Print Story attention canadian infidels
Puzzles & Riddles
By aphrael (Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:16:52 PM EST) (all tags)
how do i read gas prices here?

i keep seeing signs that say things like "114,9". now, i don't believe that the charge is $114,90/litre; the economy couldn't function if that were true.

But I have no idea what the signs do mean.

Can anyone help?

< spasticus emeritus | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
attention canadian infidels | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
$1.149/litre? by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:19:54 PM EST
A lot of gas stations in North Carolina, at least (haven't noticed it here), have a thousandths-of-cents column, and it's always a '9'. Usually smaller than the rest of the numbers, and raised a bit.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye
Tenth of a cent, you mean? n/t by Captain Tenille (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:21:10 PM EST

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

Heh. Oops. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:22:41 PM EST
Meant thousandth of a dollar. Thanks.
-----
if i had to guess by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:23:33 PM EST
i'd say it means $1,149/liter. But the sign says "114,9", so if that's true, it means it's priced in cents, when everything else is priced in dollars.

114.9/litre? 114.9/litre?!? by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 22, 2007 at 12:36:14 PM EST
I'd love to fill up at 114.9/litre. I got shafted at 130.9 last time I fueled up (actually, more like 145.9, as I use 91 octane).

But yes, that does work out to $1.149/litre. I have no idea why gas is listed in cents, my guess is because they used to think it would save putting the "$0." in front of all the prices...

Those were the days....

-mh
[Mostly Harmless]

I think when all the signs were made by Greener (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue May 22, 2007 at 01:37:02 PM EST
They didn't anticipate it breaking a buck a litre.

It's nice to know someone's getting it worse than I am. It's only 125.9 a litre here.

LED signs got very popular after that by MostlyHarmless (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 22, 2007 at 09:37:25 PM EST
I think it's back down to 123.9 now, but we also get hit with the Translink gas tax (at 8c/litre, or something)
[Mostly Harmless]
I didn't want to hear that. by Greener (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed May 23, 2007 at 08:07:53 AM EST
I think other than up north we're one of the most expensive towns for gas in the country.

And only one of the 5 gas stations in town has made the switch to LED.

91 octane's high? by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 22, 2007 at 02:28:34 PM EST
They only sell 95 and 98 here in UKia. But it's about $2 something Canadian a litre. Also they calculate octane ratings differently.

This is irrelevant to me, because I go to a bloke in a little workshop who has a pump clearly marked 'not for trade' who fills my car with fuel until he sees it come up the filler neck. He does have a certificate on the wall for each batch of fuel to show it's EN standards compliant though.

apparently montreal is cheaper for petrol by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed May 23, 2007 at 04:48:41 PM EST
Gas by me0w (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue May 22, 2007 at 01:12:52 PM EST
It means that gas costs $1.149/litre. So basically if you purchase 50 litres it will cost you $57.45.

answer by theantix (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 22, 2007 at 02:43:36 PM EST
What me0w said.  With the additional commentary that things got really screwed up when gas spiked from $0.30 to >$1.00/L in a matter of a couple years.  Lots of signs simply were not equipped to deal with that, so sometimes they left off the first digit -- or all sorts of weirds funky methods.

Basically you just have to use common sense.  Gas is going to cost the same pretty much everywhere within a few cents, so it should be pretty easy to deduce.
____________________________________
I'm sorry, but your facts disagree with my opinion.

pretty much the same everywhere by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed May 23, 2007 at 04:47:18 PM EST
i wouldn't necessarily hold to be true; something like a third of the cost of gas in california is taxes, for example, and taxes vary wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

attention canadian infidels | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback