Print Story First Grade Presentation
Educashun
By muchagecko (Fri May 25, 2007 at 05:21:01 AM EST) homework, back in the old days, kids today (all tags)
Today the dude gives his presentation to the class.

Poll: homework

First grade seems kinda early for a class presentation, even for the advanced class. He wasn't given any class time to prepare, so I spent several hours with him fighting over what he needed to do. He's compulsive about a lot of things and getting him to brainstorm is rough. He'll come up with an idea then want to see it to fruition whether or not it serves him well. I can see we'll need to find study routines that work for him - without upsetting his need to finish everything.

It amazes me how much of my kid's education burden is placed on me. When I was a kid, I never asked my mother for help with any of my homework, or class projects. And look at me now - I turned out great (college degree and union job)! Would someone tell me why I can't have it as easy as my mother did?

He really wanted to present his rock collection. Honestly, I didn't feel we had enough time to classify all his rocks. I'd have to teach him about rocks (and relearn all I've forgotten). So after much debate, I finally talked him into using his Pokemon collection. Here are a couple of pages from his presentation brochure:
Pokemon classificationMy favorite Pokemon

I get to leave work early today (as long as we don't get flooded with work) to watch his big show. He was up at 4:00 this morning, anxious about the presentation. He couldn't sleep. He went back to bed at 4:30. Should a first grader have such stress? Maybe waiting a couple of years before having kids complete big school projects isn't a bad idea.

< I get my back into my living | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
First Grade Presentation | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That's 20 miles by Phage (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri May 25, 2007 at 05:29:20 AM EST
uphill, both ways, in the snow and carrying 25Kg of books.</yorkshire>

Barefoot. by ana (4.00 / 3) #9 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:14:20 AM EST
In the snow.

Power up your flaming yo-yos already! --StackyMcRacky

Damn ! by Phage (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:36:54 AM EST
Can't believe I missed that.

The ten year old's homework has scaled by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri May 25, 2007 at 05:32:17 AM EST
back this year, fourth grade seemed to have an awful lot. I can't recall first grade, but second grade had daily homework, often looking at Mars and drawing a picture of it.

I have a theory. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:02:20 AM EST
I think the better teachers give less homework.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
It was the same teachers though by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:05:07 AM EST
they usually loop, and teach the same class two years in a row.

I guess my theory is worthless. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:10:42 AM EST
Why in the world do they teach the same class for two years?

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
One data point does not invalidate a theory by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:13:49 AM EST
and it's a weird school, though my teacher sister-in-law is familiar with the looping idea. I guess the teachers really get to know the students.

Oh sure by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 25, 2007 at 05:45:31 AM EST
Look - We're going to be getting our arses kicked by the Chinese in a few years - now is not the time to get all soft on our kids.

In fact I think you should give him an ultimatum - either he aces this presentation or he sleeps on the lawn for a week. Turn the fire up a notch and toughen him up a bit.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

We were able to beat the Chinese. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 25, 2007 at 06:01:02 AM EST
Maybe we're going down because of the lead in the food ingredients from China.

Anyone for more green tea?

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

his penmanship is better than mine by Greener (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri May 25, 2007 at 07:40:33 AM EST
and I've got a 20 year head start.

friends with kids tell me by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri May 25, 2007 at 11:36:50 AM EST
that the school system is all screwed up.  the 2 things they complain about the most are 1) they only teach the standardized tests now and 2) the amount of homework that requires parental involvement is ridiculous (one friend tells me the assignments take up 2-3 hours a night for her 3rd grader, all of it requiring parents to participate).

some of them are considering homeschool, just so their kids can learn "the basics."

I can't even consider homeschooling, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue May 29, 2007 at 10:59:42 AM EST
as a single-parent. But I can find a better school system. Good schools were the biggest criteria in my apartment search.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.
yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri May 25, 2007 at 02:03:14 PM EST
anything that has a kid up at 4am.....not good.

Click
I'd not let my kids let homework stress them by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue May 29, 2007 at 07:22:44 AM EST
They have my full support to skive rather than letting them waste time and stressing over needless rubbish.

Did the kid get a written spec of what he was supposed to do? How long was the presentation anyway? Maybe the whole thing was overblown for a show and tell.

Actually, we blew off a large part by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue May 29, 2007 at 10:57:20 AM EST
of what was required to simplify the project. My son was supposed to write out his presentation on notecards - like a speech. That would have been torture. So we skipped it and just went over what he could say about his collection.

There was a little girl before my son who ran off crying because she skipped one of her cards and got confused.

Definitely not a show and tell. It's typically a fifth grade project - given to 1st graders. The program uses presentations for grading and starts the kids early.

The only people to get even with are those that have helped you.

First Grade Presentation | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback