Print Story 2007.05.23: Sylar the Cylon, the ticking toaster
By BlueOregon (Wed May 23, 2007 at 03:04:59 PM EST) (all tags)

It's the Lost season finale, and over at Salon Daniel Zaleswki provides a brief essay that more or less sums of my views about the show and why I like it.

Inside: GPotD.

Und Tänzen gibst.
Sei ewig glücklich,
Wie du mich liebst!

—By Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

II

A.
Goethe's “May Song” is only superficially a song about May and spring and the blossoming of nature and more clearly a love poem. Since I have no need of or use for love poems these days, I prefer to think of this as a couple-days-late anniversary poem for ana and toxicfur (ana to tf? tf to ana? Take your pick).

Kline usually has a good sense of/for the poetic, though the short verses of this lyric excursion provide little room for play or poetry, and the short verses, I find, work better in German than in English. What Goethe does is rhyme the 2nd and 4th verse of each stanza, though the 2nd is an exception. Kline remains close, though is more likely to aim for the vowel than the vowel-plus-consonant. Notice that Goethe alternates between 5 and 4 syllables; but really it's feet, not syllables, which are important, and Kline remains close, though he has a longer line or two, and he often switches the long and short around.

B.
Happy birthday to the dead Swede Carl Linnaeus (300th birthday).

There was no cake. There were no candles. There was just a bunch of middle-aged men standing around in the back room of the library at the New York Botanical Garden yesterday, talking about the birthday boy and sex.

Such an 18th-century sort of person. Goethe wrote of him, “With the exception of Shakespeare and Spinoza, I know no one among the no longer living who has influenced me more strongly.” While not referenced directly, he was at least in the background when I was doing my laundry yesterday, reading parts of Structuralist Poetics (1975), and skimming a section on taxonomy.

C.
I stopped by Fair Trade again today and it was nearly deserted, and not even the comfy chairs near the front windows were taken when I arrived.

My arrival itself had been delayed due to what I have already referred to as a very special bus. Due: 12:15. Arrived: 12:25. Cause? probably the wheelchair, but the other crazy-eyed riders can not be discounted, such as the clearly wild and aggressive one who met my eyes and tracked me as I made it down the crowded aisle. A seated predator restrained only because like so many others she was packed sardine-like into the blue plastic seats. I stood for a while but then managed to get a narrow seat as well, and I squished my arms in front of me, pulled out The Egyptologist, and read a few pages as we rolled down the streets. Riding the 4 is a pleasure in a way because it makes me feel better about myself.

Over at Fair Trade I was handed my iced coffee before I had a chance to order it; the new barista has been trained. A number of local businesses on State Street had been using a service called “Cafe Connection,” which started out years ago as a wireless service for which the users paid. Evidently—since I was not aware that this is what Fair Trade and others were using—either they or the coffee shops had switched to free access for the users (with the businesses picking up the tab), but like yesterday wireless at Fair Trade was down, but we were also informed that the situation was similar at Espresso Royale and others, and Fair Trade's solution to CC's inability to maintain a decent connection is to switch providers ... which will, alas, take a few days. I'll be out of town by then.

III

For new dances
New poetry.
Be happy forever,
As you love me!

—Translated by A.S. Kline
< You're comforting thought of the day | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
2007.05.23: Sylar the Cylon, the ticking toaster | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
I wonder by R343L (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 23, 2007 at 04:05:57 PM EST
Is there some internet site that users post to that says "this coffee shop has wireless, this one does not"? Because the various restaurant / business review sites aren't so helpful as you generally have to read thru every review to have any idea.

Really, if I want to internet in a public place, I should just use the library's free wifi as then I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on coffee and pastries I really don't need.

I search for Panera when I travel by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed May 23, 2007 at 05:06:51 PM EST
but then our customers are often in suburban areas where Panera's exist.

google it by aethucyn (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed May 23, 2007 at 05:50:14 PM EST
something like "your city free wireless" and see what you get. If you don't get anything, then it's probably time for you to start a site and use it as an excuse to go to every coffee shop in town.

that does sound like a good idea by R343L (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed May 23, 2007 at 06:39:10 PM EST
The coffee shop going I mean.

There are a few city wifi, but the ones I've tried sucked. Oh well.

Rachael

Arby's runs a nice network. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 24, 2007 at 12:40:53 PM EST
You just have to buy a Jamocha shake per hour to use it.

Lost by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu May 24, 2007 at 04:39:50 AM EST
with finale spoilers, largely untagged.

I don't have a problem, per se, with mysteries remaining mysteries on "Lost." I don't want everything explained right now because ever since The Hatch (TM) I have had zero faith that the Revelations will make me go "ohhhhh" instead of "whatever." See, I don't mind mysteries on "Heroes" (even the questions unanswered by the end of Season 1) because whenever we've gotten answers, most of the time I've gone "awesome!" rather than "that was it?" -- partly because they don't dangle the Mystery as a huge thing that they're not telling you and they're going to keep not telling you, and not telling you ... so that nothing can be worth all the manufactured anticipation. (The "Heroes" finale might have been anticlimactic but I'm a total callback whore so it pleased me on that level.)

The other thing that annoys me is that they've painted themselves in a corner with the flashbacks where they hardly show us anything we don't already know (except for the Others' flashbacks, and there are only so many of those they can do). I like it when they break with the usual template, but they don't do it very often.

I can't believe the Salon article used "Exposé" as an example of how the Writers Had a Plan All Along, though. I thought it demomstrated that they had tried to quietly supplement the thinning cast with pretty people who were there all along, wink, wink, but who didn't add anything except audience annoyance, so they cut their losses. What did that episode accomplish other than disposing of disposable characters? It could be argued that it was part of the "establish Sawyer as the new leader" arc, but then Jack came back (*sings* the very next day ...) and started bossing people around again. Shut up, Jack.

Speaking of Jack ... the finale could have done with about 75% less Jack. I hate Jack; I hate FlashJack; I hate AlternaFutureJack. I wanted to high-five Rose for her "If you say 'live together, die alone' one more time ..." line. Why do they let him lead when almost everything he does, sucks? And he can't even tell when Hurley isn't with them anymore (how could you miss him? But on the other hand, there was at least some justification for making us sit through a whole episode about the Magic Bus -- woo!)

On the other hand, the Charlie and Desmond show rocked. When the last act break came, I said to D, "Why doesn't the show end here? Instead we're going to have to go back to Jack, who will suck." And we did, and he did, and I like Locke a lot less than I used to. Why does no one explain their reasons for doing anything, ever? 'Cause Jack is such a Man o' Faith, not? If Locke had even said "WAAAAAALLLLLLLLT said not to!" then wouldn't Jack at least have stopped to listen, or at least to ask Locke what he was smoking this time? But no, that's not how they do things on the Island.

The ending turned out to be better than I thought, but the article's still wrong in that the show's obtuseness isn't to put you in the place of the castaways trying to make sense of it all -- there's just plain obtuseness for the sake of obtuseness, as in the mystery guy whose identity I knew would never be revealed because this is that kind of show, and they were going to rub your face in their non-revelation of it for two whole hours. Gah.

I don't know what it is about this show. It isn't exactly bad, it just knows how to piss me off.

"If a tree is impetuous in the woods, does it make a sound?" -- aethucyn