Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:03:53 AM EST) A Day in the Life, micromanagement, WTF (all tags)
No Rest for the ReallyEvil

ATTENTION MY MANAGER INFIDEL:

Have you not noticed that my productivity has dropped by about half since I was transferred to your group? You sure as shit notice all the escalations that are coming in on my tickets. Have you stopped to ask yourself why this might be?

LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE AND LET ME GET MY WORK DONE.

x-posted to da brog, sans poll.

Sit your ultramicromanaging ass back down in your comfy chair and get back to writing your useless fucking 12-page management-speak presentations which have less actual content than a 7-year-old's blog and let my do my fucking work!

There is no fucking reason in the world that I need to respond to every fucking mail you send out. There is no fucking reason for you to send 25 mails a day about the same goddamned ticket -- I can't do a fucking thing until the customer WAKES THE FUCK UP, GOES TO HIS FUCKING OFFICE IN OKLAHOMA SEVEN HOURS BEHIND US AND ANSWERS MY LAST FUCKING UPDATE. There is no fucking reason for you to sit over my shoulder like a fucking vulture, interrupting me while I'm building four different environments using one machine to connect to three slow-in-the-geological-sense virtual servers while at the same time answering a completely different ticket on another computer. There is no fucking reason that fully half of all my keypresses should go to answering mail you've sent me.

No. Fucking. Reason. in the world.

Stop it. These constant interruptions -- along with two "meetings" a day to chew me out for my lack of responsiveness which "we" talked about in the previous "meeting" -- only serve to send me in a downward spiral from which I can't escape unless I stop taking any tickets whatsoever, because while you're busy chewing me out and then sending me two dozen mails asking me "where we stand" with each customer I'm dealing with, I'm not actually DEALING with them. Why can't you understand this?!

Leave me the fuck alone! Go to your office, stay away from the CubeDesk of Hate, and watch customer satisfaction once again soar. Or don't, and watch our people drown in the additional load that I'm not taking.

Now, back to the fucking Citrix install. Yes, Citrix. I'm turning to the Even Darker Side. I have my reasons.

< 10:38 and I hope I've made the right decision | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
One is tempted to ask by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:13:11 AM EST
Why are you responding to the 25 emails per day?

Just one email, perhaps at midday giving a summary of where you are up to on all jobs would solve teh problem. Even better, just simply give links to teh tickets in your mail. :-)

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Why? by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:30:57 AM EST
Because she demands that EVERY. SINGLE. FUCKING. MAIL. she writes to me is answered, individually. If an answer hasn't been returned within an hour for even one, it's "We need to talk" time... again.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

autoresponders.... by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:32:03 AM EST
...are your friend.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
A pedant writes. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 10, 2007 at 08:03:09 AM EST
Well, wait until there's an email in the queue which hasn't been answered for just less than an hour, and then answer the three that have arrived in that timeframe all at once.

But I know you didn't mean it quite literally. And I know exactly the issue.

You need an excuse to drink more? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:13:45 AM EST
What kind of a drunken yob are you, anyway?

Citrix? Time to update the old CV and, when the new job is all lined up, send this blog entry around in an e-mail to the manager's manager with "BCC: the world".

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I just left a manager like that by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 10, 2007 at 07:22:23 AM EST
It's quite nice here....<touch wood effect cube-desk.>

new manager? by webwench (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 10, 2007 at 08:11:20 AM EST
(S)he just needs to be broken in a bit. They're all like that to start with.

Getting more attention than you since 1998.

Nope. by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu May 10, 2007 at 09:40:43 AM EST
She's been here longer than I have. I'm the one they haven't been able to break, to their benefit. It's Vera, and she seems to value having her bullshit ultramicromanagement bullshit and power games adhered to much higher than actually getting work done.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

I hate to suggest it, but HR? [n/t] by Herring (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu May 10, 2007 at 10:28:51 AM EST

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
i think i know what your problem is by alprazolam (4.00 / 6) #8 Thu May 10, 2007 at 08:23:45 AM EST
you're not a woman ;)

seriously though, why not go on the offensive here? rather than waiting for her hourly status requests, set up a template and fill it out with the status of every single ticket you have and set it to her either every 20 minutes or after every update. so that even if you only update 1 ticket she gets an email listing the status of all of them.

Don't you have some kind of by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu May 10, 2007 at 08:33:56 AM EST

Issue-tracking system?

"Dear Boss. We have purchased expensive technology for precisely these kinds of distracting, costly and unnecessary updates. Learn to use the issue tracker. Bye."

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Like *cough*Remedy*cough* by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu May 10, 2007 at 01:04:15 PM EST
The cure is almost worse than the problem.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
This requires that her boss be sensible by dn (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu May 10, 2007 at 05:03:27 PM EST
Let the useless emails slide until she comes to "counsel" you.

Then reply to each one. Individually. Apologize in each one for not meeting her expectations. Explain why no immediate response was needed, and warn that this constant distraction is breaking your concentration for, you know, your real work. Document the amount of time it has taken to reply to each email, including time to restart the interrupted task. Document which customer contract was neglected to do her busywork. Be concise and professional.

And Bcc: her boss every stinking time.

Her boss ought to get the point in two days, tops.

And Citrix? I've been away for half a year. Was this the $CITRIX_HATING_APP we were reading about six months ago?

I ♥