Print Story So that's where the oil is coming from
Motorbikes
By georgeha (Fri May 18, 2007 at 07:33:27 AM EST) epoxy, ADD (all tags)
aka git out the JB Weld!

Plus first start, the postmortem and less.

Poll: Biggest World War II flamewar?

I must admit I'm pretty burned out, the last 8 weeks took a huge toll on me. I'm ready to stop discussing that job.

My prayer is that Mrs. Ha finds a fun, challenging but not to challenging, decently paying part time job. I'd settle for 2 out of 3.

She is looking at the wants ads, though.

Last night Mrs. Ha met up with preschool mom and took the girls to the Lilac Festival, Rochester's first big festival of the year. I mowed some of the lawn, checked my plants (fricking squirrels are eating my basil) and decided to start wrenching.

I put the battery back in, and with a modest amount of starting fluid got the Kz to run. I need to adjust the throttle cables, 3k is way to high of an idling speed.

Then, I started tracking down the oil leak under the dynamo cover. I assumed it was the main shaft missing the oil seal, which I could replace with some O rings. Now, I don't think so.

I reckon I can take the redneck way out of this and patch it with JB Weld, I'm just no in the mood for a complete lower end rebuild, and I may not even be able to get a lower end gasket kit.

I'm hoping for a good weekend, my parents are taking the kids overnight for the first campout of the year.

I've been reading lots of consimworld, so I can pretend I have friends. If I were so inclined, I could troll it up, but I won't. I will post a list of the biggest flamewar topics I could find.

< I'm not so certain that this is a good thing | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
So that's where the oil is coming from | 28 comments (28 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I hear WalMart is hiring. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri May 18, 2007 at 07:43:39 AM EST
Would one out of three do?

Is JB Weld like red RTV? I've re-gasketed a few cars with that stuff.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

JB Weld is some sort of epoxy by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri May 18, 2007 at 07:48:08 AM EST
which retains strength to 600 degrees, which should be fine for a crankcase/block joint that shouldn't be under too great of pressure.

I bought some blue locktite, too, in case the squirrels ate my last tube, for the crankshaft bolt that attaches the dynamo/starter gear.

You really think . . . by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri May 18, 2007 at 07:56:58 AM EST
It took as much as whole candy bar to get British and French women to drop their knickers?

There was a war on. Like embarrassing jingoistic songs and blackouts, an increased rate of knicker dropping is just one of those things that happens when a war's on.

I'm just trying to figure out why the Brits love by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:31:53 AM EST
Hershey bars, especially when there's much better chocolate out there.

Valid question. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:36:40 AM EST
But I think we can eliminate it as a cause of knicker droppage. Or else we'd be at a loss to explain the statistically significant amount of knicker dropping French women did for Germans as well.

Only a valid question, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #25 Sat May 19, 2007 at 06:35:56 AM EST
if we can assume that it actually is true that Brits like Hershey bars. Myself, I don't, and know few people who do. But there appear to be enough that the odd delicatessen will sell them.

From someone who grew up within by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat May 19, 2007 at 08:52:13 AM EST
driving distance of Hershey, PA. I would like to ask just how much chocolate the UK was producing when the yanks were "over paid, over sexed, and over there".

Women do weird things when deprived of their chocolate.

Wumpus

Good point. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #27 Sat May 19, 2007 at 09:11:00 AM EST
3 ounces per week of sweets, according to the ration. How much of this was available as chocolate, I don't know.

She's still working ??? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:02:57 AM EST
I may be out of the loop but isn't the lovely Mrs. Ha gainfully employed?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

She put in her notice yesterday by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:30:10 AM EST
I'm disappointed I'm not on your hotlist.

Oh you are! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:56:52 AM EST
I'm just rather lax about reading them all.

Well - chin up - there's got to be plenty of part-time jobs that will accommodate her. In fact here at McMurphies we have a couple part-timers who work funky hours to let them tend to family needs.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Flamewars by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:11:44 AM EST
Monty was a good general. He certainly had a high opinion of himself. But he did win battles. Pretty good, as generals go. Even Patton admitted that. Hard to make a flameware out of it.

Patton was better than Rommel. Now this is good flamewar fodder.

The Axis could have supplied Rommel better in North Africa Can't really comment on this one as logistice in North Africa aren't something I've looked at closely.

The Soviet union beat the Germans Well, they did. So did the US and the UK.

The Germans never could have one One what?

The Germans could have won without Hitler Without Hitler, would they even have started it?

The Sherman was a piece of junk/The Sherman was good tank Yes and Yes.

Hershey bars were so good British and French women dropped their knickers for them CRwM has answered this one.

Market Garden was insane The British drop zones were. The concept was good.

The Battle of the Bulge was insane For the Germans, certainly.

The Bismark is way overrated All battleships were overrated. WW2 was an aircraft carrier war.

The A bombs were dropped to frighten the Russians I don't think "frighten" is the proper word, and that wasn't the main intent, but...

Roosevelt/Churchill knew about Pearl Harbor ahead of time Almost. If we had decrypted and translated the Japanese messages just a bit faster... And Churchill did know about Coventry ahead of time...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Coventry by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:34:57 AM EST
And even admitted it in his own memoir.

I've been reading his WWII books, and his comments on North Africa lead me to think that it'd have been hard to supply Rommel better. At points, he seems to consider the supplies Rommel did get a British failure.

But I think it overlooks the real issue, which is that to the Germans, the whole Egyptian campaign was of secondary importance.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Yeah WWII trucks have about a 400 mile by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri May 18, 2007 at 09:00:31 AM EST
supply chain limit, before it takes geometric progression to get just a little more out. And it's about 400 miles from Tobruk to El Alamein, with no harbors in between.

The RAF/RN would have prevented a harbor from being built, the Italian Navy had no beachable landing craft things, and they only had one ship with the crane capacity to haul a locomotive, and not enough ships to bring railroad supplies over.

the other German fantasy is to drive through Egypt, conquer Iraq and Iran, and assault the Russians through Iran.

darn that typoe! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:35:19 AM EST
There are lots of WWII buffs who think the Germans could have won with a strategy (besides humiliate the French and go East), they mostly have a hardon because the Germans had cool equipment and stylish uniforms.

Other's think the Soviet Union was nigh unconquerable, and once the US was drawn into, the US industrial based assured a defeat.

It depends by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:44:06 AM EST
I think it depends on how much leeway you give the Germans in diverging from what they actual did. Do you allow them to not attack the Soviet Union? Do you allow them to tell the Japanese that any war with the US is their own problem?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
In gaming, you call it the Crazy Hitler factor by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri May 18, 2007 at 09:02:16 AM EST
and some of the newer games (compared to the Third Reich of our youth), use cards to portray what actions you can take, randomly drawn.

I've seen graphs claiming to be by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri May 18, 2007 at 01:06:44 PM EST
maps based on what the Germans (planning Barbarossa) figured their maximum length of supply lines would be, and they were a way short of Moscow. They were probably short of Stalingrad. Note that this can also be assumed to be only for summer.

The only winning move is not to play.

Wumpus

Pearl Harbour was common knowledge by cam (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri May 18, 2007 at 09:43:06 AM EST
from this article (and a No.2 Sqn history):

An Australian Flight Officer, Bob Law-Smith from No.2 squadron Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) was flying Lockheed Hudson aircraft over the Timor Sea. He related to the Squadron's historian;
When we [No.2 sqn RAAF] arrived in Darwin [Northern Territory] from Laverton [Victoria] on the 6th of December [1941], the aircrew briefing informed us we were to move to action stations at our designated base at Koepang [Dutch Timor]. When we asked why, the answer was Japan was about to attack Pearl Harbor and war with Japan was imminent. It is now clear in retrospect, and especially in view of declassification of much formerly secret material, that from whatever sources our briefing statements were derived, the Australian Government was in no doubt that we should be in a state of war readiness after arriving at Koepang.

And Law-Smith from a speech he made in 1991;

While we were out on patrol we would be sent a signal that the Japanese were going to bomb Pearl Harbor - when the signal came through, if we found any Japanese ship we may bomb it. This is an interesting bit of history as this was several days before the Japanese did bomb Pearl Harbor - it is all in my log book. Now, I was the lowest form of life in the Air Force - any lower and I'd be out the bottom - so it wasn't a matter of very senior people being privileged to this information.

Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic
Couple points here by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #28 Sun May 20, 2007 at 09:30:45 AM EST
One, Dec 6 in AU is Dec 7 in US... That said, the US was expecting an attack on Pearl Harbor, but they were expecting submarines and saboteurs and so prepared for those sorts of attacks.The preparations they made to defend against subs and sabotage were exactly the wrong preparations for defending against an airstrike.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 18, 2007 at 08:21:36 AM EST
Here.

Good luck finding the leak and getting the bike back out on the road.
-----
inspiritation: the effect of irritating someone so much it inspires them to do something about it. --BuggEye

Eisenhower botched D-Day by johnny (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri May 18, 2007 at 09:00:26 AM EST
Well, not too many people argue that, since the outcome was what it was.  But you hear from time to time that the bombing beforehand was stupid, since it did not do any real damage and only served as an alert that the invasion was coming.  Nevertheless I think whole books have been written about how Eisenhower botched D-Day.
... this is dreamworld after all... it isn't? Shit.
It can be safely said, by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri May 18, 2007 at 02:01:11 PM EST
that Rommel botched it worse. That said, I've read a few first hand reports of it and they insist it was a <span class="spoiler">clusterfuck</span>.

On the other hand, I think putting Ike in charge was probably genius. First, he was the quartermaster general, and presumably the best at logistics. Second, he was good at politics, which might even have been more important than logistics (unlikely). Sure, it sucks to be on those beaches due to weakness in strategy/tactics, but it is far, far, worse to be on the receiving end of an artillery squad which isn't worried about where the next shell is coming from.

Wumpus

WIPO by dmg (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri May 18, 2007 at 11:03:36 AM EST
"We saved your Limey asses if it wasn't for us, you would all be goose-stepping and speaking German now..."
STFU UP ALL OF YOU. I haven't seen this many assholes in all my life.
Only ever said by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #19 Fri May 18, 2007 at 12:59:49 PM EST
By the type of people who you can quite easily picture earnestly collaborating, had they been in a nazi occupied country.

The only response is to say "I didn't know you were a Soviet."

you win by wumpus (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri May 18, 2007 at 02:05:04 PM EST
Of course Husi is the place where you can point out "you would be speaking Japanese" to the Aussies, right where the Brits can see it.

Wumpus

re: the Sherman tank by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri May 18, 2007 at 02:15:33 PM EST
Quantity has a quality all of its own.

Ja, a Tiger can destroy ten Shermans by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #24 Fri May 18, 2007 at 02:32:05 PM EST
too bad they came in bunches of 15.