroin. Boy, I used to love that song in college, I would use it to psyche myself up for another grueling session at the computer lab, or doing homework, or just walking the dark streets of state college and smoking the occasional unfiltered Camel and moping.

It's in the running for a near perfect song, it's got drugs, noise and dischord, angst, and even a few poetic lines.

In other listening news, I found a cassette with The Great Society on it. Grace Slick is very underrated.

< Back from the endocrinologist | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I forgot how much I like heroin | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by Billy Goat (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:35:20 AM EST
Thunder Road.

How could I forget Bruce! by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:40:34 AM EST
I've since remedied it.

But now I've got to change my WI. by Billy Goat (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:52:43 AM EST
So it ain't a PO.

That first WIPO is now officially a vote for XTC's "Sgt. Rock (Is Going to Help Me)."

Try and PO that, you PO-happy WIPO POer. I dare you.

I voted for Sgt. Rock by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri May 04, 2007 at 10:51:17 AM EST
because the Gods told me to. Although my favorite XTC song is 'Harvest Festival", or 'Great Fire', or 'That's really super, Supergirl', or 'Scissorman'. One of those.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
Acoustic or original? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon May 07, 2007 at 03:18:37 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yes. by Billy Goat (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon May 07, 2007 at 04:29:58 AM EST
I guess I'm thinking of it in the way you'd think of a play. Sure, certain performances of Hamlet might be worse than certain performances of Mama Mia; but when discussing the "greatest play ever," you're imagining a sort of cumulative effect or Platonic ideal that isn't one specific performance.

That said, I'm partial to the version that kicks of the live boxed set.

Ah Heroin by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:36:09 AM EST
In college I used to play that and imagine I was living amongst underground 1960s hipsters in New York and paint.

I played it when I was living in music hell by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri May 04, 2007 at 09:15:59 AM EST
My roommates had a kick ass stereo, with big ass Bose 901s, and preferred Bon Jovi or lite rock. Ackkk!

VU is one of my favorite albums of all time by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:38:47 AM EST
Velvet Underground was better on accident than most bands will ever be on purpose.

I liked Slick during her Airplane days. Most of what she's done since is either entirely unfamiliar to me or bores me to tears.

I hear you about dogs fresh off the grill. The owner of my company fired up his grill this afternoon. Despite it being a Friday, I indulged in a succulent and juicy bratwurst.

Cicero, The Republic
Is that a fish on friday thing, or a meat thing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:42:43 AM EST
cause I thought the fish on Friday was a papist relic.

Byzantine rite fasting rules by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:48:30 AM EST
On every Wednesday and Friday (except for the week after Pascha and the 12 days of Christmas), all of Great Lent, 40 days before Nativity, 14 days before the feast of the Dormition and a variable length fast before the feast of Saints Peter and Paul, Orthodox Christians abstain from all meat and dairy products, fish, olive oil and wine.

Well, the actual rules are a little more complicated than that. We get to eat fish and drink wine on feast days that fall during a fasting period. For example, the feast of the Annunciation always falls during Great Lent.

Cicero, The Republic
websense by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:40:32 AM EST
has blocked this diary due to sex/adult content, steaming juices spurting indeed.

WIPO -- the song that never ends..

Very amusing cheeseburger site.

hoist by my own petard by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:46:49 AM EST
well, not yet at least, until the next websense upgrade goes out.

kattalogen. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 04, 2007 at 08:53:14 AM EST

For all of your image macro with cats needs.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Since I'm listening to it at the moment: by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri May 04, 2007 at 09:09:00 AM EST
Wish you were here. Damn! Roger Waters is one insane and depressed guy...

I couldn't think of an appropriate Floyd song by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri May 04, 2007 at 09:18:57 AM EST
well, maybe Fat Old Sun.

Well by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri May 04, 2007 at 09:56:41 AM EST
I marvel at the things we find beneath the ground
And that man can go faster than the speed of sound
But I still can't get my head around
Bob Wilson, anchorman.

Sigur Ros' 'Olsen Olsen' (it's in feckin' waltz-time, too) and Muddy Waters' 'Tom Cat' (which could be found, if needed) never cease to invest me with the "Damn, I wish I'd written that ..." feeling (along with many others).
----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
So you were a proto-goth? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri May 04, 2007 at 01:09:00 PM EST
It's horribly inaccurate, oddly biased, and to top it all off they misspelled Linux.
Heh by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri May 04, 2007 at 02:26:27 PM EST

You haven't heard the Muddy Waters' track, have you?

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
apparantly not... by dmg (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri May 04, 2007 at 03:35:41 PM EST

Gardening at night. by Bartleby (4.00 / 1) #19 Sat May 05, 2007 at 02:38:52 AM EST
Not the WIPO, but the song your diary made me think of.

WIPO: "Sins of my father" by Tom Waits, unless I can include classical music. In that case the revenge aria (Tod und Verzweiflung) from the Magic Flute.

Yesterday I was invited to a meal of grilled Hornfisch (belonida, translations I've found are needlefish, garfish, garpike, hornpike, greenbone; take your pick). Tasty.

I guess that I just don't know by johnny (2.00 / 0) #20 Sat May 05, 2007 at 04:49:39 PM EST
I think "Chimes of Freedom" is the perfect song. I especially like the version sung by Elisa Gilkyson (& John Doe, etc).

I much prefer Black Star (Radiohead) to Dark Star.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.

WIPO by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon May 07, 2007 at 04:05:07 AM EST
Boy, am I a day late and a dollar short.

"Tunnel of Love" although "Wish You Were Here" and "Brain Damage/Eclipse" follow closely behind.

Cur etiam hic es?

Speaking of which, by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon May 07, 2007 at 04:13:24 AM EST
I still have to give Cyndi Lauper the nod for "most perfect rock lyric":

violets are blue, roses are red, love you baby, till I'm dead.

If that doesn't sum up high school angst, I don't know what does.

Cur etiam hic es?

WIPO by barooo (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue May 08, 2007 at 06:45:54 AM EST
"Moonshiner" by Uncle Tupelo.  It's the perfect narrative song.

"Gardening at Night" is another good one, although I think Nightswimming (and "Find the River" for the end-of-album one-two) is the best song REM ever did.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt