Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Wed May 23, 2007 at 02:53:47 AM EST) A Day in the Life, screenshots, fonts, WTF (all tags)
Screenshots, Part Duh

My attempts to sleep last night were constantly interrupted by the sound of V1 attacks caused by the almost futile attempts of someone who shares the bed with me to continue being able to breathe. I'm feeling some effects but it's not quite the hell I'd expected.

The building is taking care of that, though. It's getting too hot to think in here in $MegaCorp's giant greenhouse, and being on the sunny side doesn't help. Why don't I move to the dark wing? Ripa sits there.

ATTENTION HELP-SEEKING INFIDELS: When I send you an explicit command to be run, follow my directions.

x-posted to da brog, sans important beef poll

"Open a command window (Start: Run: cmd) and execute the following statement: dir c:\windows\fonts >> fonts.txt

How difficult is that?

Quite, apparently. I knew there was a problem yesterday when I saw the size of the file they sent back. We all know how bloated Microsoft Word files can be, but the text listing of a couple hundred fonts can hardly bulk up a doc file to 2MB.

Screenshots. Of the fonts directory. With icons displayed rather than details.

This one's both not quite as bad as the last time and at the same time worse. The pictures were at least somewhat legible and certainly a more managable size, but they give me absolutely no information whatsoever about the fonts. Nothing. Names are cut off and there's no indication of file sizes.

I managed to convince them that I actually needed a text listing and asked them again to please run the command as I'd asked before. What was waiting for me when I got in today? Another doc file, but at 30K, it's possible they did what I'd asked.

The font I need information on is Batang which sounds remarkably similar to the noise my head makes as I thump it repeatedly into that spot in front of my keyboard.

< 2007.05.22: Toasted clams by Cylon Hubbard | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Heh. When I ask my Indian cow-orkers by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:11:58 AM EST
to run a query and save the result to send to me, I often get a file like your illustration #2 -- except with a SQLPlus command instead of a DOS command.

I. Feel. Your. Pain.

unnecessary hoops by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed May 23, 2007 at 08:13:02 AM EST
A co-worker once received a screen shot by fax. There was nothing wrong with the user's e-mail.

My best two by Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 24, 2007 at 09:36:03 AM EST
I once got a list of category names in an Excel spreadsheet. The guy had listed them all out in cells one below the other, then removed the cell borders from that area to make a nice, plain white rectangle.

On a different project, formal project documentation that was signed off by the client (eg the spec, change requests, etc) was printed out, sent to the client to be signed, returned to us, scanned in, and turned into a PDF. We then often worked from that, the original having been archived away Bog-only knows where. Quite often one or both of the "sending over" phases was by fax. It's the first time I've seen barely legible, crooked electronic documents...

This is not a psychotic episode. It is a cleansing moment of clarity.

Meat Is Murder! by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:34:00 AM EST
Yummy, yummy, murder. Mmmmm. Steak.

To properly cook a steak:
1) First, get a good cut. Nicely marbled. At least 2 CM thick. 3 or 4 is better.
2) The only treatment it needs is a bit of pepper, a dash of salt. Marinate in olive oil if it's a lower grade cut.
3) Bring it to room temperature.
4) Put it on the grill. Sear it on one side, flip it, sear it on the other. It should be heavily cooked on the outside, raw in the middle.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

IAWTP by Herring (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:47:45 AM EST
Sadly, many establishments seem to think "rare" means "a little pink right in the middle".

There's a good butcher near here (I've seen Jimmy White in there). Last time I got some fillet steak from him, Mrs. H. thought I was gross tasting it raw. It was bloody lovely though. And lovely bloody.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

That's called 'English' in Germany by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:54:35 AM EST
Meat in Germany usually comes "well-done", "extra well-done", "super extra well-done" and "burnt into fucking charcoal". If you want a steak rare here you have to specify "English". You also have to specify the cooking times on each side and make sure you get the waiter to repeat them back to you.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Oh Bog! I love you and want to have your children. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed May 23, 2007 at 07:22:49 AM EST

Your fault. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:45:00 AM EST
Surely you should have had a rundll32.exe command in the command line to send you the file by email after the file had been created.

So tempting. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:51:04 AM EST
I've actually considered writing some automated task to do all the basic info-grabbing but I don't know how to get screenshots of the damned MSINFO start-up screens (which need to be widened in order to show the full fucking path and switches) since I don't know any way to export that info.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Yeah, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed May 23, 2007 at 04:05:37 AM EST
but as if their admins would let them run that software.

that is surreal by R343L (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed May 23, 2007 at 05:44:07 AM EST
I mean it somewhat makes me feel better about some of the questions I've been asked (but at least they asked a question), but wow.

Rachael