Print Story allotment
By boil (Thu May 03, 2007 at 05:19:11 AM EST) (all tags)
i've reached the age when my mind has turned to allotments

and yes....you will reach such a point, unless of course you are a suicide bomber, or have a terminal illness which is likely to kill you before you reach your mid forties.

Anyway, in an effort to become totally self sufficient, i'm thinking of the following 'crops': coca leaves, cannabis, little gem lettuce, beetroot, opium poppy, asparagus, raspberries and sponges (although i'm not sure if they will grow in times of drought).

what do ya think?

< ``Perhaps it’s surprising that there aren’t more disasters'' | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
allotment | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I thought coca was difficult to grow by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu May 03, 2007 at 05:31:55 AM EST
outside the Andes, at least productively. I have no idea how many bushes you would need either.

From my extensive research via Nickelodeon, sponges live under the sea, often in a pineapple.

i thought by boil (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 03, 2007 at 05:43:30 AM EST
that one or two bushes would keep me in cola for the year and i believe that sponges whilst needing a lot of water with a high salinity will grow well in a raised bed with plenty of well rotted manure

my ex m-i-l by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 03, 2007 at 06:08:04 AM EST
grew sponges from a trellis.

It's the law by motty (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 03, 2007 at 06:55:03 AM EST
All mothers-in-law grow sponges from a trellis. Some are shy, others are more open about it. But it is still the law.

I amd itn ecaptiaghle of drinking sthis d dar - Dr T
Chives by Herring (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu May 03, 2007 at 06:25:17 AM EST
If you grow chives around/among the beetroot and maybe the lettuce, it will keep pests off.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 03, 2007 at 06:48:52 AM EST
Everbearing raspberries can certainly put out the berries at a high rate, especially with enough water.

The problem with them is the constant need to pick them. Every damn day you need to pick them once they start.

That, and the price of raspberries won't exactly give you a living wage.  I am not sure if there are automated raspberry picking machines that are not made of meat.

If you live in the right climate, ginger is an excellent crop as well.

Mind you, you would be fucking insane to become a farmer.  A harder and more poor life I can't imagine.

Gedvondur
"Well, one of the two girls I'm friendly with out here is a Christian and she wouldn't do the things I want to do." --Sapphire

when society falls by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 03, 2007 at 07:41:12 PM EST