Print Story A Day in the Life
Working life
By ReallyEvilCanine (Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 03:16:44 AM EST) A Day in the Life, wine, Xeon, WTF, pie (all tags)
Red, Red Whine

Dinner last night was Vispannetjes, a Flemish fish stew cooked for me as I worked on rebuilding my network, the phone and DSL having finally been switched on Tuesday evening. Only a month late: not bad for Germany. I no longer have to borrow my neighbour's unsecured wireless network which has connect speeds indicative of a Hayes Accura 33.6 Modem.

Made with salmon and pollock in a creamy sauce with mushrooms and cheese, it was quite tasty. It's also made with red wine. I don't have "cooking wine" at home because I won't cook with any wine I wouldn't drink, and there are enough cheap yet drinkable wines which are fine for cooking and only cost a few euros a bottle. Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton Cadet Bordeaux is not one of these. Running around €40-100 a bottle this is stuff you drink slowly and enjoy. You can cook with it, but unless your name is J. P. Moneybags, you probably won't... unless you happen to be my girlfriend.

The wine she served with dinner? Five-euro-a-bottle merlot. The stuff I got for cooking. Because then we'd be drinking the same wine all evening.

x-posted to da brog.

I think my girlfriend's fraternal twin Clancy works for $BigEasternTelco.
Hi, we have a serious performance problem after upgrading our production system from version 2.2.a to 3.4.c.12. Everything works perfectly in our test environment but once we rolled out to Production the system slows to a crawl and starts hanging and requires restarting.
The system logs looked fine. The database was under a bit of a load at times but that's nothing out of the ordinary. Strange that the load drops in a short time though... I asked for -- and received -- fully verbose system logs and checked them again. Things looked normal until people started logging in.

I asked for the OS performance logs. The CPUs were all pinning at 100% in a short time. Yeah, that could do it. But Clancy said everything ran sweet when they'd put double the standard user load on the Test system which comprised two brand new, dual quad-core 3GHz Xeons with 16GB of memory. Hmm... and what's the Production system running on?

Four boxes, each running a single 500MHz PIII Xeon with 1GB of memory.

Fuckwits.

< Buffy Buffy Buffy (as sung by the Kaiser Chiefs) | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Test. Environment. MUUUST! MATCH! by greyrat (4.00 / 5) #1 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 03:22:44 AM EST
Production. Environment.

If I had a dollar for every time I had to repeat that...

Well, really by debacle (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 04:59:24 AM EST
It looks like they're testing on quite a nice live environment, and rolling out on the spare parts I've got in my basement.

Why? by Herring (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 05:02:11 AM EST
The tests don't match what will happen in the production environment.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
You, sir, are working at the wrong place. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 05:35:11 AM EST
I make developers cry and managers tear their hair every day in order to prevent our customers from doing the same.

No I'm not by Herring (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 06:38:19 AM EST
a) I'm not working
b) It's not the place, it's the people.

I have tried to sell a few revolutionary ideas but the management are unimpressed by statements like "if you don't have enough information to write the test plan, you don't have enough information to write the code".

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Nope by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 06:56:47 AM EST
The test environment should be *slower* to force people to optimize.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Heh. Down this comment chain... by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 07:07:55 AM EST
...lies insanity.

...and dragons.

pessimist! by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 08:17:06 AM EST
I'll never undestand why pessimism is so rare in this industry.

Although I do understand why it's undervalued.

I've already told this story by gazbo (4.00 / 3) #2 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 03:41:18 AM EST
But what the fuck, here we go anyway:

I bought my brother a bottle of '77 vintage port.  Obviously this needed to be decanted, which he did befre taking the baby for a walk.  When he came back home, he saw the decanter, sparkling clean having been washed up.  His girlfriend exlained she'd thrown away the "old leftover wine".

Grounds for divorce? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 04:36:56 AM EST
NT

count your blessings by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 08:19:09 AM EST
At least she cooks.

At least she didn't by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 10:44:59 AM EST

put the Jack Herer in the stew and try to smoke the oregano.

----